Running Hot?

Hey guys, lately, starting about last week my Silvy has been running hot. When on the freeway or doing abround 65 it stays at 210, but in the city it goes up to the next line(3/4 of the gauge). So I'm tryin to figure out what it could be... Should I have the coolant flushed and changed or? Any help would be appreciated, and any more info needed lemme know! Thanks guys.

Brandon

i did check the coolant level, looks fine. I'm thinking the thermostat, would it have anything to do with my heater not blowing hot, then randomly going to the correct temp?

i did check the coolant level, looks fine. I'm thinking the thermostat, would it have anything to do with my heater not blowing hot, then randomly going to the correct temp?

First thing is first, your heater has nothing to do with the cooling system on your truck. After you check the coolant level, are there any leaks on the gound or does it leak at all while running? Do you know if the cooling fans are coming on at all? Usually you can hear them kick on after the truck reaches just over the temperature the thermostat is supposed to open. When it does get up to 186* (the temp the thermostat opens) feel that upper radiator hose, does it feel warm or cool? If it's cool, that's a good indication the thermostat isn't working properly. Start answering these questions and you should find your answer. I hope this helps!

my guess would be your fan clutch is shot ...

:withstupid:

210 at freeway speeds is not unusual in the summer months; when the temp goes up at slow speeds either the radiator is not getting enough airflow from the fan, or the owner switched coolant from orange DexCool to green antifreeze without a block flush and the resulting gel obstructs water flow through the motor. If you had a bad thermostat or low coolant or plugged radiator then the problem would be worse at high speed/load, and in your case this is not the situation.

Get a new fan clutch. Flush and refill the cooling system with orange Dex-Cool while you are at it.

Mr. P.

:withstupid:

210 at freeway speeds is not unusual in the summer months; when the temp goes up at slow speeds either the radiator is not getting enough airflow from the fan, or the owner switched coolant from orange DexCool to green antifreeze without a block flush and the resulting gel obstructs water flow through the motor. If you had a bad thermostat or low coolant or plugged radiator then the problem would be worse at high speed/load, and in your case this is not the situation.

Get a new fan clutch. Flush and refill the cooling system with orange Dex-Cool while you are at it.

Mr. P.

FYI to get specific some green antifreeze will mix with all coolants. Also if someone did in fact do that it actually has a chemical reaction and gels all of the coolant...it will cause a engine failure not just slight overheating.

FYI to get specific some green antifreeze will mix with all coolants. Also if someone did in fact do that it actually has a chemical reaction and gels all of the coolant...it will cause a engine failure not just slight overheating.

Our mutual Firebird-owning friend did this just 2-weekends ago (he called me at the time because the car was running at 245) - the motor acted just like the OP's vehicle and while it did suffer sever overheating it did not kill the engine, it was saved with a professional flush & refill and has been back on the road since.

Mr. P.

Our mutual Firebird-owning friend did this just 2-weekends ago (he called me at the time because the car was running at 245) - the motor acted just like the OP's vehicle and while it did suffer sever overheating it did not kill the engine, it was saved with a professional flush & refill and has been back on the road since.

Mr. P.

Yes because he caught it right away after he had only started it for a few minutes.... now had he driven it around like that it would have completely failed. I have seen this many times. In fact my old Tahoe was subject to this days after I sold it because the idiot thought he needed to change the coolant because it was orange with rust..... :banghead:

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

Hey guys, lately, starting about last week my Silvy has been running hot. When on the freeway or doing abround 65 it stays at 210, but in the city it goes up to the next line(3/4 of the gauge). So I'm tryin to figure out what it could be... Should I have the coolant flushed and changed or? Any help would be appreciated, and any more info needed lemme know! Thanks guys.

Brandon

it happened to me i had 2 cracked heads something there known for