cam swap

Or, anyone willing to help him?

who would want to help him :rolleyes: ...

there has got to be a few places there in cali...why can't you just do it yourself makina..???

rayn you dick!

unsure of the complexity of doing it myself, some guidence would be terrific!

It is kinda easy... Might be tougher in Cali, though

serisously, how do you define easy?? like an oil change easy :wtf:

serisously, how do you define easy?? like an oil change easy 

It's a lot of work, but pretty straight forward. I've typed this three times and it keeps getting buggered up, but here goes...

1) remove radiator, fan, fan shroud, h2o pump, timing gear cover, valve covers, intake

2) remove cam gear, rocker arms, push rods, lifters (keep push rods and lifters as a set unless you replace the push rods).

3) thread a long bolt into the cam gear hole on the cam

4) pull the cam straight out, carefully and slowly

5) put lots of cam assy lube on the lobes and cam journals

6) put the long bolt in the new cam and slide the new cam in the block

7) reinstall the cam gear (make sure the dots line up or time it with lift gauges for alternate timings)

8) reinstall the lifters, pushrods and rockers (but don't tighten the rockers)

9) for each cylinder, find TDC, and tighten the rockers until there is no lash in the push rods, then add 1/2 turn

10) put the timing cover on (make sure the dots line up :) )

11) button her up (make sure to torque the intake).

I haven't done an SSS cam swap, so someone who has might point out stuff specific to the SSS, but that's the basic idea.

First time you do a cam, expect it to take all day. I'd want someone who's done a cam to help me the first time (or at least be a phone call away for :confused: )

You have to remove and replace the crank pulley also. Understood, but can be difficult for some, especially the re-install with the right torque specs.

No lash requirements for the stock lifter. You torque the rocker stud nuts to 22-25ftlbs.

If you want to read the whole procedure got to LS1HOWTO.com and read the tech article. It has a tools list and list all of the torque specs making it one of the best sources for this job. It's for a f-body but nearly all is exactly the same.

Archived