Nhra - Firejacket Required

misterp

So this weekend at KCIR, at tech inspection I was told that I would not be allowed to run my truck because I do not have a fire-retardant jacket. According to the tech official, NHRA requires that any vehicle with aftermarket forced-induction or nitrous *must* be driven wearing a helmet and fire jacket, no exceptions.

:ughdance::banghead::mad:

Mr. P.

never knew that.

A lot of us did not know that - many of us were told this, and of course we were scrambling for a few minutes to arrange sharing of jackets. :(

Of course in the end it did not matter, the track day was a rain-out - but if the weather was nice, most of us would have been up a creek without a jacket.

I'm so glad the local track down here is IHRA.

Mr. P.

Lucky for me I had a factory installed magnacharger

Exactly. There is a loophole if the FI is factory installed. :takealook: However you also must be over a certain ET and MPH IIRC (13.99?).

They started enforcing this rule in 2007 but it was in the 2006 rulebook I believe. All drivers need a SNELL 2000+ rating on their helmet and a single layer fire jacket (SFI 3.2A/1, Nomex etc.) for any aftermarket power adder and a stock, unmodified firewall. The higher rating jacket 3.2A/5 and gloves with a rating of SFI 3.3/1 are required if you have modified the firewall in anyway.

Again, this only applies to the guys running 10.00 to 13.99. If you are in the 14's with the blower, you are in the clear.

... If you are in the 14's with the blower, you are in the clear.

...and drive a heavy-assed truck! :laugh:

Mr. P. :)

I think he was talking to you Steve

:noway: Now that's just hateful. This truck will be fast someday!! It's a work-in-progress! :unsure:

I didn't need a jacket or any after market parts, I roll bone stock with my Zippy tune and still beat the boys!

:rolleyes: Yeah yeah - I am woman, hear me roar.... :jester:

:noway: Now that's just hateful. This truck will be fast someday!! It's a work-in-progress! :unsure:

LOL! Steve, these guys are brutal! In no way was my comment hinting that your truck was "slow". I admire your progress and choice of power adder and agree it will be among the quickest around!