Pros And Cons Of Adding A Tbtc For Dd

Hey guy. I am starting to think about adding a shift kit (zippy, or Trans-Go), servos and possibly a TBTC to my truck. I use the truck as a DD and do very little towing with it (Just jet skis, and a small enclosed trailer for quads). I am wondering what the pros and cons are for adding a stall to a daily driver. Also if no one thinks a TBTC is a bad add, I'd like to know what the proper p/n is for the TBTC. If I add the TBTC do I have to have the truck tuned for it right away, and a bigger fluid cooler? Thanks for the help.

I have a TCS 3000 stall in my truck and i absolutely LOVE it. The truck is also my DD. I think youd be very happy with a tbtc, in fact there is a guy on pt.net selling one right now fro 120 shipped. add a shift kit and servos and youre pretty set. depending on weather conditions where you live i think you can get away with the stock tranny cooler, at least through the winter months. a good tranny cooler is always a good upgrade, aftermarket stall or not. good luck man!

i would give cricle d a shout and think about ordering there 278mm stall, its about a 3000 and its awesome. i dd my truck everyday and if you drive normal you cant even tell its in there. but when you want to stomp on it or stall it up its freakin awesome. i think you would be more happy with a little bigger stall like a 3000 instead of the tbtc

Yes you will need to re-tune for any transmission mods you do, including a stall. You should also look into Precision Industries(PI), they make quality TC's also. In terms of a cooler, go with a Long Industries "TruCool Max" 40k rated cooler. If you are concerned about driveability as a daily driver with a TC, don't be.......many of the TCs available drive like stock until your foot is in the throttle. Mine used to be a daily driver with a 3000 stall PI, man did it make driving fun! :peelout:

I have had good luck with my tbtc. I had the trans rebuilt and add it on then I didn't get a tune for it for about a year no probems.

My temps are in the good range so I didn't need to add a cooler.

BUT if I was to do it again I would get a cricle D.

Circle D converters are great for the money, if you want to spend a little more a PI converter would also work very well. Like i said i have a 3000 stall in mine as a dd and i have no complaints whatsoever. Look into TCS as well, i love mine. A tune is definitely necessary as with most mods and a 40k tru cool max tranny cooler is always a good upgrade over stock. my tranny temps in 100+ degree weather never got above stock operating temps from before the converter.

I ran a TB converter for a very short time when I first got my truck and was one of the first mods I did to it. I bought my truck with the intenstions of pulling my Camaro around.......but that obviously didnt happen lol For the money, it is a very good bang for the buck. I believe mine flashed to 2800 damn near.

But, then again it is still a STOCK converter. Guys with maggies have used them before and have been successful. On the other end iv heard some grenading them also. At the end of the day, they are still a stock converter and arent ment to take excessive torque load.

As mentioned above, TCS, Circle D, and Precision Industries are all good converters. If you are looking to make decent power TB converter isnt what you want. If you are going to keep it simple bolt ons, I would say go for it.

Always remember, you get what you pay for!

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

I ran a TB converter for a very short time when I first got my truck and was one of the first mods I did to it. I bought my truck with the intenstions of pulling my Camaro around.......but that obviously didnt happen lol For the money, it is a very good bang for the buck. I believe mine flashed to 2800 damn near.

But, then again it is still a STOCK converter. Guys with maggies have used them before and have been successful. On the other end iv heard some grenading them also. At the end of the day, they are still a stock converter and arent ment to take excessive torque load.

As mentioned above, TCS, Circle D, and Precision Industries are all good converters. If you are looking to make decent power TB converter isnt what you want. If you are going to keep it simple bolt ons, I would say go for it.

Always remember, you get what you pay for!

I am for sure not going forced induction on my truck. I am going with just some bolt ons with the most being a cam. I don't have a ton of money to throw into my projects right now since I am in school still. So those are my intentions. I am for sure going with a tune also but am trying to wait till I get the most work done on the truck first before I send out for a tune. Thanks for all the input guys.

Ive put my tbtc to the test and never had a problem so far! I tow my trailer all over the country with my tbtc and i would say my trailer probably weighs a little over 8000lbs.

Which TBTC are you guys using. Is it the I6 or BU-51?

Also, why is the corvette servo only 20 bucks, but the 4th servo is about 80 bucks?

Edited by silverss05 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Which TBTC are you guys using. Is it the I6 or BU-51?

I've got the BU-51 as stated in my sig... lots of other mods and it's holding up well, I pound on her pretty hard occasionally and love the launch, and stabbing the throttle at any time, gear or speed.

I'm not thread jacking, but I really wish my brakes could hold the truck still over 2K RPM.

Good luck with whatever you go with...

• 2 weeks later...