Awd Drive Shaft Loops

04CHASE

ok so rules state any car running 13.0 or quicker using radials or slicks must be equipped with a driveline loop to prevent from a crash. they dont car but the real damage is done to the underside of the truck when things break it breaks everything it hit including exhaust and gas tanks . ive seen it happen many times on big trucks and hydraulic hose is also something ive seen git ripped apart.

anyway i need to address this as a safety feature to continure to run my truck at the strip . im trying to decide to make somethign permanent or bolt in so i can make a few for some on here. what ive rear we only need one at the front of each shaft( ie t case tail shaft for the rear and front diff for the front shaft .

i already have some ideas for the front as there is a couple place to bolt too. rules also state it needs to be at minumum 2 inch wide and 1/4" thick if made from steel or same 2" wide and 3/8 thick aluminum. ive seen a few and it may be the easiest to just get some 4-5" aluminum pipe 3/8 thick and make mounts similar to this

RearDSFrontShield.jpeg

FrontDSFrontShield.jpeg

has anyone else done anything similar ? post some pics if you got em.

its actually in two different spots. not my truck this is me gettign ideas from the deisel guys , where they have a 99+ ex cab in the lower 10's and high 9's already.

the first one looks easy as it bolts to the front diff by pinching the area around the input seal

the other is on the rear of the t-case and will be pretty light weight with only having the aluminum bar accross. i may try and do it like the first pic with the pinch bolts though as it eliminates cross members and weight. . so in reality i may just need about 20 inchs of 4 inch aluminumn pipe 3/8 thick along with some bolts and nuts and i could be done.

those are a last ditch effort , they will work no doubt but this will be something more per application and trying to use aluminum with minumum hardware and bracketry to keep weight down. just need to go outside measure u joints diameter and go from there. if i can just get a couple pieces long enough to slip over the pinion bearing and use some pinch bolts to hold them in place like pictured about that would be easy .

I never even noticed that you didn't have them already. It'll be a good thing for you already with the power level you are at and the dangers if they break. The way Tomac set his up is pretty nice since it will very much limit the movement of it quite a bit better than the universal oval shape versions. I also like that it's aluminum for weight savings. The studs on the Silverado's are pretty long, but have they ever said anything to you about needing a longer wheel stud?

nope never had any flak on wheel studs , stronger axles , or a trans blanket ..... yet

the cage is the most important and the most questioned. the driveshaft loops are just an assumption as well as tech inspectors not having a clue what my truck runs.

im all about keeping it simple and if i can just use some 4-5 inch aluminum tube with pinch bolts well that would be grand.

ive got a lot of setup to get done on the ss before its race ready . so along with swapping gears ill get this done as well as some suspension mods that should allow dead hook

does anyone have part # for the qa1 shocks for a 4x4 ?

wow i cant belive they havent givin you a hard time yet about wheel studs or drive shaft loops..!! altho do u find it that your in a truck they dont seem to pay as much attention?? most of the time i take mine to the track they dont even pop the hood..granted im not in the 11s yet..let alone the 10s but still it kinda shocks me some times..

ive takin bone stock convertable corvette there and they werent going to let me run at allll just because its a vert and they go over my 69 camaro like crazy but the truck just about gets a free pass threw tech

diffently scary to not have a loop..ive broke 2 in my camaro and the underside of the car took one hell of a beating..and happened on the street and diffently scares you when you brake one off the line orr like me when u hit second gear.lucky for me it was at the rear and not the front ..that could have polevault the car on to its roof

ive never thought about alum..great idea..my only issue with those setups is there great if you break at the u joint or an input shaft..but what about one for the middle in case you have a failure in the middle .. chances are thats not where it would happen but with that kinda of power and weight its something to think about

I have had the same thoughts of installing driveshaft safety loops - my ideas where to make something similar to the Lakewood piece (an oval that separates in the middle) and weld the top-half of it to the stock carrier bearing crossmember, the upper-half of the safety loop would permanently be there and after installing the driveline one would just put the bottom "U-strap" into position and wrench it home with a couple bolts... Second idea (for the front driveline) was very similar to the first, a two-piece loop where the upper-half had a strut that ran upwards and was retained in place by bellhousing studs, then the bottom-half not only bolted in place but also had a strut of its own that bolted to the two drivers-side 18mm bolts that hold the skid plate under the oil pan, that way this front loop piece would have more structure to it. :dunno: For me servicibility is the big thing, I want something that is easily removed!

Mr. P.

same here P , i want something that takes one wrench to remove in a matter of a minute or two . similar to this

RearDSFrontLoop.jpeg

just a nice piece of flat bar with a couple pieces of angle to bolt it to the frame on the ends and like this will be easily removable. probably use either nut-serts on the frame weld in a couple nuts on top so its a one wrench job.

Nut-serts are keewwl. :pimp:

most people dont even know what they are . i use them on alot of side view mirror repairs on door skins , they used them factory on alot of big trucks .

i have them on quite a few spots where metal is to thin to tap and too much of a pita to get on the other side. this is how my intercooler is mounted . they are cool.

nope never had any flak on wheel studs , stronger axles , or a trans blanket ..... yet

the cage is the most important and the most questioned. the driveshaft loops are just an assumption as well as tech inspectors not having a clue what my truck runs.

im all about keeping it simple and if i can just use some 4-5 inch aluminum tube with pinch bolts well that would be grand.

ive got a lot of setup to get done on the ss before its race ready . so along with swapping gears ill get this done as well as some suspension mods that should allow dead hook

does anyone have part # for the qa1 shocks for a 4x4 ?

I have those part numbers written down somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them up. Can't wait to put QA1's on my truck.