Anyone Into Mountain Biking?

fox_forma

Seems like all my buddies sold off their dirt bikes so I haven't been out in a long time and last time I did go out I was winded quickly and didn't feel comfortable hitting the technical stuff at a higher rate of speed. To help with my reaction time and hopefully lose some lbs I bought a mountain bike. Its an older one but its been good to me so far. I am already looking to upgrade to something a little more oriented to a faster pace bike as mine is more XC only and I don't trust my fat ass hitting anything big going down the trail. So does anyone else ride?

Here is my Kona Mokomoko, Theres a chance I might trade it off for another bike more oriented for All mountain terrain.

post-6368-055195100 1298518081_thumb.jpg

post-6368-007769500 1298518095_thumb.jpg

Seems like all my buddies sold off their dirt bikes so I haven't been out in a long time and last time I did go out I was winded quickly and didn't feel comfortable hitting the technical stuff at a higher rate of speed. To help with my reaction time and hopefully lose some lbs I bought a mountain bike. Its an older one but its been good to me so far. I am already looking to upgrade to something a little more oriented to a faster pace bike as mine is more XC only and I don't trust my fat ass hitting anything big going down the trail. So does anyone else ride?

Here is my Kona Mokomoko, Theres a chance I might trade it off for another bike more oriented for All mountain terrain.

How tall are you? I own a bike store so the options are endless especially with an SS discount, when you say all mountain what kind of travel are you looking for? I have some leftover stuff in stock and the ability to order 2011 stuff.

id love to do it too . it looks like fun but also more metal in my arm lol .Mike my BNL that came out with me when we crashed at your place was very good. almost pro and very ballsy he still has a couple bad ass bikes too. we have some good places to go here . big bear snow resort used to run in the summer for downhill and was awesome

rey , chpspecial is also into it . he does some cross country too but isnt bad from what i hear.

maybe ill borrow a bike and get into it . the last thing i need is another expensive hobby i can hurt myself with though .

I use to ride during high school but stopped due to injury/multiple surgeries. I road the down hill courses that Tinker Jaurez and Missey Giove won downhill titles in 97-98 up in Mt. Snow, Vermont. I was expecting the course to toss me around but it was suprisingly easy, they took down the 10' tall jumps when we showed up :shakehead:

I'm 5'9 and looking for a something with around 6" of travel hopefully. I been talking to someone who wants to possibly trade a GT force3 for my Kona which seems it might fit the bill a little better. I am still learning a lot about bikes so my options are open. Money is just a little tight right now so buying new is most likely out of the question.

I ride all summer long. The last 5 months or so when I can get out (weather permitted) I just ride around the neighborhood. I'm looking forward to nice weather to start hitting the trails. I normally go to a local park that has 30 miles of trails through the woods, some are real intense while others are just right for me. I am not into jumping or anything like that, so I ride the more medium level trails.

And as for my dirtbike, it's sat in my garage now for 3yrs without being touched. I tried to start it up last summer only to find I left gas in it so now the carb is all messed up and I dont know how to take it apart to clean it. : (

Edited by cwest94 (see edit history)

Like chase said, I do alot of cycling, I just did the tour of palm springs (103miles) and am trainning to do at least three double centuries (200+ miles in one day) so that I can get the california triple crown jersey. I also love mountain biking, either XC, downhill, freestyle and so on... and here is my take on this, you got to be very careful on the suspension and type of bike that you get for what you are going to do... Don't sell youself on 6" of travel unless you absolutely need it. I got and entry level Raleigh to do XC, and a more hard core Haro anthem x2 to do downhill and freeride. Performance wise, the raleigh with its 4-5" of travel outperforms the haro in everyway. The Haro has 5-6" of travel. and while the Haro is faster downhill, it is a bear and a half to push uphills. So unless you are going to be driven to the summit of a trail head, a bike with big suspension might not be very suitable. Also, suspension is a little more affordable now so upgrading will be easier, I have full air shocks on both bikes and that in itself gaind me 4 min and 4mph faster on a 10mile XC loop in the local mountains... however there are also cons to air suspensions, so ask questions first and get what fits you and your ride style and not what your friends do/use....

:withstupid: I rode Raleigh, still have the bike and it works mint and over 12 years old. Just need new shocks up front but mine has treated me perfect. Comfortable downhilling, and lightweight for those XC adventures.

Like chase said, I do alot of cycling, I just did the tour of palm springs (103miles) and am trainning to do at least three double centuries (200+ miles in one day) so that I can get the california triple crown jersey. I also love mountain biking, either XC, downhill, freestyle and so on... and here is my take on this, you got to be very careful on the suspension and type of bike that you get for what you are going to do... Don't sell youself on 6" of travel unless you absolutely need it. I got and entry level Raleigh to do XC, and a more hard core Haro anthem x2 to do downhill and freeride. Performance wise, the raleigh with its 4-5" of travel outperforms the haro in everyway. The Haro has 5-6" of travel. and while the Haro is faster downhill, it is a bear and a half to push uphills. So unless you are going to be driven to the summit of a trail head, a bike with big suspension might not be very suitable. Also, suspension is a little more affordable now so upgrading will be easier, I have full air shocks on both bikes and that in itself gaind me 4 min and 4mph faster on a 10mile XC loop in the local mountains... however there are also cons to air suspensions, so ask questions first and get what fits you and your ride style and not what your friends do/use....

Upgrading the suspension was my first thought but my concern is more of the frame. My Kona weighs 25lbs as it sits right now. I know with the XC set-up they shaved a lot of weight with the frame itself. I don't want to upgrade suspension if I have to worry more about the frame coming apart on me during a run. The rear shock is a Fox Float, just air. No other adjustments can be made. Front forks are Bomber Z4 flylight. Unless I can find used parts at a cheap price that I can upgrade with I don't feel like dropping $500-1000 on a bike that is fairly old.

please don't forget before making any purchases that I own a bike shop.

You will be the first i contact if I decide to buy something else. You have any used stuff laying around I could use?

I got a reallly cool fuji pro series hard tail on consignment. 1300 dollar bike for 500. its a 17 inch frame.

Damn, wish I wasn't broke as hell.

What are your thoughts on the giant warp ds2 mountain bikes?