Service Air Bag Light On

96vteccd5

Good evening. So yesterday I went to get into my truck and I noticed that the service air bag light popped up out of nowhere. The truck has been sitting for the past 4 days relaxing from a car show where I had no issues or lights that came on. I already did some Google searches and I am trying to rule out as much as possible.

Ø I have disconnected the negative battery terminal for 15 mins and went back and the light came on.

Ø I sat the passenger seat to see if the ON star light would come on for the passenger air bag and that did so I think that side is ok.

Ø I moved the seat up and noticed that there was a connection behind the seat. Disconnected and reconnected it and the service light is still on.

Are there any other suggestions or places I can look to try and fix this before having to take this in. Thanks for the help fellas.

drivers side is easy. take a straight pick and insert through wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock positions. poke straight in while pulling very gently towards you on the bag itself (same side you are working on) wires are color coded and self explanatory

drivers side is easy. take a straight pick and insert through wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock positions. poke straight in while pulling very gently towards you on the bag itself (same side you are working on) wires are color coded and self explanatory

So disconnect battery and air bags fuses also?

If you are gonna do anything with the airbags, disconnect the battery and let it sit for at least 1 hour before beginning work, the air bag mnodule takes time to de-energize. Also verify that there are not any accessories plugged into the cigarette lighter like a cell phone or I-pod.....

Have you scanned it for codes at all? Could be something as simple as a faulty impact sensor behind the front bumper......

The air bag system (SIR) is a separate system from the rest of the on board diagnostic system, I think pin 13 on the obd2 connector.

The only way that I know of to pull codes is with a tech II or a diagnostic scanner that can read the SIR system.

Know anyone with a tech II?

Had this issue on my 06. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it. Problem the service manager stated was that starting in 05 or 06(cant remember for sure) that GM switched style on the connectors and to fix it they replace it with the old style.

Had my light on. Scanned it. faulty sensor. Got one from a junk yard cheap, installed it. Problem gone. It had corrosion in it. (yes I tore it apart to inspect the sensor.) hehe.

This is what is inside them.

24d7e340.jpg

Had my light on. Scanned it. faulty sensor. Got one from a junk yard cheap, installed it. Problem gone. It had corrosion in it. (yes I tore it apart to inspect the sensor.) hehe.

Did you scan with a tech 2? I scaned mine with an obd2 scanner and got no codes??