Comp Cam

Their is a cam f/s that I am interested in, I am not too brilliant with the engine internals and modification so I am asking for some help from the engine gurus on the site.

My main question is will I need a new TC to handle this bad boy, or is this ok to run on my stock setup? Anything else I will need to run this, or is it ok to just take out the stocker and drop this in and go raise the devil:coold: :peelout:

Thank you in advance.

Specs: comp cams lsk lobe spec'd by richard @ wcch

223/227 .636/.639 112

I am not a guru by any means, but here are my feelings.....

I hope you are planning on doing heads with the cam mentioned, I believe that is way too much lift for stock heads/rockers to handle, someone correct me if I am wrong. You will most definitely need a TC also, as the stock one will not keep you anywhere close to the power band of that cam. Plan on beefing the trans up with a shift kit/servos/larger cooler at a very minimum also......

I am not so sure that cam is daily driver friendly either.....

What are your goals for the truck Andrew?

My truck is completely 100% stock in the engine bay, drivetrain and exhaust.

My goals, I am having a hard time deciding. I want more power obviously but want it to be a friendly daily driver, so this cam will not work. I eventually want 400-500hp at the wheels (not crankshaft) N/A.

I think I will most likely stick to bolt-ons right now, and when I am done with that, step up to a camshaft. I want to get my feet wet with new mods, however looks like I am jumping in the deep end with having to replace heads, rockers etc.

Thank you guys, you answered my questions very quickly and I consider the both of you 2 guru's in my book.

:pepsicheer::chevrolet:

edit-What would be a friendly daily driver cam for a truck with only bolt-ons only? I see the 220 and 228R on alot of youtube videos and the trucks have basic bolt-ons.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

At the very least you will need to upgrade the following items to run the cam: Injectors, pushrods, springs, rockers, headers, CAI. The trans will eventually give which is why you should keep the stock TC in just in case its not in your current budget to build the trans at the same time.

My truck is completely 100% stock in the engine bay, drivetrain and exhaust.

My goals, I am having a hard time deciding. I want more power obviously but want it to be a friendly daily driver, so this cam will not work. I eventually want 400-500hp at the wheels (not crankshaft) N/A.

I think I will most likely stick to bolt-ons right now, and when I am done with that, step up to a camshaft. I want to get my feet wet with new mods, however looks like I am jumping in the deep end with having to replace heads, rockers etc.

Thank you guys, you answered my questions very quickly and I consider the both of you 2 guru's in my book.

:pepsicheer::chevrolet:

edit-What would be a friendly daily driver cam for a truck with only bolt-ons only? I see the 220 and 228R on alot of youtube videos and the trucks have basic bolt-ons.

You can daily drive that cam just fine. The TC is going to be the big factor on DD. I run the 228R cam with full bolt ons just fine. I ran (DD) it with a 3000 and a 4000 stall torque converter. So it is possible just depends on what you consider DD friendly.

Thank you Art and Dan. I can best explain it this way, this truck is the most powerfull vehicle I have owned yet, I need to be carefull if I put a new TC on (dont want to rear end a vehicle just yet). I will stick with my plans of this: ARH LT headers w/ cats, borla xr-1 or corsa touring, and dry enclosed cai intake w/ volant scoop. I will collect these first then go in the deep end.

Definitely wanna do some other small supporting mods before jumping into a heads/cam swap. Like the rest said, your trans will be the weakest link and will need to be beefed up or replaced by a fully built unit when you get out of the basic bolt ons range. Id say get your CAI, full exhaust, tuning and tranny work done first then start looking into cams. Even if you just work the stock 317 heads a little bit with porting they should work well with a cam swap of that size. As for the converter I'm running a TCS 3000 in my truck as a daily driver and its very streetable, and for 125 you can upgrade your tranny cooler to a tru cool and keep the temps low. If you want to avoid doing heads along with the cam you could possibly look into ordering a cam cut on different lobes to keep the lift under .600, such as the Comp XE or XER instead of the LSK. You can take my advice how you'd like because I am by no means a cam or motor guru at all, this is just all info that I have gained from people around here with much more first hand experience than myself. Happy modding! :cheers:

I am not a guru by any means, but here are my feelings.....

I hope you are planning on doing heads with the cam mentioned, I believe that is way too much lift for stock heads/rockers to handle, someone correct me if I am wrong.

The factory rockers will be fine with that cam. If anyone is ever that worried about it they can do the trunion upgrade.

thst can be run with stock heads without any issues. In fact you could even mill down the 317s a hair and be fine. Will it be optimal... no.. also you wouldn't need a huge converter... 3000 converter would run really nice. Also do you know what the ICL is? Also remember that cam was cut for L92 heads... at least from the specs that are posted it looks like that is what it was cut for. You would be better off doing the small stuff before diving into internals. There are many people on the forums that will tell you all different kinds of advice based on what they have run.... remember you are not asking people that have actually designed canshafts or people that have had a lot of hands on with multiple set ups...at least not many of the forum members here have ( I can think of maybe 15 max). hopefully those folks will chime in also. I'm not trying to tell the others posting here that they are wrong or full of BS.

My advise.

do all your small bolt ons

the transmission doesn't have to be re-built if it isn't broken. this is a huge issue with people on forums. there are several trucks out there running high 12s with a shift kit and a cooler and have over 100K on them and don't miss a beat.

when you are ready you need to talk to people that understand what you are after and understand how the LS engines work to get your cam specifications. Always remember that a lot of choices will work, but not all of them are anywhere near max effort. Just because the round peg fits doesn't mean that a different round peg doesnt fit better.

Also the maintenance and wear of the valvetrain can be an issue. Spring pressure on that cam will put alot of stress on the valves and lifters. Let alone the springs will be more prone to breaking and that means more problems.

A cam with that much lift needs to breathe alot. Both intake and exhaust is a must. And if you do get a cam with that much lift you would prob have a live tune to get that to idle.

Thank you Danny, Zachm89, and Sinr98. All this info is being processed and read over multiple times as Im not the best with internals, just bolt-ons.

I do agree with the transmission, mine seems to be solid and had been absolutley flawless when i stored the truck back in 2008 before multiple surgeries. A shift kit and tranny cooler have been on my mind, just not needed yet.

Let me start collecting my bolt-ons and I will take it from their. Thank you all for chiming in, it is very informative and I have learned knowledge. I cant wait to get into this down the line and suprise some locals.

:chevrolet::peelout: