4L80E Install Help

Hey guys first off since I havent posted a real post in a little while I want to say I added a few toys to my truck. I added a Long tru cool tranny cooler that does exactly what people have stated they do and keep the tranny about 40-60 degrees cooler especally at highway speeds. I also added a set of LS1 efans, TBSS intake with TB and X-link, and a set of 8.1 44lb injectors. The truck definately runs a lot better and picks up quicker with more torque. Now on to the thing for this section.

I belive my tranny is starting to take a crap on me cuz every now and then it will hesitate on shifting from 1st to 2nd and the truck will take a nose dive then take off. It will also sometimes slip and the rpms go flying for a moment. At first I thougth it was just the TC going bad but realized its just the tranny starting to take a crap on me. I plan on changine fluid and filter to see if it helps any but I dobut it will. Ok so I did a search on here to see what all I would need to do a 4l80 swap and keep my truck AWD and I couldnt really come up with any clear answers to what all I would need to do so. I have a good mechanic that knows how to convert thest trucks as hes done a buddy of mines truck not too long ago. So if someone would chime in and tell me what all parts are needed to do this swap and also could tell me what size Id have to cut the driveshaft to or have another aluminum one made custom which I will probably do instead of cutting the stock one.

I know I need the following-

-4l80E'

-wiring harness for the 80

-cross member from a 2500

-made to fit rear driveshaft

to help out

-HD2 shift kit

-cervos

So please let me know what else Is needed to do this swap.

Thanx in advance guys, Chris

Edited by firehawknwv (see edit history)

i am in the middle of doing this swap myself. im just gathering parts. as of now. i will add a few links that will help you out.

first off you don't need a new harness. you just need to swap a wire around and wire in the second speed sensor.

heres a parts list.

1. 4l80 trans

2.4l80 torque converter and flex plate.

3. shorten rear drive shaft and lengthen front drive shaft.

4. input shaft for your NVG-149 tranfer case

5. cut you stock trans mount and move it back.

theres is a few more little things you will need.

heres a few links.

this link gave me the most info. just remember on thing different is he has a true 4wd not awd so his tcase is just a hair different.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=424904

instead of ripping the trans apart to change out the tail shaft to fit the awd t-case id go with this much easier and stronger. you put this in the your awd t-case to mate you the 4wd 4l80 http://www.SilveradoSS.com/forums/topic/51391-4l80e-nvg-149-32-spline-input-gear-adapter/

get a stock front shaft for an auto 4wd 1/2 ton thats what i did and its the correct length cant remember how much we shortened my driveshaft but also converted to a 14 bolt at the time of the swap. the input shaft for the transfer case you can get from time to kill its a very easy mod and you just send him your stock back

oh and if you get anaftermarket stall you shouldnt need the 80e flexplate my yank bolted right up to the 60e flexplate

Edited by ss wrecker (see edit history)

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm i got everything i needed from here and had my trans guy measure for the drive shaft and a local place change my lengths , went very smoothly . the flip side of this is that i have blown the 4L80 3 times so they are not indestructable . altho this latestest time it was my tc that went . truck is just sitting for now

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm i got everything i needed from here and had my trans guy measure for the drive shaft and a local place change my lengths , went very smoothly . the flip side of this is that i have blown the 4L80 3 times so they are not indestructable . altho this latestest time it was my tc that went . truck is just sitting for now

so the 4l80s that failed on you were they built or stock?

get a stock front shaft for an auto 4wd 1/2 ton thats what i did and its the correct length cant remember how much we shortened my driveshaft but also converted to a 14 bolt at the time of the swap. the input shaft for the transfer case you can get from time to kill its a very easy mod and you just send him your stock back

oh and if you get anaftermarket stall you shouldnt need the 80e flexplate my yank bolted right up to the 60e flexplate

Well since it was mentioned I can use a crossmember from a 1500HD could I use the front driveshaft off one of thsoe trucks as well or does it have to be one from a regular 1500?

Well since it was mentioned I can use a crossmember from a 1500HD could I use the front driveshaft off one of thsoe trucks as well or does it have to be one from a regular 1500?

i dont know on that one but i know that the one i used was the correct length and as many auto 4wd 1/2 tons there are out there you should be able to pick one up quite easily

• 1 month later...

Any updates with this?

I'm starting to source parts for my swap as well. I'm researching how to do the swap without doing a segment swap. Apparently there is a trick to run your 80E on a 60E tune. For the dipstick I've seen a lokar stick on ebay for like $60, my local yards don't like parting with the sticks

I saw something above about a14B swap.. That would be sweet but did they ever factory gear them at 4.10?

I like the idea of sourcing stock driveshafts. Wouldn't a rear from a 2500 or 1500HD work? These can be had from my local yards for $50-$75. Local driveline shop gets around 250-300 for a simple shorten rebalance job.

The crossmember/trans lines don't scare me a bit. It's nice that the converter guys have made an 80E converter with the 60E pad locations so swapping the flexplate isn't required anymore. Doesn't the stock flexplate let go around 500rwhp?

I've got a brand new T76 a big denso intank, just need to get this trans thing figured out before I put the boost to it!

Any updates with this?

I'm starting to source parts for my swap as well. I'm researching how to do the swap without doing a segment swap. Apparently there is a trick to run your 80E on a 60E tune. For the dipstick I've seen a lokar stick on ebay for like $60, my local yards don't like parting with the sticks

I saw something above about a14B swap.. That would be sweet but did they ever factory gear them at 4.10?

I like the idea of sourcing stock driveshafts. Wouldn't a rear from a 2500 or 1500HD work? These can be had from my local yards for $50-$75. Local driveline shop gets around 250-300 for a simple shorten rebalance job.

The crossmember/trans lines don't scare me a bit. It's nice that the converter guys have made an 80E converter with the 60E pad locations so swapping the flexplate isn't required anymore. Doesn't the stock flexplate let go around 500rwhp?

I've got a brand new T76 a big denso intank, just need to get this trans thing figured out before I put the boost to it!

well as far as the stock flex plate goes im pretty sure guys have pushed them well past 500hp. i should have my swap done in a month or so. hoping everything goes smooth.