Fog Light Questions

So now that Im back living in Snow/Rain Country i was thinking about getting some fog lights, Im going to put HIDs in them.

My question is what is everyone else doing for fog lights?

Do you get OEM style ones for a stock Silverado or aftermarket ones?

Where is the best place to put them?

How difficult is it to wire them in?

Lets say i go with OEM ones will ones like these work?

My link

Any help would be great

So now that Im back living in Snow/Rain Country i was thinking about getting some fog lights, Im going to put HIDs in them.

My question is what is everyone else doing for fog lights?

Do you get OEM style ones for a stock Silverado or aftermarket ones?

Where is the best place to put them?

How difficult is it to wire them in?

Lets say i go with OEM ones will ones like these work?

My link

Any help would be great

Well to start i have the 6000k 55 watt hids slim ballas ddmtuning, the best. Yes u can go oem fog lamps or aftermarket if u dont want 2 pay like 80 buck a side,

If you want the factory look, this is what I did.

Get the fog lamp kit from GM, it will include everything to install. Comes with the wiring, switch, lamps, etc. It mounts in the factory location to the left of the dash, and you'll need a tech 2 to activate the power for the lamps. A dealer can do it, takes 2 minutes. Then get a 35w HID kit from DDM Tuning and viola. You have this.

Sorry for the crappy cell pic, but these lights are bright as shit.

IMG_1312.jpg

Edited by AK4.8SS (see edit history)

If you want the factory look, this is what I did.

Get the fog lamp kit from GM, it will include everything to install. Comes with the wiring, switch, lamps, etc. It mounts in the factory location to the left of the dash, and you'll need a tech 2 to activate the power for the lamps. A dealer can do it, takes 2 minutes. Then get a 35w HID kit from DDM Tuning and viola. You have this.

Sorry for the crappy cell pic, but these lights are bright as shit.

IMG_1312.jpg

How much did a kit from GM cost?

Those are nice btw, are those like 3000k or what?

I was thinking about going with the 3000k just because its so bright and different, but i might just go with 10,000k and match my headlights

So if i got a kit like this: Fog Lights

They look like they are basicly plug and play, run thw switch into the cab and a relay in the fuse box

Am i right or way wrong?

That kit comes as a stand alone foglight kit. it does not integrate into the stock factory wiring harness. Yes you can use those lights and bulbs, connect them to the stock harness, (look under the front bumper, you will see two unused plugs that are taped to the frame of the truck). If you want to use the stock harness all you have to do is get a factory foglamp switch from the dealer to use your lights as if they where installed by the dealer, 100% plug and play. It also maintains factory operation.

That kit comes as a stand alone foglight kit. it does not integrate into the stock factory wiring harness. Yes you can use those lights and bulbs, connect them to the stock harness, (look under the front bumper, you will see two unused plugs that are taped to the frame of the truck). If you want to use the stock harness all you have to do is get a factory foglamp switch from the dealer to use your lights as if they where installed by the dealer, 100% plug and play. It also maintains factory operation.

Not all trucks have them. But you never know

Thanks everyone for there help. So it looks like i have 2 options

1. Buy a fog light kit that intigrates to the factory wiring. Plug it inot the facotry wiring, relay into the fuse box and a switch in the cab, and im good to go.

The fog lights should operate like factory, so the fog lights shut off when the high beams come on

or,

2. Buy a stand alone kit wire it up, and be able to turn my fogs on whenever I want including when the High beams are on

:unsure: That is a tuff descision. It would be cool to be able to have have the fog lights on whenever I want them. When i turn my highs on my lows stay on, so how does that work with the fog lights do they know when to shut off?