Vortec Max Or Sss

firervfd37

So since we have been getting more and more snow and now that we have a little one on the way I was looking locally and the dealership has Two 2004 Silverado SS AWD. One has 43k on it and the other has 39k on it. I am thinking about getting rid of the 2WD Vortec Max for the AWD SSS. Anyone know of any downsides to taking a step back from a 2006 to a 2004?

It really depends on your goals for the truck as to your fondness of your choice on the SSS. You may want to look for a 4wd Vortec Max also. The SSS's are great, but the constant AWD does make for a loss in milage compared to the 4wd Vortec Max as well as the mentioned problems from the front diff issue which is caused by a front diff being used all the time when it was only designed as a part time system. The front diff bearings weren't large enough nor was the fluid capacity large enough. When the SSS was released it was the only way to get the LQ9 in a half ton truck. Now you get the choice of a normal truck with the same LQ9, larger rear differential, electric fans, normal transfercase, etc. You can get the Vortec Max with pretty much the same stuff other than the styling cue's. I still love the SSS, but unless you are buying the SSS for the styling it may not be worth your time over a Vortec Max with the LT trim package and other add on's.

The main difference in the 2006 to 2004 change though is going to be a disc/drum system that works very well over the 04's system that works very well, but has rotor rusting issue's in the rear. The 2006 as mentioned has e-fans, the 2004 does not. The 2006 Vortec Max has a 14 bolt 9.5" rear diff which is an incredible piece with a very low failure rate. The 4L70E in the 06' is a very good starting piece other than the forward sprag which had some failures in the 06's and 07's. The 03's and 04's had cluster failures which if it were fixed in the recall, you are fine. If it wasn't, plan on fixing that. I really wish GM has taken the 06' and 07' Vortec Max 4x4 and offered it in an SSS version as they did the 4x2 version. I feel they would have had a real winner on their hands with the option of still putting power to all 4 wheels when needed and being able to drive around in just 2wd for the 80-90% of driving that the average person does.

Thanks for all the info Zippy. Main reason why I am not looking at a newer Vortec Max is that I just bought a 2009 Cobalt SS T/C last year for my wife, and I cant afford two higher car payments since we are expecting our first child in July. The SSS has half the mileage of my 06' and they are asking 19k for it. I am hoping for a decent trade in value for my truck and then the payment would be extremely cheap. Next question is I would like to see if my Corsa Sport would fit on the 04 SSS?