Front Differential Whine Help!

Okay, I officially have the front differential whine that I have heard so much about. My truck is an 03 SS with 81K miles on it. I have read a lot and asked a lot of opinions on rebuilding it. I want to open it up here and hopefully get some good advice.

Should I rebuild the one that I have? If so, who would you all suggest I get to do the work? Local would be nice, around west TN, but would consider shipping it to someone skilled at rebuilding these.

Can one be salvaged from a 4-wheel drive truck and just swap out the ring and pinion?

Is there a disadvantage to just rebuiling the one I have. I have heard some people say that if I rebuild the one I have, it will soon start whining again. I am not driving the truck hard or abusing it. Just a weekend cruiser.

I have heard people say that the best thing is to get a Jasper unit, but it would run 1800 to 2000 dollars.

I am just trying to figure out my best plan of attack? Any of you out there had successful rebuilds and lasted extended amounts of time and miles?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Marty W

most times the carrier bearings were the issue. most have just replaced them with good luck. find a good shop that can rebuild front/rear diff.. after my fix i have put 59K and no issues. Jasper may be good but over priced IMO..

good luck

I fear I am too starting to hear the whine from the front and have a clicking from the rear. I also need brakes on all 4 corners and will soon need 4 new tires. I'm finding myself walking the trade it or fix it line right now...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got about 83K on mine and I just started hearing what sounds more like a loud persistent squeak. Have not heard any grinding our growl type sounds like other threads have described, but more of the whine / squeak. Sometimes it does not start until I get above 25 mph. When I jack it up and rotate wheels, there is no looseness or noise or clunking sounds - everything sounds fine. But at speed the right front sounds almost like a brake squeak on steroids. Does this description sound familiar to you guys? Any new advice from those who have dealt with this issue?

Well, I have been dalaying my front diff rebuild for a while now. I have my guys lined up to do it when I am ready, but figured I would put it off for as long as I can. A fellow member was messaging me and had a similar problem, but his ended up being a wheel bearing. So, I decided to drain my front diff oil to see what it looked like. It was a silvery mess. It was completely full of silver metallic flakes and the magnetic drain plug was covered in clumps of metal shavings. I screwed my drain plug in about 10 times and got more and more shavings out. I was hoping for the best but found the worst. Oh well, guess at least I know for sure now.

On a side note, my ABS has started to "shutter" during normal stopping from low speeds. From what I have read on here, sounds like my speed sensors in my front hub assemblies are giving me problems. When it rains, it pours! Frome the prices of the speed sensors, I would be better off to just replace the entire hub assemblies. What do you all think? :banghead: