What Happens When You Run Lean With Nitrous

tawss04

Here is a picture of my knocking noise from my weekend at NHRA Unleashed.

Interlachen-Florahome-20101113-00030.jpg

It didn't do any damage to the cylinder at all. At the very least I am going to put in a set of GM Performance LSX forged pistons, they are the flat-top 4.065 pistons. If the budget permits with the tax return I my go with a full rotating assy. Not sure what C.I.D. I do have a set of LS6 heads and cam too. We'll see what happens :fingersx:

so is that a broken ring land or a broken ring?? kinda hard to see. once i had a bad back fire and lost #7 cylinder. drover it for like 50 miles with no problem it just would smoke under a load. it ended up cracking from one side of the piston to the other. piston still came out in one piece. just lost like 60Psi in that cylinder.

so is that a broken ring land or a broken ring?? kinda hard to see. once i had a bad back fire and lost #7 cylinder. drover it for like 50 miles with no problem it just would smoke under a load. it ended up cracking from one side of the piston to the other. piston still came out in one piece. just lost like 60Psi in that cylinder.

That sucks, is that part of the piston that's broke off in the pic or is that part of the ring?

That is a broken ring land. surpisingly it did not damage anything even the head. I could just replace the piston and put it back together but were's the fun in that :jester:

Wow looks like detonation more than going lean. What do the spark plugs look like? Where did you have the timing set at ? Also what jets were you useing?

The marks are from the broken peice bouncing around in there. It did run lean and detonte though. As fow the timing I'm not sure what is was set at, the PCM was tuned by PCMfor less with a nitrous tune a few years ago. As for the jets the fuel was a .036 and the Nitrous was a .075 and I must have F-ed up it was suppose to be a .071 :banghead: Oh well good excuse to build an engine :crackup: