SS Heritage

shopman1

I posted this in another area however with all the talk of HP, I thought that I would put it up as a new topic:

As I read all the entries that everyone has put in the site, one thing rings out, and that is horse power and beating out Ford or Dodge etc. A vehicle is a personal thing and everyone has different requirements and everyone wants something different.

I feel that one thing has been overlooked, that is that Chevy SS stands for style as much a muscle. I will give a few examples: 1965 – Chevelle SS the regular production model engine was the 327 with 300 BHP, the L-79 sporting 350 horses, 72,500 sold. 1966 Chevelle SS – 396 getting up there, however the standard engine delivered only 325 bhp. That same year the Chevy II Nova SS had a 327 350 bhp engine. 1967 – Camaro SS had a 350 which had 295 bhp, later in the year a 396 with 375 bhp was made avalable. 1968 the Chevelle SS was 396 with 350 bhp, a special order 375 was available as well. The Nova SS was up to 375 bhp as well. 1996 – Nova SS had a 396 with 375 bhp. 1970 – Chevelle SS had a 454 with either the LS-5 360 bhp or the LS-6 460 bhp. Most were 350 bhp. 1971 – Nova SS 350 with horsepower lowered to 270 (Wow and SS???) 1972 – Camaro SS base 350 listed 200 NET hp , the 396 had 240 net bhp. The Chevell SS had a 307 130 hp (Worse) 1974 – Chevelle SS had a weak 454 and a 350 cu in engines. My point is that over the years the SS has represented STYLE not always HP! In conclusion, 345 hp is not bad for a pickup huh!

I posted this in another area however with all the talk of HP, I thought that I would put it up as a new topic:

As I read all the entries that everyone has put in the site, one thing rings out, and that is horse power and beating out Ford or Dodge etc. A vehicle is a personal thing and everyone has different requirements and everyone wants something different.

I feel that one thing has been overlooked, that is that Chevy SS stands for style as much a muscle. I will give a few examples: 1965 – Chevelle SS the regular production model engine was the 327 with 300 BHP, the L-79 sporting 350 horses, 72,500 sold. 1966 Chevelle SS – 396 getting up there, however the standard engine delivered only 325 bhp. That same year the Chevy II Nova SS had a 327 350 bhp engine. 1967 – Camaro SS had a 350 which had 295 bhp, later in the year a 396 with 375 bhp was made avalable. 1968 the Chevelle SS was 396 with 350 bhp, a special order 375 was available as well. The Nova SS was up to 375 bhp as well. 1996 – Nova SS had a 396 with 375 bhp. 1970 – Chevelle SS had a 454 with either the LS-5 360 bhp or the LS-6 460 bhp. Most were 350 bhp. 1971 – Nova SS 350 with horsepower lowered to 270 (Wow and SS???) 1972 – Camaro SS base 350 listed 200 NET hp , the 396 had 240 net bhp. The Chevell SS had a 307 130 hp (Worse) 1974 – Chevelle SS had a weak 454 and a 350 cu in engines. My point is that over the years the SS has represented STYLE not always HP! In conclusion, 345 hp is not bad for a pickup huh!

I guess your the perfect buyer if your happy with 345hp!! :eek: I don't see the parallel though, those older SS's were performance leaders not followers. Don't get me wrong its a nice truck just don't think it should have SS badging.

I guess your the perfect buyer if your happy with 345hp!! :eek: I don't see the parallel though, those older SS's were performance leaders not followers. Don't get me wrong its a nice truck just don't think it should have SS badging.

:P MNC5 - You being a Corvette (C5) owner should know that performance went out the window in the late 70s - I had a 82 Collector Addition Vette and it only had 195 HP, one could say that should not even be a Vette however I sold it 4 years ago for $24,000. The person that purchased it liked the style and the heritage not the HP. Don't get me wrong - If HP is your thing, that's cool and I can appriciate that! The point was that SS in not just HP it's style as well. You are correct, I am very happy with the 345 HP - how fast can one go in New Jersey without bumping into another vehicle, not far. I guess the bottom line is that if GM says it's an SS then it's an SS! Later

i guess that's about the best way i've seen it put. just as the impala ss in the 90's. hardly a peformance car but did everything pretty well. silverado sport would have been good, but i'm not seeing what's super about it. i'd like to think the new truck wouldn't be competing with technology from the 60's base model ss's. i'm not saying it's not a nice truck, but not exactly special or super. 345hp isn't bad, in 4000lbs and 2wd.

Thanks Shopman1. I ordered my SS as much for style as for HP. I turned down a great offer on a Harley Ford, but wanted the AWD (and I'd get razzed really badly by my friends for desersion).

Of course we want something that runs good and My Denali has shown enough HP to get me around. What I do like is the ride and control and hope for the same with the SS.

If I had the badest of the bad, I still would not be beating it to death on the strip. Just not what I am looking for. So please continue to defend the SS as we have wanted this wagon for a long long time. It may not be perfect, but it comes close enough for me to be willing to wait 5 months (so far).

Hope you are enjoying yours!

Galen

Thanks Shopman1. I ordered my SS as much for style as for HP. I turned down a great offer on a Harley Ford, but wanted the AWD (and I'd get razzed really badly by my friends for desersion).

Of course we want something that runs good and My Denali has shown enough HP to get me around. What I do like is the ride and control and hope for the same with the SS.

If I had the badest of the bad, I still would not be beating it to death on the strip. Just not what I am looking for. So please continue to defend the SS as we have wanted this wagon for a long long time. It may not be perfect, but it comes close enough for me to be willing to wait 5 months (so far).

Hope you are enjoying yours!

Galen

Hey gshields - Thanks for being positive. I don't know about all others but I have no desire or inclination to go on a Ford sight, so what does that say for all the Ford guys that are raiding the SS site? What it comes down to is, if these guys in a Lightning have a chance meeting and line up to a light with an SS and feel they need to prove something, have at it. This will be rare I'm sure on the street. For the rest of us, I can admire all the other pickups, Harley, Lightning, Dodge rather like looking at other gals - you still come home to the one you love. I am having fun with the SS and this is the first pickup I have ever owned, I've been driving Corvettes, BMW's and Honda Prelude type of vehicles in the past. This is fun! I think we all need to enjoy what we have what ever it is! :thumbs:

Archived