Lt Time

03SSrado

Hey guys im thinkin within the next month or so when i can get a little more money set back for the truck i'd like to do a set of LT's on my SS.

Just curious if anyone has any they are willing to let go for a reasonable price. dont really wanna pay for a new set. also what are yalls thoughts on underdrive pulleys. thinkin LT's , pulleys, and a tune out of my next couple checks.

If I were you I would do LTs and a full custom exhaust and electric fans and a tune. Underdrive pullies are good but I think they take away from some of your charging power so you might want to upgrade your alternator. Im not totally sure on that but im sure someone will chime in.

If I were you I would do LTs and a full custom exhaust and electric fans and a tune. Underdrive pullies are good but I think they take away from some of your charging power so you might want to upgrade your alternator. Im not totally sure on that but im sure someone will chime in.

yeah i will agree with you upfront on the charging deal. my brother was saying the same thing he noticed a little less chargin when he did pullies on his camaro. planning on the LTs and tune for sure but thanks for the idea on the fans.. wasnt even thinkin about that.

with droppin the cats and runnin LTs im sure ill feel a little more kick wont i?

If I were you, I would do the a 160 thermostat 1st along with a tune/coolant flush. Then jump into LTs with a coolant flush and/or a muffler (magnaflow, borla) instead of a full exhaust setup. The stock pipes are great in my opinion, just replace the muffler if your on a budget. Then again it all depends on the sound you like (deep tone like billy boat or mild like corsa except at wot)

If I were you, I would do the a 160 thermostat 1st along with a tune/coolant flush. Then jump into LTs with a coolant flush and/or a muffler (magnaflow, borla) instead of a full exhaust setup. The stock pipes are great in my opinion, just replace the muffler if your on a budget. Then again it all depends on the sound you like (deep tone like billy boat or mild like corsa except at wot)

already have an aftermarket muffler on it. im leavin factory set up i love havin it lookin like a sleeper/ different than every other truck on the road that has the dual flowmaster exhaust/ tips. i'd like to do headers prior to the tune just for the sake of tunin w/o the cats and stuff. waiting on winter to be completely gone before tstat but the way it looks here its probably gone so good tip!

thanks guys i really appreciate it. probably order LTs this weekend or next, ready to hear her rumble a little more than she already does.

What headers you going with? If you are on a budget, obx seems to make a nice set of headers...havn't seen anything negative about them..maybe a few members with them will chime in..just my duece cents

im not set on a certain brand, yes im on a budget.. i know i ve heard great things about pacesetters. but im just lookin for an affordable set. dont necessarily have to be powdercoated , i would like for them to be but a buddy of mine does powdercoating so if i found a cheap enough set w/ out bein coated i would settle.

but yes im on a budget, only 18 and still in school but tryin to mod the ol ss

yeah i will agree with you upfront on the charging deal. my brother was saying the same thing he noticed a little less chargin when he did pullies on his camaro. planning on the LTs and tune for sure but thanks for the idea on the fans.. wasnt even thinkin about that.

with droppin the cats and runnin LTs im sure ill feel a little more kick wont i?

Ya with no cats and LTs youll notice a good difference as long as its tuned, if its not tuned theres a chance it will run worse and youll get terrible economy. As far as advice on headers it depends on what you want to spend. If you live anywhere were there is snow you will want some sort of ceramic coated header people say stainless wont rust but stainless does rust it just normally doesnt rot it will pit and discolor. I run the pacesetter ceramic coated LTs and I dont have any issues with them at all except on the passanger side one of the pipes just barley hits the frame so depending how the truck is positioned it rattles, but I live in Connecticut for part of the winter and there is no way I was going to get not coated headers.If you decide you like those go to Texas Speed and Performance Ive bought 2 sets from there and its the cheapest around. I paid $426.00 shipped to my door. But if you get pacesetters make sure they are ceramic coated no matter what because the painted ones will rust like nothing they are just a regular steel header! Unless ceramic coated. Another choice is OBX which you can usually find for around $495.00 which are knock offs of the old dynatech headers and dynatechs are one of the best headers you can buy. The only downside with this is they are not ceramic coated but they are stainless steel but they will discolor and theres a chance depending where you live that they will eventually rust. Now another choice is the Speed daddy headers on ebay which are the exact same things as the OBX headers but I think they are around $300 but they are also non coated stainless steel. With either the OBX's or the Speed daddy headers youll have to either modify or find a way to protect your plug wire from hitting one of the header pipes. The thing with both these headers though is they bolth come with Y pipes and you stated you were going to use the stock pipes so then youd have a Y pipe sitting around. Unless you bought the OBX's specifically for the 6.0s which are basically they same as the stock pipes just with dummy cats. One of the cheapst ways to do it is if you live somewhere where there is no snow try the speed daddy headers on ebay and just set the Y pipe to the side and just use the headers and have an exhaust shop weld everything up for you unless you weld yourself. If I were in your shoes Id buy the pacesetter ceramic coated LTs and connect them to the stock pipes and be done with it. But whatever you do make sure you get a good custom tune other wise it really wont be worth it. The tune makes a huge difference!! And youll need it to turn off the rear O2 sensors.

Thanks Jordan836.

Ive seen good reviews and looks like alotta guys on here run the pacesetters.. im leanin that way right now. yeah i gotta guy here that does AWESOME tuning work, he just pulled 68 hp out of my buddies ls1 and is going to be tuning my brothers lt1 here in a couple weeks. he also pulled 35 hp out of a 5.3. so im feelin good about dropping the headers and letting him work his magic on the SSS.

i really appreciate everyones input.

No problem, any time. It sounds like that guy is good at tuning so im sure youll knotice a good difference!

oh yeah. I'm hoping to get the ol SS in the 8's with just bolt ons and not alotta money. right now shes a consistent 9.44-9.46 truck with a k&n CAI and cheap muffler. i dont care if after a couple mods it goes 8.999 i'd be happy haha but i know thats a big gap