Best Rear Ends To Buy

There isn't a great version to buy. Honestly the fix I've been waiting for is for someone to develop a differential cooler system for the front diff. GM uses them on the Corvette's and I personally would like to see someone rebuild one using all of the GM bearings to spec and build a diff cooler system to not only increase the capacity (the main problem to the front diff), but to also keep the fluid temps down. At least GM has began using synthetic fluid only in them. It is a shame though that Eaton didn't release their E-locker for the front diff.

ive found a couple solutions , including a 9'' in front . not cheap and fully custom but an option .

my worry is the locker in the front , at any loss of traction you wont be able to turn with it locked up .

also from my research no one has done an e-locker for a drag setup at least eaton doesent recomend driving with it locked past 20 mph. if it can be done or not is still a ?.

There are actually some Duramax's running E-lockers in the front. The black regular cab 1500 series that got one of those rare prototype e-lockers in the front also said that he had used it at the track. You should be able to still turn with the front locked, but in a dragstrip only application it should just pull the truck straight. It's the kind of thing that you'd lock in only after you were straight and ligning up for the lights and then unlocking after crossing the traps.

For the all out applications it would seem to be easier to just buy a frame and running gear from a 2500 (non HD series) which should just bolt up to the SSS body, but leave you with the front 9.25" diff, 9.5" rear diff, and factory 4L80E mounting setup. I expect someone will do thise conversion at some point. The 9.25" front would leave you with the option for an E-Locker such as the setup that Michael Tomac runs. Bad ass D'Max... The front diff in the SSS tends to have more bearing failures than breakage from power issue's, but mostly because the front just spins once you start putting real power to it.

kind of topic and im sure ill ask you this weekend, but is there anyway to put a selectable t case in our awd ss trucks? is the wiring there ? not being able to control if one axle or the other gets the power kind of sucks . if its locked in at 50/50 it may actually be beneficial .