New Tires Or New Wheels?

smoothdime

So hears the deal. I just got moved up to Great Falls, MT and the first thing I noticed is that the roads are not very smooth up hear :banghead: Not so much pot holes but just uneven and rough surfaces. I currently have 22" replicas on with 305/40-22 Nitto 420's but they are starting to crack a little between the tread grooves and on the side wall. I also am going to need a better tire come this fall when it starts snowing again. With that being said I'm stuck as what to do. My brother has a set of 20" Budnik Fontana 6's that were polished but are beyond being able to bring the full shine back and I thought about grabbing them from him and powder coating them black and throwing on some 305/50-20 for a smoother ride and better options for all year weather tires. Or grabbing some stock SSS 20's black or chrome and the same 305's. My only concern is sticking with the chrome wheels and how they will fair through the winter months. I would prefer to only have one set of wheels and tires for the truck. What's your thoughts guys? :dunno:

Well the one good thing about Montana is that salt (magnesium chloride) is not used on the roads, so rust and pitting usually aren't an issue if you keep your wheels clean. A ton of dirt is usually used but the roads remain fairly icy. Being all wheel drive helps a ton, but nice street tires, although nice for dry and wet conditions, are minimal for ice and snow. I still have the Falken Ziex on my truck from all winter long and it faired really well, and when I finally muster enough money to do a wheel tire combo, I am really liking the Nitto's and expect them to do better than the Falken's by far. Just make sure you have enough tread. Siping really helps but doesn't look very good on street tires. But the chrome shouldn't be an issue here as long as you wash them off every few weeks.

well unfortunately tread depth isn't an issue, I still have probably 50% left. I did get the opportunity to test the nitto's in some snow. it was only and inch or two and the nitto's didn't do very well. I had a 2 hr drive on the highway and you could feel the front grabbing quite a bit pulling the truck from side to side. I really didn't feel safe at all. If I do go back to a 20" wheel I'll probably run the cooper discoverer ht plus. My brother worked for Big O Tire and said they were a really good tire.

Good call on picking up those wheels, as the skinnier the tire the better it fares in snow. I'm going to have the same dilemma this fall, I have 17" NNBS Steel wheels with dedicated snow tires but cannot run them anymore due to my BBK. So I am on the hunt for good snow tires to fit stock 20's. Anyone know what the skinniest tire I can mount on the stock 20's?

Well first off welcome to mt. I'm not sure about anywhere else in mt but butte throws the mag chloride down like its free. And it does ruin rims. I have seem many rims that are pitting and look like crap. I'm still running the stock tires on my truck and they did actually really well last winter.

Well first off welcome to mt. I'm not sure about anywhere else in mt but butte throws the mag chloride down like its free. And it does ruin rims. I have seem many rims that are pitting and look like crap. I'm still running the stock tires on my truck and they did actually really well last winter.

Actually Butte does not use Magnesium Chloride. Butte and the rest of Montana uses a non-corrosion inhibited rock salt (sodium chloride). The difference is that Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride are highly soluble in water compared to rock salt creating a "spray" of corrosion under the vehicle in a way that rock salt does not. Rock salt of course is still a corrosive material but is far less intrusive than that of the other options. I have yet to have any type of rust or pitting on my vehicles. Just need to keep them clean regardless.

I posted a link below for those in Montana to show the Montana Department of Transportation current practices of winter maintenance.

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/publications/docs/brochures/winter_maint/wintmaint_whitepaper.pdf

just picked these up for $250 so atleast I'll have some rollers if I decide to replace the 22's

Those are the same wheels I've been using for several winters, they're holding up really well.

wheels_w-caps.jpg