Trans Help! No 3Rd After Build.....

Well recently i smoked my trans so i took it to a local builder. Long story short i got it back, installed everything along with a circle d 2600--2800, had it tuned, drove it 75ish miles and now she won't shift into 3rd. I also installed a new shift cable, but anywho when driving it shifts into 2nd and then when it goes for 3rd the motor just revs. Any ideas before i take it over to the guy who built it and tell him to shove it? Thanks in advance guys!

Edited by kbuchner (see edit history)

Well recently i smoked my trans so i took it to a local builder. Long story short i got it back, installed everything along with a circle d 2600--2800, had it tuned, drove it 75ish miles and now she won't shift into 3rd. I also installed a new shift cable, but anywho when driving it shifts into 2nd and then when it goes for 3rd the motor just revs. Any ideas before i take it over to the guy who built it and tell him to shove it? Thanks in advance guys!

Couple different things could be causing this.

Low pressure. which would require you to put a gauge on the transmission and record what it is actually doing

Or the builder didn't pay close enough attention to the clearance in the 3/4 clutches and the clearances are too loose and caused the clutches to basically smoke or fried all the friction material off of them.

Bad news about this is the converter will have to be cut and cleaned by circle D.

Im hoping after the first failure you flushed the lines and both coolers before installing the rebuilt unit. Did you R & I the trans or did the builder?? As Dan said there are many variables to this equation.........

I flushed the trans cooler before installing the rebuilt trans. The guy who built it is very knowledgeable and has owned the same trans shop for 30 years. It has all hd parts including kelvar bands, hd servos, a shift kit, ect. in it and he said there should be NO WAY i was going to break it even after adding a cam and such. I made an appointment to take it over to the guy tommorow and i guess we will see what he says. Its just really weird, there was nothing out of the ordinary with the way it shifted until i hoped on the local highway after putting about 75 miles on it. Trans temp was right at 150 per usual when it didnt go into 3rd. What would cause low pressure? Possibly in the tune? Mr. Wheatley said he returned to line pressure somewhere close to stock when he re-tuned for my t.c.

I flushed the trans cooler before installing the rebuilt trans. The guy who built it is very knowledgeable and has owned the same trans shop for 30 years. It has all hd parts including kelvar bands, hd servos, a shift kit, ect. in it and he said there should be NO WAY i was going to break it even after adding a cam and such. I made an appointment to take it over to the guy tommorow and i guess we will see what he says. Its just really weird, there was nothing out of the ordinary with the way it shifted until i hoped on the local highway after putting about 75 miles on it. Trans temp was right at 150 per usual when it didnt go into 3rd. What would cause low pressure? Possibly in the tune? Mr. Wheatley said he returned to line pressure somewhere close to stock when he re-tuned for my t.c.

Update....... Charlie has looked over my tune file and everything seems to be in check. Looks like my trans is getting ripped apart again?

saying no way to breaking a 60E is ignorent. There are so many variables inside a transmission you cant ever put a life expectancy on one. 60E's are junk and arent designed to take abuse. Specially from a heavy ass truck such as ours. Trust me, I built mine with every performance part you can put inside and I broke mine tonight. Part of it dude......

I understand that everything is breakable and 60e's should have never even been put in our trucks...but with just some bolt-ons, a "built" unit shouldn't tear up in under 100 miles. I'm beginning to think that something wasn't assembled within spec.

You have so much to learn about transmission builders. The last great trans builder in wisconsin died about 7 years ago.

You have so much to learn about transmission builders. The last great trans builder in wisconsin died about 7 years ago.

Transmission builders seem like a very hit or miss thing. I guess i missed. The guy who put mine together has done several transmissions for some other guys i know who have had no problems, so i thought id give him a shot. For future reference, is there anyone in the midwest that can put a good one together?

Edited by kbuchner (see edit history)

Yes and their name is FLT but before you call them make sure you have a jar of vaseline because their shit isn't cheap.

2BFAST is right no matter who builds your transmission they are weak. We put every damn performance part made for the 60E and he exploded it tonight, but he is also making 14PSI and hit it with a little nitrous...

what is the name of the shop that built your transmission? chances are I know them. My entire family is in that business and they all came from Wisconsin. Damn cheese heads :banghead:

I don't see anything wrong with the 60/65/70E line up. In a completely stock truck I've seen them go well over 100k without an issue. I've seen stock 65E's with nothing more than a shift kit hold up to constant abuse and over 100 track passes. I've also seen many guys go to 80E's and end up pulling them back out within 10k for problems. The Chevy High Performance Silverado SS test truck had over 200 passes on it by the time they were done with it and not one trans failure. That had a shift kit, servo's, and Vigilante only for 130 or so of those passes and alot of street abuse. After that just for the sake of another upgrade the clutches and band were changed only. After that another 100 passes or so and it held up fine. Vdrumright on here made it past 100k with his stock 65E having ran many mid 12 second passes and when he finally had it freshened up after the converter clutch gave up he was around 120k with something like 95k of that being supercharged. Holty last I knew was still on his stock trans with a shift kit only well into the low 12's and many passes. This board and PT.net is full of 60/65/70E record holders. My 60E in my Tahoe I just went through had almost 200k on the clock and looked all original. I've ran that with my modded 6.0L in there since I bought it including towing heavy a couple times through mountains and I have no use for torque management. My 06' has only a stock 60E with servo's in it and has made many track passes, street racing runs, burnout, etc. and at 60k it's still just fine. Programming, part selection, install, and driving style are the killer of a 60/65/70.

If you're looking for good builders, there a a few, but not alot. Rossler and FLT are big names, but they earned them. Part selections aside even, their transmissions just hold up to alot of abuse. They cost more, but it's like a good tuner, you pay more to not have to do it again.

Glad to see you're getting it rebuilt and don't have to shell out more cash. That's more money for other mods.

Zippy does have a point. I and most haven't had good luck with the 4l60, but I have seen them hold up a good amount of power and abuse in other vehicles. Even the 80e's break, and they are pricier when built, not to mention the extra work, time, and money it takes to do the swap.