My Mule Project

zippy

Right now my compression is about 12.2:1. I'd like to bring it to 12.7:1. I am running E85, but it is designed to be run on both. With a #7 heat range plug and good tuning you can run 12.5:1 compression without problems on 91-94 octane.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This thing to drive is just amazing. The torque down low is just rediculous. On the dyno without the converer locked it spikes the torque reading to 480+ ever pass. Once I get the time to finish it I'll post up some dyno numbers. For the average guy I have no idea why someone would do a blower. This short block in an SSS with a converter, headers, good intake, 90mm or larger throttle body, exhaust, etc would have no problem running 12's and still drive around more civilized than stock with as good or better milage. As anyone will tell you an n/a motor dialed in and built correctly should be dead reliable without the worries that come with a boosted motor. Even more if you do it yourself it can be done for less than the cost of a blower. One of the things I hope people learn from this build is that a 408 is a reasonable price upgrade that doesn't need everything bolted to it at one time. Most have this picture in their mind that if they build a 408 it needs to have the best heads, intake, headers, etc, etc, etc. Build the shortblock even if you don't have the money for the the heads and other fancy crap. You can swap heads, cams, exhaust, transmissions, etc. in a weekend but you need the good shortblock to bolt it to. A truck like the Silverado SS or in this case a Tahoe is a vehicle with more weight than a 6.0L should have to push around (or in the cas of the Tahoe it came with a 5.3L). Having the 6.7L it pushes this much weight around like it's nothing even with the tall gear and stock converter. I've driven many vehicles with 402's, 403's, 408's, 416's, 427's, etc and they all make whatever they are in feel lightweight thanks to their 4" stroke.

This has got my attention, can finally quit starving myself