Water/Methanol Injection

so i am looking into the snow performance 20012 meth injection kit stage 2 MAF. i have a few questions about this set up

wat can i expect for power gains?

how much more timing can i run?

will i need another custom tune to get more timing and the most ouot of the kit?

is it safe? and is the safe injection add on worth it if i am going to be meticulously keeping it topped up?

is it hard on catylitic converters?

*biggest concern i live in norther canada and will this kit work in -35degree celsius temps with -40degre celsius washer fluid?

i am only going to run the tune for 100-102 octane but say i have a pluged line will my computer in my truck automatically pull timing if it starts to knock? or am i going to grenade my motor?

also anyone on here running one and if so pros/cons and experience.

sorry for the questions wanna know wat im getting into before i buy

thanks all

logan

I have the system on my truck w/the safe injection. I can't answer as to the amount of HP gain or timing that will be increased because I didn't do my tune, but i do know that its a quite noticable difference. You will need another custom tune to get any gains out of it. It's extremely safe with a good tune especially if you are fore inducted, it will acutally be safer than not having it due to the lower IAT's wich will help prevent detonation. I have the safe injection just in case I were to run out of fluid while driving or if something in the system were to fail, ie pump, as it will automatically trigger the solenoid and bleed off excess boost. From what I have read you there are gains to be had if you are naturally aspirated, but not as large as the gains from force inducted engines. Great customer service at snow if you run in to any problems during install or problems. I had a sticking low level sensor and they sent me a new one so i wouldn't have any downtime while sending the defective one back.

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I will spend the money for the safe injection just to be on the safe side. I guess meth is one of those things to not cheap out on. I'm going to call them today to find out about cold weather temps and if its going to burn out the cats

No supercharger or boost. Naturallu aspirated. Just wanting to run a race gas qualitry tune. 100-105 octane. Think it'll be worth it?

Without giving my long winded reasoning, short answer...waste of time performance wise for a stock compression N/A LQ9 that is already optimized on timing. All in my opinion of course. :pepsicheer:

EDIT: For the same cost of the Meth kit, a set of pacesetter headers will yield more gains. Again, in my opinion only.

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

Im also looking at getting a meth/water injection....My list of mods are in my sig. I have a question. I don't want to spray all the time and only want spray at certain rpms like when I stomp on it and the tq converter kicks at 3000 and spraying between 3000-4000rpms. So my question is do I need a new tune for meth/water. I don't really want a high octane tune since most my driving is just cruising and occasionally clearing the pipesrolleyes.gif. Race fuel is hard to find and expensive so I don't want a high octane tune all the time and I don't want it spraying all the time either while running on just premium fuel, only when I stomp on it and bring to the track is when i want the high octane.... I don't plan on running any more boost than my 3" pulley. Just want the higher octane and cooling at higher rpms. Also my heads are milled so my compression is higher than stock so the higher octane would be nice. I really don't want to wreck anything.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I just don't know much about alternative fuels...

Also how safe is this and will it make a big difference for my setup in my sig..... thanks

Im also looking at getting a meth/water injection....My list of mods are in my sig. I have a question. I don't want to spray all the time and only want spray at certain rpms like when I stomp on it and the tq converter kicks at 3000 and spraying between 3000-4000rpms. So my question is do I need a new tune for meth/water. I don't really want a high octane tune since most my driving is just cruising and occasionally clearing the pipesrolleyes.gif. Race fuel is hard to find and expensive so I don't want a high octane tune all the time and I don't want it spraying all the time either while running on just premium fuel, only when I stomp on it and bring to the track is when i want the high octane.... I don't plan on running any more boost than my 3" pulley. Just want the higher octane and cooling at higher rpms. Also my heads are milled so my compression is higher than stock so the higher octane would be nice. I really don't want to wreck anything.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I just don't know much about alternative fuels...

Also how safe is this and will it make a big difference for my setup in my sig..... thanks

On a NA aplication you will not gain very much but since you are blown you can definitely take advantage of it. Most meth kits come with some sort of hobbs switch that will activate the spray only at 0 vacuum or at 1, 2, 3 etc PSI. That way it will not be used during normal driving.

On a NA aplication you will not gain very much but since you are blown you can definitely take advantage of it. Most meth kits come with some sort of hobbs switch that will activate the spray only at 0 vacuum or at 1, 2, 3 etc PSI. That way it will not be used during normal driving.

Do you know if I need additional tuning to run a switch at 2-3 pounds of boost or rpm switch engagement at 3000-4000 only. I just want to make sure. I can always ask my tuner too.

Do you know if I need additional tuning to run a switch at 2-3 pounds of boost or rpm switch engagement at 3000-4000 only. I just want to make sure. I can always ask my tuner too.

Yes, methanol injection requires tuning as you now will be spraying extra fuel on top of your commanded Pe. Without tuning you will be running rich and depending on meth concentration more than likely will hurt performance.

I reiterate, spraying meth on a naturally aspirated stock compression LQ9 is not a very good choice for performance gains...boosted engines is a different story though.

I reiterate, spraying meth on a naturally aspirated stock compression LQ9 is not a very good choice for performance gains...boosted engines is a different story though.

Good thing I'm supercharged and have higher compression due to milled heads so I guess the methanol is a go for me as long as the gains are fairly significant. LOL Thanks for the info...:pepsicheer:

• 2 weeks later...