Gmc Syclone Rebuild!

Quinnster

Well.... I killed the heart of the Syclone about 1 month ago, and have started the rebuild. I completely killed every piece in the short block, but I already bought a used long block and sent it to the machine shop, so in about 2 weeks the build begins! I'm going to try and make it into the low 11's or 10's, but build the crap outta the short block so I can't kill it. So far its lookin like the block bored 10 over since it was very clean, Cunningham rods, CP pistons, stock crank, 4 bolt mains, Haven't decided what cam quite yet, but a bit more aggressive than stock, and Brodix heads. I'm still researching the rest, so stay tuned!

And here it sat for 3 weeks 120 miles from home...

0f81a1d2.jpg

Until my dad let me use his bobcat trailer and truck when I got back from a work trip!

7bb94a3f.jpg

The damage of the broken rods!

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

And the beginning of the new engine!

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

I'll keep you guys updated on the build

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow you really beat the old motor up with that broken rod. hope the new build goes as planned. sy are one of my favorite trucks. keeps us updated. were you on it hard when it let go?

No, actually I was on it hard messin with a Porsche about 10 mins before it blew. After the Porsche and I parted ways it didn't feel right, then the turbo started spoolin at constant speed and that's when the rod blew. I think it ran dry of oil somehow while I was racin the Porsche and I left a huge cloud of white smoke down the whole freeway due to the holes in the bottom of the oil pan from the rods. The engine never ran right since I bought it and knew it would eventually need a rebuild, but it just came early. When we took the engine apart there were tons of torn metal in the block which made everything unusable!

like i say if your going to brake something dont do it half assed do it it big . you should have added a couple cylinder while u were at it . good luck with the rebuild

I kinda thought about doin a V8, but the fastest Syclones on the sight are still V6's and It seems sacrilegious to me to throw an 8 in a Syclone. I still do love my V8's though and hope to get back in the silverado club soon!

• 1 month later...

I kinda thought about doin a V8, but the fastest Syclones on the sight are still V6's and It seems sacrilegious to me to throw an 8 in a Syclone. I still do love my V8's though and hope to get back in the silverado club soon!

Damn! Blew two whole cyls. off of it!! :blink:

srsly,sorry 'bout your loss. Build it back as a boosted six and kick some V8 ASS!! :pepsicheer:

• 3 months later...

So I now have every piece of the engine build in, and the machinist has to Balance the rotating assembly after he gets the crank back from the grinder, and send the heads out for freshening up and to get the new springs installed. I will have the short block in hand next week and then the heads in two weeks. I'm running a bit behind schedule, but aren't we all :lol:

Anyways heres some more pieces to the puzzle I now have in my possession!

Got my rods from Cunningham which look Absolutely beautiful! And they are the 6" long rods which weight in at exactly 654 grams a piece which is 24 grams lighter than stock. Also there supposed to be good to 1600 HP, so I don't think I will break another rod!

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Silicone Vac kit since mine were getting a bit brittle...

IMG_0967.jpg

New intercooler mounts since mine were missing...

IMG_0966.jpg

New 3 BAR MAP to up the boost a bit.

IMG_0965.jpg

A 3" high flow cat, HAHA!

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

And my first visit to the block in a while. The holes for the 4 bolts are drilled and the block is just waiting for the pistons for honing and balancing!

IMG_0928.jpg

My new Wilwood brake kit that I will install after everything is up & running. I only have front brakes for now, rear will come down the road.

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

Edelbrock High Flow water pump

IMG_1072.jpg

Got some solid motor mounts

IMG_1070.jpg

And my camshaft arrived today!

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

Then I went the route of keeping my old turbo but getting it rebuilt by "Custom Turbo" since I think it will keep up with me for a while. They did a really good job, and in only a day!:tup:

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

I really hope to have it running before April is over, but in the meantime it gives me extra time to get all my parts and frame extra clean!

Edited by Quinnster (see edit history)