Hid Help?

I just went to the Houston Auto show this morning, and there was a vendor there selling HID kits. I bought a 6000k low beam and a 6000k high beam kit. While I was still at the show, the salesman plugged up all 4 ballasts, 1 to each of the 4 bulbs, and it all worked. I got home, installed the kit, and no driver's low beam. Pulled the battery back out, checked all wiring, and reinstalled. Still nothing. It is a fricking plug and play kit. One plug to the ballast, two single pin plugs to the HID bulb, and the single pin plugs are male-female and female-male (each side has a female and a male plug, no crossed wires.)

Also, the high beams I got were the wrong bulbs. I have called the manufacturer to get new bulbs, and I am going to try the ballasts on the known good plug tomorrow morning to double check that the ballasts are good.

I know the plugs are getting power, as the original bulbs still work perfectly. I just don't get it.

Now, I installed a fire and ice LED light bar under my tailgate a few months ago, and had problems there, too. The lights worked on one of my dad's 03 silveradoes, but not mine, or the dually ( all 3 are 2003 models.) We contacted the manufacturer then, and they sent us an inline resistor(???) because they said these trucks have a logic ground or something like that. I don't know if this is true, or has anything to do with my current issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. Here's a comparison pic of the HID (passenger) and standard (driver) bulbs. Too bad only the passenger low beam works with the HID

post-14550-067188500 1296352673_thumb.jpg

Might not be your issue but worth a shot. According to DDM our trucks have "reverse polarity" so for their kits we have to plug the oem wires "backwards/upside down" into the ballast. Try that and see if it changes anything for you. Might not considering your passenger works still. It's what I had to do to get my ddm kits working.

Edited by ThatTallCanadian (see edit history)

The only problem is, that the instructions say NOT to reverse polarity because it would burn up the ballast. I'm still trying to get ahold of the manufacturer to see what they say.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by TXblueSS (see edit history)

I just don't understand why 1 works, but the rest don't???I mean, I'll try it, but I think the plug only goes 1 way??

Now that you mention it. I don't remember if it was the bulb connection or at the ballast but one of them can be flipped. That's what worked for me and many others from what I've read in the past.

Enjoy your HID's :pepsicheer:

OK, they now all work... sort of...

Now, the passenger side high and driver's low only come on every other time I turn on the headlight switch. I have double-triple-and quadruple checked my wiring, and fiddling with the wiring does NOT make the light flicker or go out. The only thing that works is to kill the headlights and turn them back on (to turn on the low beam) or cycle the hi beams (for the high). Very strange. I have tried moving the ballasts around, same thing, same places. I am about ready to quit fiddling with the electrical system for good. This truck gives me nothing but trouble every time I try something electrical or computer related... Luckily I don't have anything else to do once my HID's are working.

oh, and I got the correct bulbs today, only he didn't have any more 6000k's. I decided to get 8000's for the highs, and kept my 6000's for the lows. I think it looks great, when they all work.

Thanks again guys and gals for all of your help.

-Tim

post-14550-094998500 1296422718_thumb.jpg

Edited by TXblueSS (see edit history)

mine do that a lot too, only one will pop on. i was so pissed i had just replaced a bulb cuz it blew, then that started happening and i thought i blew another bulb, now i check everytime i start the truck lol