Coolant Reservoir Leak

The res is supposed to be sealed air tight, right? The side (closest to the passenger) seems to have a crack, as if the mold detached there. when the engine heats up, you can hear the air pressure release from the crack, and im assuming thats where the leak starts. Anyone else have this problem? I only have 54k miles on my stock ss, makes no sense for this to happen. I glanced at the hoses to see if theyre damaged, but they seem to be free of coolant leakage. Should I just purchase a new res? thanks guys

i dont no how it would have cracked. but you should replace it. i wouldn't go out and buy a new one from GM. but go you your local salvage yard and pick one up. that style coolant tank is very common in all newer trucks and SUVs. id just pick up a used one.

• 4 weeks later...

i dont no how it would have cracked. but you should replace it. i wouldn't go out and buy a new one from GM. but go you your local salvage yard and pick one up. that style coolant tank is very common in all newer trucks and SUVs. id just pick up a used one.

It turns out that the o ring on the lid was he prob. I guess the lid regulates the pressure in the tank, and the o ring lets out pressure through that tube if it gets too hot. the o ring wore out and the pressure that built up in my res tank needed a way out, and (what i think) my tank already was defective and the pressure made things worse. I got a tank from the yard (good call homie, u saved me $40) and bought a new cap and things have been runnin smooth (knock on wood)