Fuel System Build

idahoBLKss

going with a dual aeromotive 340 in-tank set up. still working on the wiring stuff as of right now but i will have this in and functioning in the next couple weeks depending on the wiring . as most of you guys know im running e85 which is fine for cruising but at wot im losing a crap ton of psi at the rails so i figured i would nip this in the butt and do it right so i wont have to do this again. from the info i have gathered this set up should be good for at least 700hp on e85 and 1000hp on gas which is perfect for the goals i have in mind for my truck. still waiting for 2 more boxes to show (should be here tomorrow) but this is what i have now ...

2011-05-12_18-56-31_605.jpg

misc. fittings , inline fuel filter , ls1 fuel rails ...

so my plan is to do both of the pumps up to a -6 push lock fitting into a Y fitting that converts the -6 into a -8 out up to the top of the tank.cardboard represents the top of the tank and there will be another pump on the other side of the Y where the push lock fitting is...

2011-05-12_19-49-19_125.jpg

from ther i have aeroquip hose that feeds into a 40 micron in line filter from there the -8 line feeds in to the driver side fuel rail looping around to the front side of the passenger fuel rail and out of the back of the rail into a regulator and out to a -6 fuel line back to the tank.

what do you guys think? does that sound like a solid plan ?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know my answer!

Waiting on a few details for mine and it's on.

I dont have access to my desktop computer which has the wiring setup for the dual pumps right now. Hopefully tomm I can help you out with that part.

Looks good.

Did you happen to talk to aeromotive about using E85 with "Push Lock" tubing and any compatibility issues? I know some people have issues with it and others do not. Wondering what they would say. Also are the fittings aluminum? They may have a concern with them as well. I personally have no experience with the E85 compatibility on either component but do hear a lot of people bickering back and forth about it.

Looks good Jon boy. Check out my build and the fuel rail brakets Dan made for my setup w/ those same rails. Worked out great.

Yeah I wish he would have gave us some measurements it would save me a ton of time... lol

AAAHHHHH I see now - did not register with me you were building a fuel system to run E85... 1/2" fuel line = MANLY!

Mr. P. :)

Heck yeah!!

Looks good.

Did you happen to talk to aeromotive about using E85 with "Push Lock" tubing and any compatibility issues? I know some people have issues with it and others do not. Wondering what they would say. Also are the fittings aluminum? They may have a concern with them as well. I personally have no experience with the E85 compatibility on either component but do hear a lot of people bickering back and forth about it.

Honestly kevin there isn't a whole lot of people running the fuel on these forms so its hard to get facts about it from people on the forums, like you said you got to take what you hear on here with a grain of salt . it also seems like every search i do on google or what ever search engine you use is biased one way or another or its from the early 90's or so. so that leads me to talk to people locally that have been running it. So the guy that talked me into running the fuel has 3 trucks one being a h2 running on e98 for the last 5 years another 2009 rcsb running on e98 since he bought it brand new (sema truck for vortechs new top mount 2years ago, and had a huge write up in one of the truck magazine) and his 3rd truck 2005 crew cab that is on e85 for the last 5 years or so has never had any issues what so ever conserning the fuel system. No leaking no corrosion of fuel fittings or any thing like that and all of the trucks have stock fuel systems as far as the lines and fittings (up graded pumps and injectors on the two trucks of course). Both trucks are super charged one a v3 and he other one has the vts vortech top mount. He has never had any problems.

The second guy I have talk to about it is jake Montgomery if you utube his name you'll see he is no joke and he knows his stuff about e85 tuning. He has logged thousands of hours on a dyno and on the track test and tuning this stuff and he swears by it and again has never had any problems with the fuel you could probably talk hours to this guy about tuning since your very knowledgeable about tuning. So all in all kevin I guess ill find out for myself but I much rather take advice from people that have used both fuels pump/race/and ethonol fuels first hand then from a web page that u don't know who wrote . I've been running the fuel for about a year now and haven't had any problems most fuel has 10% ethonol in it anyway but from what I've seen first hand in my truck ,the lean numbers I've seen on my wide band a still have my motor running im sold. But i will find out for my self... lol.

As soon as I get this fuel system done ill be giving you a call to help me figure out my tuning for sure!!

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

I got all of my fittings from frozenboost.com,because they offered the teflon coated fuel lines that you need for E85 and all the compatible fittings,and from what I have seen the prices are VERY competitive! Best of luck on your fuel system,I will be subscribing.

• 2 weeks later...

Lil up date this is the regulator and pressure gauge ill be running.... 2011-05-25_21-00-06_168.jpg

Still waiting on the wiring would be here wary next week the its game on fellas!!

I am getting ready to do a new fuel system and i am watching your build pretty close. Remind me what intake manifold you are running? Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks expensive!!!lol

Have you considered running both pumps full time??

Personally,I would run a -10 feed and a -8 return with both pumps running FULL TIME.

I have seen way to many Grand Nationals lose engines from the second pump failing to come on.

Lets say you have a 650rwhp truck and you run 1 pump full time and the 2nd on a hobbs switch to come on at 7#-8# of boost.If that 2nd pump fails to come on,do you think you can let off the gas quick enough???

If you have your truck tuned running both pumps full time,you will be able to tell immediately if one craps out.

JMHO

Looks expensive!!!lol

Personally,I would run a -10 feed and a -8 return with both pumps running FULL TIME.

I have seen way to many Grand Nationals lose engines from the second pump failing to come on.

Lets say you have a 650rwhp truck and you run 1 pump full time and the 2nd on a hobbs switch to come on at 7#-8# of boost.If that 2nd pump fails to come on,do you think you can let off the gas quick enough???

If you have your truck tuned running both pumps full time,you will be able to tell immediately if one craps out.

JMHO

Either way you are in the same predicament... its a risk taken when multiple pumps are ran regardless of a hobbs switch or not.

<br />Jst using the stock truck intake.<br />

Do you think there is any truth to the stock intake contributing to the #7 cylinder failure during boost? I've been reading alot of old posts, and there is alot of people that never have had a problem and a lot that have. I'm concidering a Vic jr or super victor intakes. Any thoughts?

Do you think there is any truth to the stock intake contributing to the #7 cylinder failure during boost? I've been reading alot of old posts, and there is alot of people that never have had a problem and a lot that have. I'm concidering a Vic jr or super victor intakes. Any thoughts?

There is a debate on this issue. I personally think that it's a cooling issue to the #7-8 pistons. These cylinders run hotter, and are more prone to detonation than the other 6. Could the intake help or hinder this issue? It can have a negative effect for sure as the airflow travels to the rear of the intake the less dense air should be more prone to those cylinders and with heated cylinders that aren't controlled individually with fuel the effects can be a lean condition. Readings from the o2 sensors are an average of 4 cylinders on each bank. One can be lean, and the others can be rich. The computer controlled correction is for the +/- of the averages. This could be mean that the #7-8 cylinders are running lean, but the other cylinders are stoich or rich. The computer adds more fuel to get the average to stoich or takes away fuel. I am going to try the Kurt Urban Water Vapor system out and see if it helps the rear cylinder temps. Also this is what I think may be the cause of the "#7". Do I or have I experienced this problem.... NO and hopefully never will. I do want to take precaustions on not having this issue too. So in my theory, it comes down to cylinder temp being higher than the others causing pre-detonation, or detonation from unburnt gasses, and or a lean mixture due to the lack of cooling. Theory it is due to the fact that no one has came up with conclusive evidence on why this happens.

Again my .02 here.

Looks expensive!!!lol

JMHO

I think chp has a point... if it fails its going to fail and honestly I've been boosting 9lbs for the last year while I've been chasing this problem hitting afrs of 16+ and haven't blown anything up yet so im not to worried about a pump failing at this point. Im pretty confident in the e85 fuel after all of this its kinda like a majic fuel in a scents and you would be saying this if you seen what I have seen this last year while running this fuel. If it does happen the ohh well $hit happens it will give me an excuse to build a 408... ;-)

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)