Charcoal Grilling

SS Silv

Just recently purchased a Weber charcoal grill, and I haven't touched my gas grill since. I really wish I would have discovered this amazing method of grilling sooner. The food taste sooo much better and the finished results are more rewarding. It does take some patience and practice but it's so worth it. I bought the natural lump charcoal that the Green Egg makes exclusively for their ceramic cooker but their charcoal works perfectly in the Weber. I like it because there are no fillers and it's really easy to light and it gets up to heat quicker than regular briquets. I've been messing around with different wood chips as a smoke source. The other night I made a Ribeye steak smoked with mesquite chips, it was amazing.

I know charcoal has been around for ages but its a new experience for me.

Maybe post up some of your recipe's/techniques.

Glad to see you back!!!

My mother and grandmother were personal best friends with Julia Child, they would go to her house in Cambrdige,MA and cook a damn storm up. My mom also toured Italy with Mary Ann Esposito.

I will ask her for some recipes for ya, anything certain you like? My mom wont even let me in her kitchen, it makes Emeralds kitchen look like Toys R Us.

Edit - Hows the heated floors? And your garage doing?

Edit #2 - I will try to get a recipe for lamb tips and kabobs or prime rib

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

I've never used a gas grill in my life.

Boneless chicken breast

Get some commercial garlic & herb marinade or make your own with Italian dressing and McCormick's Montreal chicken seasoning. Pierce the meat all over with a fork. Place in ziplock bag with the marinade for about 24 hours. Grill over your charcoal, no wood chips or bbq sauce required.

Hickory chips do pork really well, mesquite for most chicken. I also like just a tiny amount of mesquite smoke with a good strip steak. In every case, I soak wood chips at least 24 hours.

I haven't used charcoal in years ... It is just more convienent using Gas ... but recently, I have thought of getting a Weber Charcoal grill ...

I must say, the Green Egg looks cool, and do want to try one, one of these days.

That being said, I am getting extremely spoiled with my Smoker ... I love the results of slow cooking. Even if it turns out bad, at least he beers you drank leading up to it, were worth the wait ... :thumbs:

Lump charcoal is the best. It burns longer and tastes better then Kingsford or any of those brands. I get Royal Oaks lump charcoal at Menards and the price is reseonable. We cook out every weekend in the hood.

I haven't used charcoal in years ... It is just more convienent using Gas ... but recently, I have thought of getting a Weber Charcoal grill ...

I must say, the Green Egg looks cool, and do want to try one, one of these days.

That being said, I am getting extremely spoiled with my Smoker ... I love the results of slow cooking. Even if it turns out bad, at least he beers you drank leading up to it, were worth the wait ... :thumbs:

That's next on the list, a smoker.

What are you using Shaun?

My favorite on the big green egg.... large ribeye cut into about 5 strips. Coat in a coffee, sea salt, pepper, sugar, other spices rub. Sit out on a plate at room temp for a couple of hours. Heat up the egg to about 700 degrees. Toss that shit on for about 3 minutes, flip and cook 3 more minutes. Take it off and let it sit for about 5 min if you can stand the wait.

takealook.gif

Edited by Gasemall (see edit history)