Making Progress

detjoe

Joe,

one thing i would just check out is your VE at idle. The 400 rpm area is higher then the 800 rpm in some areas and should not be. There also appears to be a large step in the numbers going from 800 to 1200 to 1600. When your at idle and at op temp use the live tables to command rpm at 1200 and 800 rpm and set your ve to be right on your wideband. Then when 800 is right i command 600 rpm and any difference in wideband gets adjusted in the 400 rpm colume.

Your idle is pretty low, maybe idle higher and see if things smooth out

At least at 200 ECT i'm showing your base air to be a little off. Can you do a log from a cold start to warm in Park and another from cold to OP temp while your in gear and not moving at all?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did a cold start in Gear last night.

will post the log but only got values from 111 degrees to 196

I don't get it my truck will only warm up to like high 180's, and I don't see the fan kick on?? on the controls it would turn green if its commanded on?? or do I need to click it to red so it will not come on?

I am going to throw that in the Baseairflow and she if I can tell if its a change.

when you do the lower RPMS at you stopped/at idle or are you getting that error while driving?? sounds like you do this sitting lite the idle logging.

I do have the config with idle adapt(STIT).

I found a spread sheet on HPT with the value for the scalar....unfortunately its not what you posted :)

I really like these statements about hard set points....a lot of tuning is knowing what these need to be set at, not guessing. and I know when I am guessing :) if the scanner gives me the valuers I am not guessing.

will try to get that log up.

here is the from cold in gear

and the config

from that I put it into the tune and extrapolated the values that were colder and smotthed the hotter values.

Did you already adjust this tune, the short term trims are a mile off when warming up.

What injectors are you running? 42 marine?

my trims are off, if you look in the log those histos are empty.

Yes, 42 marines, I know, I need better values for these....frustrating, but I might just have to get 60's and some pump and play e85/FI

with what I did yesterday logging the cold start P and Gear, and putting that in the Baseair flow with the new scalar, the truck was running a lot better, I think it only stalled once, I was happy with it.

I will need to turn the trims back on and tune from there, but am lost. kind of happy that I feel like I am making progress with it in SD

If I wanted to get a time what tuning suggestions do you use at the track?

I am happy with my VE table, so I am guessing my fuel is in line and my PE value got me the AFR that was commanded. So What type of tunes do you throw in at the track? what type of changes?

Is there any safety parts of my tune that are deactivated for tuning?? should I lower my PE to less %TPS? Do I need to mess with my knock settings?

I was looking thru stuff yesterday and was wondering if my idle logs are worng b/c I dont have the idle adapts all set to zero...

i just matched all the timing tables and that helped, alot. I think the rest can be fixxed with the over/under speed settings.

its funny how some times I hate the tuning and then some times i am like this is GREAT!

• 2 weeks later...

here is a log with a WOT. about 1000 frames in.

I am only commanding 27 at WOT. no knock and my PE is dead on for what its calling for its getting

Brad, Renaldo, Kevin... could you look this over one time as I am going to start throwing some more timing in the WOT sections.

I am posting my latest tune with 2' added to the arears where I logged in the run. I am going to try to get a few more logs this week and keep adding timing...

the config is already posted

another thing, how do I add air or what ever for helping my AC turning on, when I turn it on, it creates surging. more so at idle, but I can feel it when I am coasting.

timing1.hpt

pizza2wot.hpl

here is a log with a WOT. about 1000 frames in.

I am only commanding 27 at WOT. no knock and my PE is dead on for what its calling for its getting

Brad, Renaldo, Kevin... could you look this over one time as I am going to start throwing some more timing in the WOT sections.

I am posting my latest tune with 2' added to the arears where I logged in the run. I am going to try to get a few more logs this week and keep adding timing...

the config is already posted

another thing, how do I add air or what ever for helping my AC turning on, when I turn it on, it creates surging. more so at idle, but I can feel it when I am coasting.

HMMM, I can't open the files, I don't have a current version of HPT but here is my take on WOT timing. First off, you are going to need a way of monitoring what added timing is doing in your set up. Here is where a dyno come into play as the butt-o-meter is not sensitive enough to see if your added timing is helping or not. You can very well hit your point of diminishing returns and not even be aware of it. Also do not rely on your knock sensors, Knock sensors are there to prevent Knock, not to tell one when they are hitting max power. One tool that I have that helps me with WOT timing with out a dyno is a custom PID. basically what you want to do is create a PID that logs your rate of ACCELARATION, if your rate of acceleration goes up, timing is working, if it stays the same then you have reached your optimum timing. IF it goes down, then timing is not helping. Basically its a way of comparing different setups, like on a dyno with out the dyno.

HMMM, I can't open the files, I don't have a current version of HPT but here is my take on WOT timing. First off, you are going to need a way of monitoring what added timing is doing in your set up. Here is where a dyno come into play as the butt-o-meter is not sensitive enough to see if your added timing is helping or not. You can very well hit your point of diminishing returns and not even be aware of it. Also do not rely on your knock sensors, Knock sensors are there to prevent Knock, not to tell one when they are hitting max power. One tool that I have that helps me with WOT timing with out a dyno is a custom PID. basically what you want to do is create a PID that logs your rate of ACCELARATION, if your rate of acceleration goes up, timing is working, if it stays the same then you have reached your optimum timing. IF it goes down, then timing is not helping. Basically its a way of comparing different setups, like on a dyno with out the dyno.

Thats a cool idea, what do you use for the pid, what vs what?

Joe I'm the least knowledgeable of them all, but i don't understand the dip you have in the curve. From what i understand, to maintain the correct combustion point in the cylinder you have to increase the timing advance as you increase rpm. As the piston comes up faster you need to start the spark event faster untill you reach no gain or KR. Maybe the guys can set me straight if im wrong.

I would even out the dip you have in the WOT area and end around 30 degrees in the rpm close to your shift points. I'm only guessing your going to top out at 30 degrees, maybe the guys will give their take.

here is the tune i ran 12.4 on, there are some problems with this tune as its one i did not zippy so only pay attention to the low octane. My VE table also appears to be off based on a bad fuel pressure gage. It still comes out to the correct afr, but zippy called bs on the numbers i had to use to hit that afr...and then he called bs on most of it.....lol, guess we have to learn some how

by the way i use 2 decimal points when i look at the timing, if you change your view to that you'll see more of the changes

final dyno tune_504RWHP_street settings_no 3rd lock.hpt

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Thats a cool idea, what do you use for the pid, what vs what?

Joe I'm the least knowledgeable of them all, but i don't understand the dip you have in the curve. From what i understand, to maintain the correct combustion point in the cylinder you have to increase the timing advance as you increase rpm. As the piston comes up faster you need to start the spark event faster untill you reach no gain or KR. Maybe the guys can set me straight if im wrong.

I would even out the dip you have in the WOT area and end around 30 degrees in the rpm close to your shift points. I'm only guessing your going to top out at 30 degrees, maybe the guys will give their take.

here is the tune i ran 12.4 on, there are some problems with this tune as its one i did not zippy so only pay attention to the low octane. My VE table also appears to be off based on a bad fuel pressure gage. It still comes out to the correct afr, but zippy called bs on the numbers i had to use to hit that afr...and then he called bs on most of it.....lol, guess we have to learn some how

by the way i use 2 decimal points when i look at the timing, if you change your view to that you'll see more of the changes

PM'd