Noise Diagnose Please

:lol: Naaahhh to be a doctor I'd first have to employ a hot nurse! :takealook:

co1841__35046_zoom.jpg

Mr. P. :)

OMFG! I need to clean my keyboard LOL. :crazy::drool::wub::pimp::thumbs:

Based on your original video and these two, even though it is somewhat hard to hear(damn fan), it sounds to me like something in the accessory drive. I have a similar noise with my SS and have yet to pinpoint it. You also have to keep in mind that some valvetrain noise is common with LS motors.....

yeah the valvetrain noise I've read is to be slightly expected, just bugs me lol. I still would like to closer diagnose it because it was fairly loud originally.

Just read Mr. P.'s longer detailed post there, didn't notice it till now somehow. I'll definitely be up tomorrow taking a look/listen with the stethoscope. I'm actually rather excited to do this lol. I super appreciate the help guys =D

Forgive me guys for hi-jacking here, but since we're on the subject of engine noise, I've developed a recent noise only on start up. It sounds as if there's a duck being sqeezed right as the engine starts then immediately goes away. The alternator is brand new, so I dont think it's that. I thought of the idler pulley next as I had the same problem(different sound)on my GTP. Its been about 17 degrees here in Utah and I wonder if that has help bring on the sound. Sorry again for sneaking in my issue.

Forgive me guys for hi-jacking here, but since we're on the subject of engine noise, I've developed a recent noise only on start up. It sounds as if there's a duck being sqeezed right as the engine starts then immediately goes away. The alternator is brand new, so I dont think it's that. I thought of the idler pulley next as I had the same problem(different sound)on my GTP. Its been about 17 degrees here in Utah and I wonder if that has help bring on the sound. Sorry again for sneaking in my issue.

I think I know the exact sound your describing mine does it too when its been parked overnight in cold temps. Sort of like a quick squeak right after the truck starts, then goes away instantly. I believe its the alternator slipping on the belt for a sec right as the truck starts because of the draw on the battery from the starter.... At least that's my theory....

mini update: Just went for a quick drive to Canadian tire, the whirring was louder again tonight. I tried slowly revving it to see what rpm the whirring stops. It increases (sounds like it gets faster and slightly louder) with RPM's up until maybe 1700 range, then it goes away completely it seems. I will post more updates tomorrow.

Also does it matter if the truck is on a level surface or not when I go to check w/ the stethoscope? Its currently on an angled driveway.

Ok I went hunting and I didn't really find anything... I think its just noisy lifters (for the ticking sound) as each exhaust manifold and intake manifold runner all sounded rather similar. For the whirring sound I couldn't really find anything that was amplifying the sound through the stethescope. The alternator sounded ok?

the one accessory that sounded kind of iffy, it sounded like metallic grinding/scraping (forgive the analogy, but it sounded like the old fashioned sword sharpening roating stone things, in a way.) I have no idea which accessory it is so i made you a picture :)

I really am not sure what I'm looking for when I listening to the things, so that could be a problem too.

engine.jpg

You circled the spring-loaded belt tensioner pulley, and they wear out after about 60-70K miles; you replace them at the same time you replace the belt.

Given that all the springs sounded the same, plus the evidence that the noise goes away with engine oil up to temp and increased RPM, I would have to agree it's a lifter that's gone slack on you. It won't hurt the motor in the near term, but will cost efficiency/mileage. It is possible that the internals of the lifter are gummed-up with crap and treating the engine oil with Seafoam might clear up the problem but that's a total WAG on my part. I would think if the valvetrain was still 'clacking' you would be able to pinpoint which valve [lifter] it was with the stethescope, or at least narrow down to which side of the engine it was on :confused:

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Yeah I dunno I'm really unsure of it all. It seemed as if cylinder 1 was a bit noiser then the others, but only marginally. I hear the ticking louder on the other side of the engine though. I may just give in at this point and bring it to the dealer for a diagnose if it gets worse. Let them narrow the problem down then decide if I'll fix it myself or have them do it.

Thank you so much for your help though! Coming to Edmonton any time soon? You could have a listen for yourself :P

I've found that a good machine shop will happily give it a quick listen for free, get 2 or three qualified opinions.

And you're crazy if you think I'm leaving my hot nurse to go freeze my nutz off at the freaking north pole in JANUARY! :jester:

Mr. P. :)

Did you run it with the belt off yet? I would still try that and then pull the valve covers to see if anything is loose or you see something else wrong upon visual inspection. Then, if worse comes to worse, take it to the stealership if you can't find anything wrong.

The whole beltless thing just kind of makes me nervous lol I don't really feel comfortable doing that to be honest. It's not that I doubt that it works, I just doubt my skill and horrid luck lol.

Hey now.. I don't live THAT far north. Plus it's +1 outside today! pretty fricken warm! hahaha

run it with the belts off man, it wont hurt it all. ya man so nice right now in sask. once you get that figured out we need to get some type of meet up here in the spring, prob in alberta since theres more of you there.

Take the main drive belt off and out and start the truck. It will be fine to run a minute or two without it. And it hardly takes any skill to remove it and put it back on. It's worth a shot than the dealer raping you on finding the problem. If it is just the tensioner, it's a few bucks. If you go to the dealer, you could wind up spending hundreds.