Thinking About Buying A Tahoe

diggerdan11

So Im thinking about trading in my Pontiac G6 for a Tahoe or Suburban. So my Girlfriend can have a better vehicle in the snow and Have a SUV for our dog and something so I dont put miles on my SS (I dont like driving the G6 that much),

I have been looking at these Tahoe's. The White 04 and the Silver 03 Z71. Both are in good shape and look like they were barely driven and very well taken care of, but they both have decently high miles especially the 03 at 138k miles. Tahoe

My biggest question is what are my biggest concerns with buying a Tahoe with 138k miles? Im planning on keeping it for a while Im just concerned with having issues like transmission problems. Now its only 19k miles a year which is not that many miles per year.

My biggest fear is buying it and less than a year latter having to replace the transmission or something major

What Do You Guys Think?

The Silver 03 Z71 is closer to the price i would like to pay, but the White 04 is still something I can afford. I also kinda like the 01 Suburban its a really good price but im just not sure if my girlfriend would want a suburban since they are just that much bigger.

Don't get your heart set on one of those, keep your options open and shop around a little more. I spent 3-4 months searching, and finally picked up a clean '03 Tahoe LS(dealer serviced) around 15 months ago with 72k on the clock, and got it for $9k before tax and tags. The Chevy dealer took care of some repairs before delivery too, like the blower resistor, battery, tires, 4WD switch, and a dent on the rear quarter panel. Lower mileage trucks are out there, you just have to find them....

So far so good with mine....other then some basic maintenance like light bulbs, wipers, and oil changes, the only other repairs I have had to make is rear brakes, a horn, and an AC compressor. The guage cluster acts up every once in a while, but until it dies I will not worry about it. :fingersx: She has 86k on her now, and the amount of times I have hauled stuff(including people), taken road trips, responded to emergencies, and activated the 4WD due to inclement weather, she has already paid for herself. I plan on keeping her for a very long time. :chevy:

HPIM1285.JPG

HPIM1288.JPG

HPIM1290.JPG

Don't get your heart set on one of those, keep your options open and shop around a little more. I spent 3-4 months searching, and finally picked up a clean '03 Tahoe LS(dealer serviced) around 15 months ago with 72k on the clock, and got it for $9k before tax and tags. The Chevy dealer took care of some repairs before delivery too, like the blower resistor, battery, tires, 4WD switch, and a dent on the rear quarter panel. Lower mileage trucks are out there, you just have to find them....

So far so good with mine....other then some basic maintenance like light bulbs, wipers, and oil changes, the only other repairs I have had to make is rear brakes, a horn, and an AC compressor. The guage cluster acts up every once in a while, but until it dies I will not worry about it. :fingersx: She has 86k on her now, and the amount of times I have hauled stuff(including people), taken road trips, responded to emergencies, and activated the 4WD due to inclement weather, she has already paid for herself. I plan on keeping her for a very long time. :chevy:

post-9644-047687000 1293927701_thumb.jpg

post-9644-019934300 1293927729_thumb.jpg

post-9644-039415100 1293927789_thumb.jpg

Wow an 03 with 72K for only $9k. Thats Crazy, you would not be able to find a Tahoe with that low of miles for less than $13K or 14k around here, I have been looking for a while now. There is an 03 for sale about an hour away with 78k and they want $15k for It.

I could probably get the 03 Z28 that I want for about $9K, plus that dealership would definitely give me enough for the G6

Wow an 03 with 72K for only $9k. Thats Crazy, you would not be able to find a Tahoe with that low of miles for less than $13K or 14k around here, I have been looking for a while now. There is an 03 for sale about an hour away with 78k and they want $15k for It.

I could probably get the 03 Z28 that I want for about $9K, plus that dealership would definitely give me enough for the G6

They were asking $11,500 for mine, book was $13k.....long story short, if they want to make a sale and you play the bargaining game well, they will usually wheel 'n deal on the price to get you in the driver's seat.....

The '03 you linked, even though it has the highest mileage, it is apparently the only one of that bunch that is 1 owner certified. Whatever you do, make sure you research the history on each. What prices are they asking? I didn't see any on their website.....

They were asking $11,500 for mine, book was $13k.....long story short, if they want to make a sale and you play the bargaining game well, they will usually wheel 'n deal on the price to get you in the driver's seat.....

The '03 you linked, even though it has the highest mileage, it is apparently the only one of that bunch that is 1 owner certified. Whatever you do, make sure you research the history on each. What prices are they asking? I didn't see any on their website.....

There asking 13 for the silver one but the blue book is around 10k suggested retail. So I should be able the get them down to 9k easily or maybe less.

I bought my truck from these guys. They wanted 35 and I paid 27. They wanted 19 for the G6 and we paid 13 which was trade in value. So I should be able to get a good deal.

i bought a 2003 yukon SLT every option in august with 105k. it now has 112 and its been great so far. only issues i had were a leaky water pump gasket and the blend actuator for the auto climate. been in and out of 4wd numerous times in the weather and responds to emergencies. i have to say its very comfortable and i love driving it makes me feel at home when im not in the SS

edit: like dan said if they want to sell it they will do alot on the price. sticker on mine was 13,995 and i got them down to 9000

P1000559.jpg

P1000560.jpg

P1000562.jpg

Edited by 8hnpSS (see edit history)

My wifes 05' Tahoe LT is by far the best driving, smoothest riding vehicle I've had. We've had it for about 8 months with zero issues. other than putting new tires on it since I'm kinda of particular about that area. It's just over 70k right now. I will say getting this one with all the bells and whistles was worth every penny. my daughter loves the factory rear dvd player and i don't think my wife will ever be able to drive anything not fully loaded again!!!

i just bought my wife a 2005 tahoe with sunroof , 4wd , 3rd row seating, and it had jg racing seats in the front and was a 5.3 with 50k on it for 16,000 . we looked for months and everything up here that was 4wd was really expensive. just take your time ans shop around something will come up. the only thing i would be worried about is the trans with the high miles .

i say take your time and find what you want. i see tons of people jump on the first one they come across then they find out its really not what they wanted. Also when looking at a vehicle with how would it resale. high miles seem to kill a resale. i know when im out looking for a vehicle miles are big for me. good luck. vehicle shopping can be fun but also very stressful.

i say take your time and find what you want. i see tons of people jump on the first one they come across then they find out its really not what they wanted. Also when looking at a vehicle with how would it resale. high miles seem to kill a resale. i know when im out looking for a vehicle miles are big for me. good luck. vehicle shopping can be fun but also very stressful.

Yeah I have actually been looking for about 9 months now. I have found a few ones i liked but none of the dealerships would work with me and give me the price I want or enough for my Pontiac. Just a month ago this dealership did not have a single Tahoe or Suburban and now there are 5.

This Dealership will work with me, and give me the right amount for my Pontiac and give me A good deal on the Tahoe.

If I can get it for a good enough deal, I will finance it for 3 years which would actually reduce my current Car payments by a year and a Half( I might be able to afford to pay if off even earlier). My Truck will be paid off in 2 years. Once The Tahoe and SS are paid off I will probably buy Another Vehicle for my Girlfriend and Make the Tahoe my DD and park the SS . So Im not too concerned with the resale value.

As far as the transmission goes, unless the vehicle was driven really hard. It should last a few more years, and buy then I should be able to replace the Tranny if need be

I see your in Oregon, but there is one at local dealer here in VT, '05 LT, White with 60k miles. Leather, 3rd row seat, DVD system. Thing is mint, I test drove it and was able to get him down to $12,900 without consulting his "boss." If I really didnt want to buy a CTS-V I would for sure pick it up.