Upgrade 5.3 In Silverado Lt To Lq9?

rkn463

I know this is saying-after-the-fact, but you are going to kick yourself when you find the 6.0L gets BETTER mileage than the 5.3L; when I bought my SSS six years ago (wow!) my coworker at the time also bought an EC GMC w/ 5.3L, and my truck got consistent 1+ better city and highway MPG even before I got the aftermarket PCM tune. MidnightRidr has a truck just like yours, swapped his 5.3L for a LQ4 w/ Radix and that truck gets 22-mpg! So my point is, don't think that swapping to a 6.0L is a economic mistake.

AFA the swap itself, just as everyone else has already said - it is a complete slam-dunk, litterally the same physical effort as swapping in another 5.3L, the wiring, sensors, and accessories are the same, if there are any differences they are *very* minor. The 5.3L PCM in your truck will start and idle the 6.0L so you can make sure your new motor is mechanically sound, but you will need a re-tune specifically for the 6.0L motor before you try to make power with it.

Mr. P.

First off, thanks to all for the replies! Is it safe to assume that I would be better off going with another '04 motor? Unfortunately I've already replaced the motor in this truck once (long story, I'll probably go into it on another post) anyway the motor I swapped in was out of a '99. It had AIR (I think that is what they call it) plumbed into the exhaust that my truck didn't have. It also was not a drive-by-wire motor so I ended up swapping for my full original intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, injectors, etc. I was figuring on getting the complete engine will all of this same stuff on it and want to make sure I don't end up chasing parts for weeks. That brings another question to mind... are the throttle bodies and injectors different between the 5.3 and the LQ9? And last (for now) I have been told that the SS, Vortec Max, Escalade and Denali 6.0 are all the same, is that true?

Thanks again,

Gravity Storm

• 2 weeks later...

First off, thanks to all for the replies! Is it safe to assume that I would be better off going with another '04 motor? Unfortunately I've already replaced the motor in this truck once (long story, I'll probably go into it on another post) anyway the motor I swapped in was out of a '99. It had AIR (I think that is what they call it) plumbed into the exhaust that my truck didn't have. It also was not a drive-by-wire motor so I ended up swapping for my full original intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, injectors, etc. I was figuring on getting the complete engine will all of this same stuff on it and want to make sure I don't end up chasing parts for weeks. That brings another question to mind... are the throttle bodies and injectors different between the 5.3 and the LQ9? And last (for now) I have been told that the SS, Vortec Max, Escalade and Denali 6.0 are all the same, is that true?

Thanks again,

Gravity Storm

Yes the TB and injectors are the same. and kind off, early Denali's had the LQ4, the later ones got the LQ9.

Question? Rite now my turck is drive by wire and i think the 6.0 is electonic? What the most desent setup?

SS didn't come in 02 so will the LQ9 bolt right up to the 02 also. i would really like some more umph outta her!

You guys will need to keep your original intake manifold with its accessories so that everything will be plug and play.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

awesome i cant wait to try this out! out with wimpy 4.8 in with the strong 6.0

one more question guys i have a 4.8 if i was to get a 6.0 BLOCK SINCE EVERYTHING IS BOLT ON DOES THAT INCLUDE HEADS N EVERY OTHER ACCESORIES ON THE 4.8???