Turbo Or T-Trim Vortech

not saying it wont work in the cross over , for higher boost levels it works great because more flow is needed to spool the turbo , it comes a problem when lower boost levels are desired and cant let enough air bypass the turbo to minimze spooling.

it does work great and for the price , its very hard to beat. imo it would work great if it had the wg in the location art posted. imo

id like to see a side by side comparison with two turbo kits on the same vehicle/motor

one with kb's setup with the wg in the cross over and anoter with either manifolds or tubular headers with equal flow. i bet there isnt a huge difference but i will bet controlling boost at lower levels will be more difficult with the crossover mounted wg.

either way im really not knocking your kit as it has proven itself to be able to make power and run good ,however that was not the point.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not saying it wont work in the cross over , for higher boost levels it works great because more flow is needed to spool the turbo , it comes a problem when lower boost levels are desired and cant let enough air bypass the turbo to minimze spooling.

it does work great and for the price , its very hard to beat. imo it would work great if it had the wg in the location art posted. imo

id like to see a side by side comparison with two turbo kits on the same vehicle/motor

one with kb's setup with the wg in the cross over and anoter with either manifolds or tubular headers with equal flow. i bet there isnt a huge difference but i will bet controlling boost at lower levels will be more difficult with the crossover mounted wg.

either way im really not knocking your kit as it has proven itself to be able to make power and run good ,however that was not the point.

It's cool Chase. :) I'm just sayin, I've had setups running from 5-20+ psi on 4.8's to 408's and with the proper sized WG in the Xover it has maintained boost just fine. ;) Besides, who puts a turbo on to run low boosts??? :D

The only time I've ever had a problem with a WG in the Xover not controlling boost well is when I had the compound setup with a BW S475 turbo feeding a TVS1900 blower. The back pressure was so low that it wouldn't keep the boost under control even with a 50mm gate in the Xover. Moved it to just before the turbo like your suggesting STILL wouldn't control the boost (20 psi when I finally lifted on a 5psi spring, lol) had to add a second 38mm gate in the crossover along with the 50mm under the turbo to finally get enough flow through BOTH gates to keep the boost around 13psi. When I took the blower off and switch from the S475 with 1.32 a/r 96mm turbine to a S480 with a 1.10 a/r 83mm turbine, I had enough back presser to control the boost to 8-9 psi with JUST a 38mm gate in the Xover. I've been playing this game for a while, lol. ;)

thats very interesting. i really wanted to see that setup work with good results but as anything out of the box it takes alot of tinkering to get dialed .

but thats what great minds do , go outside the box . i have had some ideas of a few different turbo setup possibilities for the trucks but just need an extra guinea pig to play with . thinking something between a front mount and a rear mount aps similar.

• 2 weeks later...

CurtD did not build his turbo kit,a guy named Walker Morgan did and a friend of mine named Brett did the exhaust.I think Walkers website is www.morganperformance.com.You can buy a similar kit for around $4500 from him....

IMO,the hub bub about having equal length primarys on turbo app's is internet BS at its finest.Every factory turbo system I can think of has log type manifolds.A good example is the Buick GN's where the stock log manifolds are good to mid to low 10's in the 1/4 mile.When replaced with the aftermarket setups that are still log design manifolds,youre looking at 7 sec 1/4 mile capable!!

Then again,GN guys make well over 1100hp with 1 tiny 70mm turbo and all the LS guys scream its impossible!!If they can make a 3800lb GN with a 70mm turbo go 8's@150+mph,you know its making alot more hp than the turbo is rated!!!

Twin HTA 3586R's ball bearing turbos with a Tial turbine housing would be perfect. They are similar to what Chase is running but bigger with billet compressor wheel and a stainless steel turbine housing.

I have a guy near Superior that is going to be building me a twin top/front mount for a nnbs truck. He will also be making my setup if I don't sell my GT-76 turbos. My Trick kit was designed for a single but I have to turbos.