Stock Brakes

Fors

What are the rotor sizes stock? Does 2003 models have rotors or drums in the back? I'm asking because mine has rotors all the way around and they are larger in the back....thought it was suppose to be other way around.

Well I measured them and I'm pretty sure the rear were 13 inches and the fronts are 12. If I go about replacing these, since my front right one is completely ruined and the truck doesn't like stopping anymore I should replace them with the same size right? If I was to go bigger id have to have different calipers, brackets and such, also with the truck being so low that might be a problem.

Well I measured them and I'm pretty sure the rear were 13 inches and the fronts are 12. If I go about replacing these, since my front right one is completely ruined and the truck doesn't like stopping anymore I should replace them with the same size right? If I was to go bigger id have to have different calipers, brackets and such, also with the truck being so low that might be a problem.

Yup if you go bigger u need to upgrade some parts. there are a few topics on this.. I went with the NAPA high performance rotors. Cross drilled and slotted.. Not cheap but I get a discount due to my pops working there.. There much better then the regular ones.. Also make sure the pistons go back in on that front one.. Sounds like the caliper is junk!! If so replace both fronts.. I can't begin to tell you how many calipers and rotors I went threw on my ss till I finally got it right or when ever the truck decided to stop eating brake parts LOL.. These trucks aren't fun when it comes to the braking system....

Alot of guys upgrade to the baer brake kits and also some people run the zo6 conversion!!! You won't have problems with being low..

Edited by Sick03ss (see edit history)

It got ruined from me and my dads learning experience when I was having cv axle problems....we took the cv axle that kept breaking out from the front right....little did we know it held the whole wheel hub together. Drove it up and down the driveway to be safe a few times and then off he went down the road and he never came back :banghead: called me and when I got there my wheel was at a very bad angle and we had to end up driving her home like that at 5 mph, made the awefullest noise. Im hoping its just the rotor messed up but it might of damaged the caliper. Ive seen the z06 conversion and 3,000 dollars is alot of money and Im assuming baer and brembo kits arent cheap either. Whats so expensive about the kits? I googled for the z06 calipers but all I found was an odd site that said they were around 600ish dollars each. ouch.

Oh i know I had the conversion kit but I sold it due to needed the money and also it made no sense for me to have that kit because parts would be hard for me to get.. The rotors are bigger so your looking $$$ there calipers are any where from 400 to 600 and that might be for 4 of them.. Then you need to find the brackets those are $$$ and then the bolts and washer $7.00. and then the upgraded lines if you can find those..

Is there specific model number calipers for either baer or brembo or will they all work if you have the brackets for them? I cant even find a store on either brembo or baers site.

EDIT: Seems this whole there theres been a forum filter to block out posts over 30 days old..........no wonder I can never find any info, now I see plenty to read up on.

Edited by Fors (see edit history)

You're correct on pricing for the Z06 upgrade. It'll vary depending on how well you do on the price you pay for things. There are deals to be had, but i did a LOT of looking over time and it'll be around $3000. The brembro and baer kits will go over $5K new for all four unless you come across someone unloading them (rare) or you can find used sets....even then it's gonna be pricey.

If you're not ready to shell out that kind of money, you can always go the direction i did in the beginning. Get some drilled/slotted better stock sized rotors, good pads and more importantly stainless lines (Earls) and replace fluid with synthetic. Personally, i noticed a big difference when i did this. Of course, many on this site, me included, would argue that it's still not enough of an improvement to stop these big pigs when you really need to stop. Looking back and knowing what i know from what i've done, at the least i would do everything i just stated PLUS i would go with larger rotors if i had the money. Thats the very least i would do to make up for something that should've been done from the factory. When you get into your first fender bender with one of these trucks and you're standing on the brakes and it just won't stop, you'll realize how important it is. I was lucky...fairly low speed, someone pulled out in front of me a couple years back and i had stock brakes. The pig just wouldn't stop. That's when i started to learn a lot about brakes deficiencies on the SS.

Still contemplating a big brake upgrade but looking at my stock setup im wondering if id have to have spacers for my wheels? If that's something that'd have to be done then its out of the question. Right nowthe caliper is pretty close to the spokes...extending it an inch or two doesn't look feasible but im not sure. Also bigger rotors outside of the initial set are only obtainable from calling the company? Curious of the price of larger ones compared to stock.

As far as the stock components go for the 2003 thru 2005 ½ models with 4-wheel disc brakes:

• Front Caliper Size – 51mm twin-piston iron PBR
  • Front Disc Size – (in/mm) 12.01 x 1.14in / 305 x 29mm
  • Rear Caliper Size – 45mm twin-piston aluminum PBR
  • Rear Disc Size – (in/mm) 13.00 x 1.18in / 330 x 30mm