4L60E Woes (Rwd)

Hey guys.

Starting last week at certian moments when I give it 60% or more throttle the truck has missed the 2-3 shift (several times) and then grabbed it a second later... Also last week I hammered it on the highway (~70mph) and it missed the 4-3 downshift.

Each time it missed it waited a second or so and then grabbed with a *clunk* but in the meantime the motor revved up to 4 or 5 grand... The gears don't appear to be slipping and the fluid all looks fresh and clean still. The parts are pretty fresh:

Trans Go HD2 kit

Aftermarket pump slide spring

Sonex Servo Release Valve

Sonex Smart Shell

New valve body plate

Torlon check balls

Corvette Servos

Alto hi-energy clutches

3-4 clutch is Alto Red Eagle

Kevlar Band

3500 Stall

Later last week the tranny really started acting up on the highway. It seemed like it was slipping and couldnt carry the load when I tried to accelerate to pass someone. It would rev up and the revs wouldn't match the speed. Once I got off the highway and back on normal roads it was even doing this in 1st and second gear; revving high and working hard but not going anywhere really. When I would park it then turn it back on later, it would be fine for about 20 min, then start these problems again. Slowly, then they just get worse and worse till I have to park it again.

So on Saturday I dropped the pan and installed new A and B shift solenoids, line pressure solenoid, as well as a new filter. fluid looked good with normal wear and break in, only 2 microscopic peices of metal were found. Nothing indicative of a mechanical failure inside the tranny itself...

Bolted everything back up, and this thing is still acting up. Previous owner thinks it is not getting enough line pressure and says it may be from the transmission cooler being gunked up?

To sum up the symptoms: It has gone from just not grabbing gears to seemingly slipping until eventually it will barely go even when it is revved up to 3 or 4 k. When I shut the truck off and let it rest for several mins, then turn it back on, it runs ok for a while but eventually loses "grip" and doesn't carry the load. Tranny fluid still looks clean and normal. Replaced shift solenoids and line pressure solenoid and filter.

The previous owner is associating all of this with line pressure. I am tempted to have someone come over and raise the line pressure across the board 10 - 15 % ... but if it is clogged from the oil cooler then raising the line pressure wouldn't solve that. Not to mention that the guy at the tranny shop told me transmission cooler wont affect line pressure.

What do you guys think?

Also on a fun side note, I think I re-installed the 1-2 accumulator wrong.I had to remove it to install the line pressure solenoid and I dropped it and the pieces fell everywhere so I had to take my best guess. The tranny has a shift kit so I don't think it is all factory.

Starting from the bottom up, I had the accumulator metal housing with 3 bolt holes. Then I put in the 2 metal spacers on bottom. Then the first spring. Then I put a brass dish with the dome facing the spring and the flat surface facing the white plastic diaphragm. Then on top of the white diaphragm, recessed into it, I put the last spring. Then I bolted it up... Was this correct? I think it was wrong because one time on decel my whole cabin started vibrating. I think it was the way that diaphragm was bouncing wrong in that accumulator...

Any help would be appreciated yall. This is my DD baby hauler / grocery getter / work truck and we are getting a little too familiar with eachother at this point...

Hey guys.

Starting last week at certian moments when I give it 60% or more throttle the truck has missed the 2-3 shift (several times) and then grabbed it a second later... Also last week I hammered it on the highway (~70mph) and it missed the 4-3 downshift.

Each time it missed it waited a second or so and then grabbed with a *clunk* but in the meantime the motor revved up to 4 or 5 grand... The gears don't appear to be slipping and the fluid all looks fresh and clean still. The parts are pretty fresh:

Trans Go HD2 kit

Aftermarket pump slide spring

Sonex Servo Release Valve

Sonex Smart Shell

New valve body plate

Torlon check balls

Corvette Servos

Alto hi-energy clutches

3-4 clutch is Alto Red Eagle

Kevlar Band

3500 Stall

Later last week the tranny really started acting up on the highway. It seemed like it was slipping and couldnt carry the load when I tried to accelerate to pass someone. It would rev up and the revs wouldn't match the speed. Once I got off the highway and back on normal roads it was even doing this in 1st and second gear; revving high and working hard but not going anywhere really. When I would park it then turn it back on later, it would be fine for about 20 min, then start these problems again. Slowly, then they just get worse and worse till I have to park it again.

So on Saturday I dropped the pan and installed new A and B shift solenoids, line pressure solenoid, as well as a new filter. fluid looked good with normal wear and break in, only 2 microscopic peices of metal were found. Nothing indicative of a mechanical failure inside the tranny itself...

Bolted everything back up, and this thing is still acting up. Previous owner thinks it is not getting enough line pressure and says it may be from the transmission cooler being gunked up?

To sum up the symptoms: It has gone from just not grabbing gears to seemingly slipping until eventually it will barely go even when it is revved up to 3 or 4 k. When I shut the truck off and let it rest for several mins, then turn it back on, it runs ok for a while but eventually loses "grip" and doesn't carry the load. Tranny fluid still looks clean and normal. Replaced shift solenoids and line pressure solenoid and filter.

The previous owner is associating all of this with line pressure. I am tempted to have someone come over and raise the line pressure across the board 10 - 15 % ... but if it is clogged from the oil cooler then raising the line pressure wouldn't solve that. Not to mention that the guy at the tranny shop told me transmission cooler wont affect line pressure.

What do you guys think?

Also on a fun side note, I think I re-installed the 1-2 accumulator wrong.I had to remove it to install the line pressure solenoid and I dropped it and the pieces fell everywhere so I had to take my best guess. The tranny has a shift kit so I don't think it is all factory.

Starting from the bottom up, I had the accumulator metal housing with 3 bolt holes. Then I put in the 2 metal spacers on bottom. Then the first spring. Then I put a brass dish with the dome facing the spring and the flat surface facing the white plastic diaphragm. Then on top of the white diaphragm, recessed into it, I put the last spring. Then I bolted it up... Was this correct? I think it was wrong because one time on decel my whole cabin started vibrating. I think it was the way that diaphragm was bouncing wrong in that accumulator...

Any help would be appreciated yall. This is my DD baby hauler / grocery getter / work truck and we are getting a little too familiar with eachother at this point...

Can you verify line pressure? Many times the EPC isn't replaced, but often it causes loss of pressure and ultimately trans damage.

Can you verify line pressure? Many times the EPC isn't replaced, but often it causes loss of pressure and ultimately trans damage.

I am going to park it and buy a gauge this week.

The fluid did smell slightly burnt but I figured they always smell like that after driving for some time. And like I said the debris in the catch can was more like residue rather than metal shavings. Unless the residue is metal... And I changed the EPC solenoid... isnt it the one that you have to unbolt/move the 1-2 collector to get out and replace? If so, I did that 2 days ago.

Since the trans if beefed up well along with a shift kit, you may want to think twice about bumping line pressures up.......from what I remember being told by a few tuners, when you have a shift kit, most trans parameters including line pressures should stay at stock levels.....

Since the trans if beefed up well along with a shift kit, you may want to think twice about bumping line pressures up.......from what I remember being told by a few tuners, when you have a shift kit, most trans parameters including line pressures should stay at stock levels.....

iamwithstupid.gif keep the stock line pressure

The fluid shouldn't smell burnt at all.Trans fluid does not smell great to start with but it should never even have a hint of smelling burnt.Get some new fluid and smell that compared to the fluid you have now.I know with the design of most coolers that if a trans blows and debri gets in the cooler that it cannot be cleaned properly and needs to be replaced.This may be an old design but supposedly there are small scales built into the cooling tubes which can trap debri and are almost impossible to clean.You could buy a new cooler which wouldn't be a bad investment anyway and see what happens.

Good luck.

The fluid shouldn't smell burnt at all.Trans fluid does not smell great to start with but it should never even have a hint of smelling burnt.Get some new fluid and smell that compared to the fluid you have now.I know with the design of most coolers that if a trans blows and debri gets in the cooler that it cannot be cleaned properly and needs to be replaced.This may be an old design but supposedly there are small scales built into the cooling tubes which can trap debri and are almost impossible to clean.You could buy a new cooler which wouldn't be a bad investment anyway and see what happens.

Good luck.

This tranny did blow once previously and was rebuilt with these parts. Same oil cooler. I have parked the truck and will order a cooler today or tomorrow.

Well I installed my trucool 24k tranny oil cooler last weekend and it seemed ok at first. Transmission was snappy and responsive. Then after about 20 miles it started slipping again. not as bad as before but it is still noticable. I also notice a slight high pitched ringing / whine at certain RPMs/speeds for a few moments. Once I gave it about 65% throttle in 2nd or 3rd and it jumped out of gear and revved up to 4 or 5 k for a few seconds before catching and re-engaging. I can just picture in my head the clutches not having enough line pressure to hold the gears.

Is it a pump issue?

The good news is that the tranny fluid does not smell burnt at all....?

All opinions welcome!