Stupid Tickets

weehousz

So here in the arm pit of the east coast, NJ, window tint is illegal on the front driver and passenger windows. Having said that, I have tint on my windows, nothing crazy just 20% and you can pretty much still see inside just less detail. Ive owned my SS since June last year and its had tint on it since the day I bought it. Last month I did some minor upgrades (smoked head and parking lights and a blue emblem on the front) Up until March 14th, no one bothered me about my tint. Then the wonderful bridge cops got a bug up their butts and decided to pull me over. Ok fine one ticket 54 bucks no big deal, not losing the tint. Then March 27th, pulled over again by the bridge cops for tint.

Now Im a law enforcement major and was trying to become a cop, however I have been swayed by other cops and the economy to pursue the private security industry, Thats besides the point. I have talked to several cops, both friends and some not friends, and they say that they wouldnt bother me about it, and that its not really that big of a deal + there really is no statute that they can write for window tint.

Just curious about the opinions of other people and what funny laws their state has that maybe they disagree with.

Side note: I wasnt driving like a you know what, he picked me out of a bunch of cars on a two lane road. I was actually doing the speed limit for once

Edited by josh03ss (see edit history)

I had a window tint ticket on one of my other cars, but I was orignally pulled over for speeding. Sold the car and was let out of the ticket so did not have to pay.

Did they say they pulled you over for tint specifically?

**** these laws and tickets that don't allow us to enjoy our vehicles. All the time, $ and heartache we spend to get them to the point we want and we have to drive around in fear of harassment and tickets. TOTAL B.S. I've met and spoke with many members here over the years and every single one is a stand up guy! I understand the law is to protect the officer for his safety and driver safety to be able to see clearly out the windows but c'mon. A cop should be able to tell and read one of us that we are good people, not criminals hiding weapons behind our tint and that any of us that have spent so much time and money are def gonna be driving safely to protect our trucks. SSS.com members should have a ticket pass lol :laugh:

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

I had a window tint ticket on one of my other cars, but I was orignally pulled over for speeding. Sold the car and was let out of the ticket so did not have to pay.

Did they say they pulled you over for tint specifically?

Yup, he actually didnt follow the typical cop way of doing things. Didnt introduce him self as an officer of the DRPA, no name nothing. Just came up and said I pulled you over for your window tint, you do know NJ only allows 70% tint on the front windows, then used his little tint gauge to measure mine, then asked for my info. Took it back and came back with a ticket. 39:3-75 so i looked it up, Improper safety glass. Researched it, safety glass is referring to the actual glass, not visibility through the glass.

Whatever it would cost more than the ticket to fight it so.

yeah we have a tint law also. i have personally never been bothered about it and i run 5% all the way around. we also have a front plate law. you must have a plate on the front of your vehicle. i just got nailed for not having on. kinda sucks he picked me out of a pack of cars. i told him the truck didnt come with a bracket to mount a plate and he said well you better get on. so i making some sort of a flip down bracket on a switch to lower when i want.

yeah we have a tint law also. i have personally never been bothered about it and i run 5% all the way around. we also have a front plate law. you must have a plate on the front of your vehicle. i just got nailed for not having on. kinda sucks he picked me out of a pack of cars. i told him the truck didnt come with a bracket to mount a plate and he said well you better get on. so i making some sort of a flip down bracket on a switch to lower when i want.

Haha you know whats funny. The second cop said some thing to me about my front tag not being on there and I said it didnt come with a plate mount and im not drilling holes in my bumper and he said well you better fix it. BOOM flip up plate. I only flip my plate up when im going over that bridge. haha

I have been pulled over for tint as well in a car i dont have anymore it was 20%. It was in pa though and he gave me a warning which basically gave me a pass on the tint til i could go back home i was going from md to norwalk ohio for a drag race.

I have been pulled over for tint as well in a car i dont have anymore it was 20%. It was in pa though and he gave me a warning which basically gave me a pass on the tint til i could go back home i was going from md to norwalk ohio for a drag race.

You race at Norwalk? I live about 25 min from there.

BTW Ohio sucks for alot of things, but we don't have a mandatory smog!

get ready the economy is going to dictate alot more of these type of fees...tolls...tax what ever you call it.

BUT aside from that, tint is an easy find and easy cure...get a doctor;s note if you can...if not, ditch the tint, will save you time and money...

I had 20% tint on all of the windows on my SS and never once got pulled over for illegal tint. IDK what it is about trucks but cops really seem to mess with them a lot less. I lived in PA and VA when I owned my truck and never had a single issue. I know plenty of people in VA that drive cars that have been hassled for 35%. Its like I said, I think trucks are kinda special.

I had 20% tint on all of the windows on my SS and never once got pulled over for illegal tint. IDK what it is about trucks but cops really seem to mess with them a lot less. I lived in PA and VA when I owned my truck and never had a single issue. I know plenty of people in VA that drive cars that have been hassled for 35%. Its like I said, I think trucks are kinda special.

This is 100% true. I can't tell you how many times I have been pulled over in my civic for dumb reasons. One of the best was, we ran your tag wrong and it came back stolen, or the time I was pulled over and wasn't even in my car for "racing" when I was inside a store buying chicken feed with an old man. I have never been pulled over in the SS, not even followed by a cop. Then again I think every cop drives a Silverado around here thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I here ya on the stupid laws. However there is a loop hole up here in VT, legend has it the reason tint is not allowed in VT is that back in like the '50's some crazy guy was running for Governor and completely covered his vehicle in bumper stickers, even the windows. The current Governor of the time had a law passed saying it was illegal to have "anything with adhesive backing" on the front driver and passenger windows. Soooo if you can get the tinted/smoked glass it would be legal...I am in the process of trying to find deep smoked glass for my two front windows. Im guessing it will probably be pretty expensive. However I have never been harassed about my tinted windows in any of my vehicles and my SSS is 5% all the way around...but I do know about 80% of the LEO's in my area and they know my truck as well which helps I'm sure, and when I do get pulled over I'm usually granted a "professional courtesy" due to my career.

You race at Norwalk? I live about 25 min from there.

BTW Ohio sucks for alot of things, but we don't have a mandatory smog!

Actually I was just riding up with a friend for an IHRA race and i have never been to a drag race when it rained so hard in my life but none the less it was a blast

Here is a couple stupid laws in Massachusetts ...

#1 - Adult or child not wearing seatbelt, $25.00 ... But not having your dog tied down to two points in the bed of your pickup truck $50.00. WTF ...

#2 - If you spit on the sidewalk and I do not know your Identity, it is an arrestable offense (by statute).

#3 - Burning library materials is arrestable by statute...

#4 - Cutting down a "Fruit producing tree" on a Sunday, is arrestable by statute ...