Making Progress

detjoe

oh and Joe i signed up for the Greg banish advanced gm class. There is a class in S. IL on sept. 10th. Its a 8 hour drive for me so its going to be a little more for you, but if you had a desire to take it, it would be great to meet you.

Man, I wish I could go. I would love to sit through that class. :thumbs:

Joe, try this config when messing with timing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a long drive for you Kevin, but there are still class spots. Very cool if the three of us could take it, not good odds, but cool thought.

He does have the 2nd dvd out now. advanced tuning. I got that one as well so i could be more prepared for his class, the virtual ve stuff is over my head right now, but i still find myself wanted more of the tweaky stuff in the tune. Like throttle cracker, overspeed and under speed, how to set idle timing, how to set base air, stuff like that. But maybe the class will cover it.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

I was reading that the cracker is not active untill you use the rolling idle, that is new in the beta...so alot of guys have been fighting with these tables only to find out they are not active untill you have made the changes in the rolling stuff.

thanks guys.

On the Greg class....it would be nice, but its too costly...and I would rather chip in to fly Mike out :)

I have two unsupported parameters in the config Kevin posted.

under delivered engine torque and on the right under trans input shaft RPM...are those PID I need to enter???

any tips for using this?? Should I watch the torque or the load??

In the one log I saw 400ftlbs of tq at max....next run it only made it up to 390's

Joe,

I am sorry, do not use that configuration as it will give poor results. I just went through my files of configs and saw that one and posted it (never even opened it up). Can't even remember where I got it from! :shakehead: Anyway, delivered torque is a calculated number...there are too many variables to use it as a gauge for HP...like using a yard stick to measure rice.

Advancing timing to the point of KR is not the ideal method to find max HP. My 408 performs the same at 24* as it does with 29* with no KR (confirmed at the track several times). The obvious best way to dial in timing advance for HP is on a loaded dyno...one cell at a time. But since most do not have access to one, I use acceleration over time on a fixed course for WOT timing (logged MPH vs time). Since we have AWD, tire spin is usually minimal which takes another variable out. I also do 2nd gear pulls on the same road with the converter locked to add load to the engine.

I also like to look at MAF / MAP readings against RPM to gauge the amount of air I process in a given area. The more air I process, in theory, the more power.

With EFI it should be as follow, this will be similar in HPT.

Engine > Idle > Engine Speed Compensation and Engine Speed Compensation Multiplier...

For the A/C

Engine > Idle > A/C > A/C airflow ramp in/A/C Torque loss IAT and such.

TQ MAGT>Engine>AC compressor TQ vs IAT

- - - - - - 90 111 113 154 176 198

1.992 1.992 1.992 1.992 9.492 11.992 15.000 18.008 20.000 21.992 25.000 32.500 35.996 38.008 39.004 40.000

how would you modify these values? the value w temps above are the ones I would need to change since they would be the one that would matter....any hotter or colder and you will not be running the AC.

should I select the one I want to raise, and then multiply them by like 10%? or should I find the difference between them and add a certain amount?

I find my self thinking back to math class and different equations represent different curves, and looking at these HPT tables I try to remember the equation and add values that come from that generic eq. I am not polished enough to argue it or anything but I know random is really hard, and most times there can be some math behind things (the golden ratio blows my mind!!)

So if I take my data and put it into excell I can generate functions...technology is amzing...trendline. sorry I am typing this post and playing with HPT and Excell :)

gonna post this....but I put a second order polynomial trandline in and my guess for how to move it is a little better

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

My IAT adder table is not helping, pulling 3deg at 90. SO at running temp that table is pulling timing, should I zero it or move it over to what I see on HPT.com with it zeroed between 77 and 113?

You need to monitor KR, then start lowering that value by small increments. If no KR continue lowering until the point of diminishing returns. This is the correct way of doing so...

From the efi class that I took, iat needs to be extremely high in order to cause detonation. I.e. 200+ degrees so, zeroing out that table at those values should not be a problem. However, always tune on the safe side not the extreme.

sent from my thunderbolt

I am going to use an IAT adder table that looks like a zo6 one. It will not remove any timing until intake temps is 113 and it will add timing when the temp is 32.

I am also not going to add any timing. I think the table I have is good, it was just getting alot of timing pulled. I think I could have kept adding and I would never have seen it bc it was getting pulled right back out.

here is the tune I am at and my logs...I stalled it up a bit and it did not seem to like it, got knock. the other ones I could not get on it so I rolled into the WOT and it did not knock. Gotta hit the track...

wont let me upload this other log, says its too big ???

timing1actqincrease.hpt

tuesdaywot.hpl

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

that tune also has some added TQ for the AC, it also changed one value in the accessory torque table too (dont know why but one cell changed color)

I am still getting some rpm drop when I come to a stop :( FK

so I am thinking its the over/under speed. its funny it does not do it all the time. I feel like its some type of delay thats getting hit, and then it searches for the idle. Like if I am moving from stop to stop, as if I am the third car waiting at a stop sign to go thru. By the time I am the car at the stop sign the truck willl search for the idle. SO each time I give it light throttle and then come to a stop it counts it and then the next time it triggers the correction routine and three levels of recover till its back to the commanded idle.

this sucks. I am still getting suring.

I have:

matched the timing tables across the high, low and idle.

added tq to the ac table

I dont think its a mechanical issue b/c it will idle good and only does the surging sometimes.

Can I do away with overspeed? and only have the underspeed give a spark correction?? I am tired of this...progress I felt I made may be none.

and my buddy is waiting on his Ctsv wagon...