Noise Diagnose Please

Hey guys, I have done some searching and I have a feeling I might be getting some valve train noise but I have no idea. I took this video at night so sorry you cant see anything, if needed I could take a longer one during the day tomorrow with some sunlight. This sound is there constantly lately, for maybe 2 weeks now? It is not only upon a cold start, it is there when the engine is at normal running temp. I don't know if the sound increases with acceleration, I forgot to check for that.

So if anyone can diagnose the sound and possibly provide some kind of a fix for it, it would be greatly appreciated pepsicheer.gif

Truck is stock besides K&N CAI.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3sm5AWGRVx4

Edited by ThatTallCanadian (see edit history)

Yeah I hear it; a fast rhythmic light chirping + whirring sound. Either (1) bad bearing in the accessory drive, or (2) broken valvespring.

Step 1 - remove the belts and see if the noise goes away; if so then it's the water pump bearing, alternator bearing, or idler bearing etc.

Step 2 - get a mechanic's stethescope and listen to the top of each intake manifold runner, and each exhaust manifold runner - if there is a broken valvetrain component you will easily pinpoint exactly which valve it is.

Don't panic until you identify the source of the noise first!

Mr. P. :)

Can you get us another vid with you revving the motor? If you pull the belts and can't pinpoint the noise to a bearing and lack a stethoscope, pull the valve covers which is really easy on these trucks and check to see if you see anything wrong with the valvetrain. You can run the motor with the valve covers off and watch it run to try and pinpoint the cause too if you can't do it just by a visual inspection.

I will get another vid in a few minutes here then, I bought the stethoscope just now. To check the intake manifold runners I need to get the engine cover off right?

I am fairly nervous about pulling the belt off then running it, but I'll probably give that a go today. I'm by no means a newbie to working on motors, but I've never really done anything this technical.

If it is a valve spring is that an DIY for an ameteur? Or probably more of a dealership job? Same question goes for the bearing issue.

PS, that nurse can work on my truck any day popcorn.gif

Edited by ThatTallCanadian (see edit history)

...To check the intake manifold runners I need to get the engine cover off right?

Yes the 3-piece sight covers are in your way.

I am fairly nervous about pulling the belt off then running it, but I'll probably give that a go today.

You can run an engine for a minute or two and it won't overheat; you can run it long enough to make sure the sound is still present, or it's gone and then shut the motor off LONG before you overheat it. Since you have the stethescope, you don't have to do that - I'll explain...

If it is a valve spring is that an DIY for an ameteur? Or probably more of a dealership job? Same question goes for the bearing issue.

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = never used a tool before, 5 = Mr. Goodwrench) I give the job a 2.5 - it's not that bad if you have someone show you the ropes or can follow instructions. If you can use a ratchet, screwdriver, and hammer then you can do either of these jobs.

USING THE STETHESCOPE:

Accessories - at the center of each pulley is an attachment bolt; with the engine running, gently place the tip of the metal probe on the center bolt and you will hear the vibrations from that pulley in the stethescope. The neat thing is that the other engine noises will be blocked, so you can hear that bearing/pulley alone by itself and by comparing to other running pulleys you will start to figure out how to tell if you have a 'clicking' bearing or if it is running smoothly. :thumbs:

For the water pump and alternator - since you cannot put the probe on the 'center bolt' (because there isn't one!) place the tip of the probe on the snout of the pump, or front case of the alternator, as close as practical to the pulley/shaft, and the vibrations from the bearing will still be clearly heard. :thumbs:

Valvesprings - you will have to remove the 3-piece engine cover first (5/16" socket). Locate the eight black intake runners, and follow them from the center of the manifold to the engine head (where the injectors are installed into the top of the manifold) - with the engine running, put the metal probe onto the top of each of the eight intake runners. Valvesprings make noise, like a Slinky makes noise when it crawls down a stair; this noise is amplified in the plastic walls of the intake runner, and by putting the metal probe onto the intake you will (in-turn) hear the operation of the valvespring (COOL I KNOW!) You do not have to rev the motor, just listen at idle - the best comparison I can make is the Slinky one, a rhythmic whoosing (?) type of sound as it is cycled through it's motions. Listen to all eight intake runners and compare, you will quickly learn what is 'normal' versus 'suspect' - if there is a broken valvespring it will be clacking/clicking/etc and it will sound *way* different than the other springs. Repeat the listening process for the exhaust valvesprings, this time probing the top of the exhaust manifold where it attaches to the engine head.

On a fuel injected engine (such as ours) when you are listening to the intake ports, you will hear TWO items, the springs and faintly the injector itself opening and closing very quickly. This is not a big issue (hearing two overlapping sounds) because you are looking for the one port which sounds different than the other seven - the standout/sick port will be obvious.

From the sound in your first posting, using the stethescope you will pinpoint exactly where the issue is NO-PROB cause it's making a hell of a racket already. If the issue is a accessory bearing you will know exactly which one, in fact in this exercise you might discover you have an idler bearing going south on you but it's just not loud enough yet to call attention to itself etc.

Tell me what you hear first, then we'll talk fix-it strategy.

PS, that nurse can work on my truck any day

:laugh: I'll make sure she can speak Canadian for you. :P:jester: :jester: :jester:

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Huh can't hear it nearly as prominently in those last 2 vids. I can sure hear the fan though!! LOL

It might also be a lazy lifter.

Yeah it definitely is quieter today, but its also a lot warmer too. Getting a ton of snow so I wont be working on her today. May just go the slacker route and maybe bring it to the dealer.

Thanks Dr P cheers.gif