Will These Trucks Ever Be Collectors?

scooter3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I go to Barrett Jackson every year when it comes to Scottsdale and I see these cars that I drooled over when I was a kid. Chevelles, Mustangs, Cudas and I was wondering if the SS trucks will ever be collectors one day like these cars are now? The reason I ask is I have tossed around the idea of actually selling my truck. I hardly drive it and it just sits in the garage collecting dust. When I do drive it, it does get a lot of attention. I don't need to sell it, but was wondering if it would be worth holding onto for the next 10 or 20 years?

Sounds like your SS is a "collecter" already :P

K howeabout the cosmetic mods, like me, i have the chin spoiler that i had to drill hole in to the bumper to put on, black ducts and bages, and regular W/T wheels, i know i can get replica wheels but the ones i have now are period corrrect right?

med_gallery_13274_466_1238647.jpg

i know that from the moment i added the the first mod it would loose value, according to me watchin barrot-jackson, but i also see so VEEEEEERY modified cars, replicas and clones that do very well?

The spoiler I wouldn't worry about; even the brake ducts and badging IMO would be a minimal issue. But the wheels are gonna hurt the value of the truck. I would have the original set of wheels in storage, just so that you have them available if/when you wanted to sell the truck in the future.

Mr. P. :)

Collectors? Hmmm, everybody has a different opinion of what defines a Collector vehicle. Highly unlikely I'll ever sell mine, but then, I might drive it once every couple of weeks during the show/racing season, less in the off times. Like someone said above, lots of these trucks are being used as dailys, or worse yet by construction or landscape contractors, etc- Those poor things are ruined. I think well maintained, clean trucks will begin to seperate themselves from the average ones, particularly as time progresses. Will they ever be worth more than the original sticker- I'll not say never, but I really doubt it. I didn't buy it for an investment; Rather, I bought it because I wanted it- And I still do. :)

I remember somebody telling me one time about "collector's items" versus "special interest" vehicles. Our SS's will probably be in the second category. They will be worth more than a standard vehicle of the day, but they won't be true collector's items. Just my .02. :)

I agree with Mr P., I feel the only SSS that will be a collector vehicle will be the Intimidator SS. There have been probably close to 30,000 SSS's produced in the 5 year run, from what we can tell from vague production numbers that have been discovered. IMO, with production numbers like that, and the fact that you can pick a nice used one up for a decent price, the average SSS will never be a collector's item. To enthusiasts like us here, these trucks are invaluable and hold more sentimental value(I know some of you feel this way). :chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

[q To enthusiasts like us here, these trucks are invaluable and hold more sentimental value(I know some of you feel this way). :chevy:

i agree with you 100%, i think we can make a valid comparison between a regular (lol) 69 camaro ss and a 69 COPO (factory sleeper)camaro, although the ISS is not a sleeper of sorts, like the COPO camaro, it was built in few numbers compared to the camaro ss, witch (i think) was not built in large numbers but still quit a few were built, but if you look at the auctions the ORIGINAL camaro ss do very well, even if they have a few changes ( different engine, trany etc.) as long as its not to wild, and lets not even mention the copo camaros witch are worth a ton

COPO

1969-chevrolet-camaro-copo-zl-1.jpg

COPO AND SS

sucp_0908_22+1969_camaro_cars+camaros.jpg

Edited by Vidalss (see edit history)

The spoiler I wouldn't worry about; even the brake ducts and badging IMO would be a minimal issue. But the wheels are gonna hurt the value of the truck. I would have the original set of wheels in storage, just so that you have them available if/when you wanted to sell the truck in the future.

i appreciate your input but as of now i dont plan to sell my truck, i love it too much, its just that ive always

imagined my truck, up their, in the top and center of it all, being aww and ohh like every other car on the block

dodge-challenger-barret-jackson-wide.jpg

i appreciate your input but as of now i dont plan to sell my truck, i love it too much, its just that ive always

imagined my truck, up their, in the top and center of it all, being aww and ohh like every other car on the block

Oh I know - I'm not letting my SSS go either. Remember that Barrett-Jackson is not the normal auction; they cherry-pick only the vehicles they believe are 'milestone cars' or vehicles with significant automotive historical value - real potential museum pieces (along with apparently every corvette in the southwest lol). IMO I don't think the SSS trucks have much historic significance, they're just trucks - very nice trucks, but nothing on them I would call 'innovative', nothing that would make them museum pieces. Hank is right, we have 'special interest' vehicles and you will see them trading in muscle car auctions, but I wouldn't count on any SSS's appearing on the Barrett-Jackson stage anytime in the next 20-years and even then only the lowest-mileage survivors and I doubt they will fetch much more than their original sticker price (adjusted for inflation).

The Gen-I Lightnings will be on Barrett-Jackson, because they are a game-changer that started the muscle truck wars. The early-90s SS trucks don't do that well because frankly they weren't all that innovative!

The nice thing about having a "special interest" vehicle is that we are free to make each one even more 'special' :dbanana:

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I'm agree I think the only SS that stands a chance of being worth any $ is the Intimdators that are completely original- thats the reason i bought one. I also have the orignal 454ss- bought it because i thought it would be worth money. I believe the regular SS silverados will follow the 454ss as far as values go- worth more than the other chevy trucks of those years, but not anywhere near "collector money" Hell I have my 454ss up for sale- because i think my pair of imtinidators will be worth my than that, and since the garage is full something needs to go.

I'd say if you just have a regular ss, drive it, mod it, enjoy it, and enjoy the fact its going to hold more resale value than other chevy trucks of these years. IF you have an intimdator ss, maybe you wanna park it in the garage like me. lol

The Gen-I Lightnings will be on Barrett-Jackson, because they are a game-changer that started the muscle truck wars. The early-90s SS trucks don't do that well because frankly they weren't all that innovative!

They were a game changer alright- Proof that a SVT prepped 351 Ford couldn't keep up with a little AWD Sonoma with a garrett on it. :pepsicheer:

The nice thing about having a "special interest" vehicle is that we are free to make each one even more 'special' :dbanana:

the lightnng is recognized as being perhaps the 'first' sport truck but dodge came out with the original sport truck

1970.jpg

pickup.jpg

they really were not big performers like their siblings, the cuda and charger, but it was uniqhe for its day. i think