Launching!

ssbullet

How is everyone launching at the strip? I have been launching from a load of 1500-2200 rpm. With full volant cai an dual magnaflow mufflers. Quickest 60ft I've gotten is 2.1 seconds and 9.5@1/8th 12.19 @1000ft. I've heard that off idle isn't bad either but haven't tried it yet.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had it in 1st and went threw em at 5 so it would shift bout 5800-6k.

Dont manually shift gears. Thats the point of an "automatic" transmission. Launch in 3 and let it do its thing

i never understood why people manually shift an automatic transmission dunno.gif

on a side note, ur sig is WAY too big

Because manually putting the shift selector into 1st gear on these trucks will make the PCM also engage the overrun clutch pack in addition to the low/reverse clutch pack, technically adding more holding power. But if you saw how eeenie-weeenie the overruns are, it's not assisting a whole lot. If you do want to drive this way, you put the selector into 1st gear, then launch, and half-way through 1st gear bump the selector into 3rd to complete your run. But that will only work in a truck where you have lots of time in first gear, if you are running any kind of serious forced induction or nitrous you will be banging off the rev limiter long before you get the shifter into 3rd.

Mr. P.

Because manually putting the shift selector into 1st gear on these trucks will make the PCM also engage the overrun clutch pack in addition to the low/reverse clutch pack, technically adding more holding power. But if you saw how eeenie-weeenie the overruns are, it's not assisting a whole lot. If you do want to drive this way, you put the selector into 1st gear, then launch, and half-way through 1st gear bump the selector into 3rd to complete your run. But that will only work in a truck where you have lots of time in first gear, if you are running any kind of serious forced induction or nitrous you will be banging off the rev limiter long before you get the shifter into 3rd.

Mr. P.

...........so essentially just start out in 3rd and be done

on a stock set up, and depending on your moded set up, i found that launching off idle gets the best 60 foot. If you come off idle you give the converter a run at it's stall speed actually making it stall slightly higher and getting you closer to your power band faster. For example, on my old converter my flash was 3800 on a brake stall, but was 4000 just coming off idle.

Get the truck tuned so when you leave it 3rd it will shift automatically at the rpm point you are trying to target by shifting manually

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

on a stock set up, and depending on your moded set up, i found that launching off idle gets the best 60 foot...

:withstupid: Usually nailing it just off idle works best for me too, the most I might rev the motor to is about 1200-rpm :dunno: With an auto trans, the launch is completely dictated by the behavior of your converter, which in-turn is dictated by the torque curve of the motor and converter innards (stall speed, stall ratio, flash speed, etc).

Mr. P.