Launching!

ssbullet

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

best for me has been to just bring it off an idle...so 1000 to 1200 which flashs the converter perfect. and right as the second yellow light comes on STICK IT!!..lol that will get your reaction times down..if you see green..YOUR WAYYY LATE!!..keep working on it untill u get a red light then you know your close

i also leave in 3rd gear..but my understand was it would also make sure never shift in to overdrive..so i guess i learned something new

my Personal Best 60ft is a 1.67 on street tires..i belive some guys have gone faster..but i just have a cheap converter and REAL street tires not drag radials or slicks..so im happy with that

Learn something new everyday! My neighbor who was treasurer of the corvette club in new england told me to try it in 3rd also. He also was not a fan of overdrive, kills our trannys.

Sy/Ty shuffle here, Best used on turbo'ed vehicles.

Step one; put trans in neutral, Step Two; give two quick revs while firmly planting your foot on the brakes. If this step is done properly, the brake peddle will move further down giving you more brake clamping power. Step Three, after the motor has rev'ed down, put trans back into 3rd. Do not let go of brakes until you are ready to launch. Step Four; start giving the truck gas until the revs go up. normally they will go up to the torque convertors rated stall speed. At this point you should be making some if not full boost. Be careful as it is easy to creep past the brakes. Bring up your boost to the maximum you can with out moving forward. Hold it, then let go of the brakes and mash it, and while you are at it hold on for the ride.

Its long to explain but short in practice, when all said and done, it will look like this.....

http://www.streetfire.net/video/sss-sts-in-cab-launch_120578.htm

http://www.streetfire.net/video/silverado-ss-3600-launch_119684.htm

why do you shift an automatic trans manually? dunno.gif

depending where i am i usually launch from an idle since i have a stall it flashes pretty nicely. if i stall it up i usually stall it around 2000 and not much higher i guess you can say i got a better 60' stalling it up but other than that it doesnt do much for my e/t

Make sure you launch with the gear selector on 3 not D. Easier on the input sprag in the transmission.

So just leave it in 3rd all the way? Dose stock or modded matter or dose 3rd work all the time?

• 3 weeks later...

Well i tried it friday putting it in 3rd, tow haul button and stalled to around 2k.

Atleast i know i run consistant 9.9-9.8 in the 1/8 :nono: best 60' is 2.36 i need slicks haha, Im alittle disappointed seeing how that other guy is running 9.5 whit less mods i guess the 22's are killing me and the hot weather aint helping.

Going to give it another go again this comming friday acouple diffrent ways, first straight off idel then ima stall it up alittle 1-1.2k and see what happens.

Also i wanted to ask once i let off i press the tow haul button again and shift it to D, is that bad? or should i do that once im slowed down? I ask because i dont want to keep doing the samething if its going to hurt something.

Edited by NTMD8R_SS (see edit history)

Well i tried it friday putting it in 3rd, tow haul button and stalled to around 2k.

Atleast i know i run consistant 9.9-9.8 in the 1/8 :nono: best 60' is 2.36 i need slicks haha, Im alittle disappointed seeing how that other guy is running 9.5 whit less mods i guess the 22's are killing me and the hot weather aint helping.

Going to give it another go again this comming friday acouple diffrent ways, first straight off idel then ima stall it up alittle 1-1.2k and see what happens.

Also i wanted to ask once i let off i press the tow haul button again and shift it to D, is that bad? or should i do that once im slowed down? I ask because i dont want to keep doing the samething if its going to hurt something.

With the factory transmission tune/calibration, the tow/haul button will slow down the truck a lot - it "feels" stronger but runs slower because the shift points are lower (the T/H button will 'short-shift' the trans).

And yes heavy aftermarket 22's can slow down your 60-ft times a friggin ton - see if you can find a $100 set of 17" rims/tires from a regular Silverado for comparison.

Mr. P. :)