Ugh Finally!

06SilvySS

I've wanted one of these damn trucks since 03 but was never able to afford one. I am currently in Afghanistan and we are about to leave so ive been looking around the internet for an SS. I came across one and my folks are gonna go check it out and hopefully buy it today. dbanana.gif

Its a 2006 SS

Silver Birch Metallic

Bone stock

70,000 miles

Unfortunately I won't be able to see it until October cryin.gif

Im not a vehicle expert at all so if anyone can tell me specifics on what im getting, that would be great!

When purchased I will post pictures

Personally, I would buy a AWD one. After owning something AWD, 2wd is just useless. You can do a much better burnout with a 2wd but with the AWD you just point the steering wheel wherever you want to go and hit the gas, as hard as you want, in any weather condition and the truck just goes there. No spinning, sliding, chattering, or fussing, it just goes! Its awesome in the rain and probably even better in the snow although my truck will probably never see the snow as long as I own it.

If I were to do it all again, I would look for a 05 with AWD and a Sunroof. A 05 will also have E-fans and you can get it in Arrival Blue!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the SS Silverado but about half way through 05 GM started making some changes to the trucks. They began taking away standard features to make the truck cheaper and got rid of Arrival Blue and introduced Silver Birch Metallic.

03-04 SSS were pretty much all the same with the exception of color choices. Only options were Onstar/XM and upgraded Bose stereo over the standard Bose stereo.

05 was a funny year. Same colors as 03-04 and a sunroof was available. About 05.5 Chevy dropped the AWD and went to a 2wd configuration. the 14bolt rear with drum brakes and 3.73 gears replaced the 10bolt rear with disk brakes that was used in the awd version with 4.10 gears. Leather captain chairs became a option. A cloth bench was now standard. Digital climate control was a option where analog controls became standard. Onstar/XM/upgraded Bose was still a option. Chrome wheels replaced the painted silver ones.

06 was a 2wd only configuration. 06 was also when the SS intimidator was introduced.

Hopefully I didn't screw any of this info up as I am just going off the top of my head.

If your going to be out of the country until October then your not really in a rush, wait for the right truck, with the right miles for the right price. I would never buy a vehicle without seeing it first for myself. My parents are not the best with vehicles, if it started up they would probably say it was a good buy. I would have to see it myself, that way if it ends up being a problem or bad deal or whatever, I have nobody to blame but myself.

Edited by 90zxdriver (see edit history)

Personally, I would buy a AWD one. After owning something AWD, 2wd is just useless. You can do a much better burnout with a 2wd but with the AWD you just point the steering wheel wherever you want to go and hit the gas, as hard as you want, in any weather condition and the truck just goes there. No spinning, sliding, chattering, or fussing, it just goes! Its awesome in the rain and probably even better in the snow although my truck will probably never see the snow as long as I own it.

If I were to do it all again, I would look for a 05 with AWD and a Sunroof. A 05 will also have E-fans and you can get it in Arrival Blue!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the SS Silverado but about half way through 05 GM started making some changes to the trucks. They began taking away standard features to make the truck cheaper and got rid of Arrival Blue and introduced Silver Birch Metallic.

03-04 SSS were pretty much all the same with the exception of color choices. Only options were Onstar/XM and upgraded Bose stereo over the standard Bose stereo.

05 was a funny year. Same colors as 03-04 and a sunroof was available. About 05.5 Chevy dropped the AWD and went to a 2wd configuration. the 14bolt rear with drum brakes and 3.73 gears replaced the 10bolt rear with disk brakes that was used in the awd version with 4.10 gears. Leather captain chairs became a option. A cloth bench was now standard. Digital climate control was a option where analog controls became standard. Onstar/XM/upgraded Bose was still a option. Chrome wheels replaced the painted silver ones.

06 was a 2wd only configuration. 06 was also when the SS intimidator was introduced.

Hopefully I didn't screw any of this info up as I am just going off the top of my head.

If your going to be out of the country until October then your not really in a rush, wait for the right truck, with the right miles for the right price. I would never buy a vehicle without seeing it first for myself. My parents are not the best with vehicles, if it started up they would probably say it was a good buy. I would have to see it myself, that way if it ends up being a problem or bad deal or whatever, I have nobody to blame but myself.

Unfortunately arrival blue production stopped in 04 and was replaced with silver birch metallic for the years after starting in 05.

So basically in 2006 they were just tryin to cut the costs? This one has the leather seats, sunroof, digital climate controls which im guessing was all of the top end choices of that year? I will be back in cali in august and thinking about shipping it out there or flying home and driving it back for when Im in cali.

I dont think the AWD will really affect me that much, i live in Houston where it never snows. It would be more like a weekend truck if anything because when Im not in the military I drive around a company vehicle at work at home during the weeks.

I love the front end on the 06's, they have a bigger bulkier look which i really like.

1BAD2K, you have an 06, are you pretty happy with it?

I wont be racing this truck, ive just been a huge fan of chevys and their SS's since I can remember

Hey man, I'm from Houston originally and visit often. You and I know it rains there like a motha, with that said it is nice to not have to worry about getting around in an AWD SSS. As far as beign in cali, well the weather is great but the AWD is just an option. You really don't need it , but I'm with 90ZXDriver, It's better to have it and not need it then the other way around. Oh and yes it seemed that towards the last year of the SSS's production, chevy cut options to possibly sell a bit more trucks. However, thats just my opinion. One thing I will advise you to do above all else, make sure it is the truck YOU want... Dont let anyone talk you out of anything, unless its a bad vehicle or deal. That way you are content with your choice and plus there is a HUGE aftermarket out there for trucks. Houston, Texas, and Cali are of those huge hubs for truck customazation. Just out of curiosity, where are you stationed?

Don't forget to plan out into the future a bit, these trucks can be addictive and you might want to make it fast & then the AWD might be something you wish you had. Just a thought, but as the others have said make sure it is what you want before you buy.......I went through many trucks to finally get my SSS and Duramax CC. Good luck with your search.

Thanks everyone for the help. Im actually a reservist but i will be in pendleton for a while till I go back home.

I should find out in a couple hours if I get it or not. Ill keep everyone updated

Don't forget that the SS was also produced in 2007 as a "classic" truck. Basically, it's the same as the 06, it's just the 2007 before the new body style was put into production. So, you do have options and don't rush. These trucks are great, but they are expensive.

I have a 05 2WD and have had absolutly no problems at all with anything. It will loose traction but I have to get on it for it too. Mine has traction control so when its wet out you have a back up but like I have said I have had no issues with my 2WD.

For some reason some people thing that AWD hung the moon and that there is nothing out there better than that, well thats just ppl being ignorant in my opinion. Cant buy a ss camaro in AWD or a Vette in AWD and you sure wouldnt be running a 2500HD in 4WD the entire time so its basically matter of personal oppinion.

Good luck and keep us posted Silver birch is the best color

Yeah I agree with you McMahan. Its all personal preference. Iv e never owned an AWD vehicle and i have done just fine. Im sure it's an awesome thing to have but that definitely won't be a deal breaker when I buy.

the silver birch is my favorite color. Not too flashy or anything, just a good solid look to it.

I checked my insurance rates and its not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Im pretty relieved about that one thumb.gif