Damper Destroyed Crankshaft-Help!

RembaSS 1SG

I haven't been on the threads lately since I bought a 2002 Torch Red Z06 from Lethal up in DFW. Dealing with minor corvette issues as well, at least it work and is a beast! Anyway, the truck has been running really well but was having a hell of a time with a squeaking belt. Nearly continuous. Checked pulley alignment, etc. A few weeks back I was seeing a film of unknown crap coating the inside of my engine compartment. Did not think anything of it as long as it wasn't the supercharger head unit. Today as I was thinking about our trip this weekend to San Antonio, Texas (about 180 miles south of here) I heard a god awful vibration and immediately lost steering and AC. Come to think of it I was having speedometer issues about the last week as well. Very sporadic fluctuations in speed. Pulled over and opened the hood and the AC belts had come off. It had never seen this before so I was like WTFO? I was only a few miles from home so I started it back up with the sole intent to get it home. It started to vibrate and on a hunch opened the hood and the ATI Super Street Damper was wobbling horribly. Had it towed to a performance shop (that actually works on Vettes, BMWs, and Mercedes-but they did not hold it against me). The mechanic nearly hand screwed off the damper. I thought well at least I found it in the nick of time and then Mechanic broke my heart right before a long weekend and said the Damper ruined the end of the crankshaft something about the keyway being grinded away. Hence all the crap in the engine compartment. So the Damper is dead as is the crankshaft. At least this mechanics has some of the lowest labor rates in town and only works on nice cars.

So a few questions for your guys.

1) Should the Damper have ever come loose? Unsure how I will approach Sunshine Performance here in Killeen, TX if they f'ed it up.

2) Mechanic mentioned it would be less expensive to find a used small block with lower miles then to put a brand new crankshaft on an SCd engine with 64k miles on it. I have found many used 6.0 around here with unknown mileage for around 250-475. However, it's hard for me to trust an engine I have never seen before. I do trust this one, although I have screwed her up for time to time.

3) Since crankshafts are not to expensive and the engine has to come out anyway, would now be the time to throw a performance crankshaft, cam, heads, and headers on it? Even though it has 64k on her?

I have thanked many on here in the past for their awesome advice and now is no different. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

To find a low mileage 6.0 would be sweet or if you got the coin rebuild yours to a forged 370 or even a 408 then you will know that all is well and you will have a peice of mind its all brand new and ready for some boost.

personally id just rebuild whats in there. put a new crank in it and maybe do a custom set of rods and pistons. at that point you would be able to throw a little more boost at it and still be safe.

its hard to say if they messed up putting on the damper. but no it shouldn't come loose if installed properly. but i have seen a few stock ones come loose and tear up a crank. last week i found my stock damper bolt to be loose.

The crank has no keyway on it. It is a press on style in which the crank bolt being torqued to the correct specs keeps it on the crank which has a slight taper to it.

That is the reason guys with FI pin their crank. It is in a sense a keyway.

IF the snout of the crank is chewed up you will prob need a new crank or whatever you plan to do with it. If it has small marks that can be lightly sanded out, it will be ok. Get a ARP crank bolt, and get a crank pinning kit too if you do reuse this crank. Actually pin the crank no matter what. $60 is cheap insurance.

[Thanks to all for the advice. I have done quite a bit of study and realize this happens more on smaller imports than bigger trucks. You all at least gave me the background to make a more sound decision for the mechanic. The Damper was not pinned but will be in the future and the snout was worn completely smooth. If I change out the crank I will probably go for new pistons, rods, cam, etc. Might have to wait on headers because this work looks like it will set me back a few thousand. Unfortunately I cannot find a low mileage 6.0 in central Texas I will keep looking. Thank you all.

Oh and from a Veteran have a great Memorial Day.