Tire Size Question

ThatTallCanadian

So I recently just bought 24" Boss 330 rims, I have already picked up a used set of 315/35/R24 (two of them) so I've been looking for another 2 tires.

I was just told today that if I was to run a different size in the front such as 305/35 or 295/35 it would be incredibly hard on my transfer case since its full time AWD. Is there any truth to this? And if thats the case do I need to find another used set of 315/35 or will brand new ones be fine? due to tread wear? The used ones I have look like they're in really good condition lots of tread left.

Edited by ThatTallCanadian (see edit history)

Like he said u can run your 315's in the back and run a narrower tire in the front just make sure the overall circumferance is the same. We have a few guys with the srt8 jeeps and they run a 315 in the back and a 285 up front

so as long as both tires are XXX/35/R24 it shouldn't be a matter? That would leave it as same rolling diameter and just ahve the front tires 10mm smaller (width wise)? Only reason I'm trying to avoid 4 new tires is to save some money, going back to college and it's gonna be rough maybe haha. I'm trying to find some deals, so far best I've found is 4 new 305/40/r24 for 900 ish.

no, if you change the width, you would have to change the aspect ratio too.

http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html

you can plug the two sizes your looking at into this calculator and see how close they are

Doesn't have 24" rim size avail :(

it could be done but it wouldnt be pretty.

i think you would be better off just sticking with the same size. if you can find some that are really close on wear that might work.

FWIW at the shop i work at we replace all 4 if its awd, were not allowed to do them unless its a complete set

• 2 weeks later...

So I recently just bought 24" Boss 330 rims, I have already picked up a used set of 315/35/R24 (two of them) so I've been looking for another 2 tires.

I was just told today that if I was to run a different size in the front such as 305/35 or 295/35 it would be incredibly hard on my transfer case since its full time AWD. Is there any truth to this? And if thats the case do I need to find another used set of 315/35 or will brand new ones be fine? due to tread wear? The used ones I have look like they're in really good condition lots of tread left.

HERE IS THE BEST TIRE CALCULATOR I HAVE FOUND ON THE WEB HOPEFULLY THIS WILL HELP YOU DETERMINE WHAT WILL WORK BEST FOR YOU!

http://www.discountt...nfoTireMath.dos

AND MY OPINION WOULD BE RUN THE SAME SIZE, SAME BRAND ON ALL FOUR RIMS THAT WAY THERE IS NO QUESTION, I HAVE AN 05 AWD SSS AND I RAN SAME SIZE AND DIFFERENT BRANDS FOR A WHILE AND WHEN I WENT TO REPLACE THEM WITH NEW I NOTICED EXTRA PLAY IN THE DRIVE TRAIN THAT WAS NOT THERE BEFORE.... NO MAJOR PROBLEMS OTHER THAN THE EXTRA PLAY, BUT JUST AS A PRECAUTION AT LEAST STICK TO THE SAME CIRCUMFERENCE.

Edited by CarterSS (see edit history)

since you are using the same size rims on all four corners. there is no combination that is within a 1/4" of the same overall height. the 315/35-24 are about 32.6" tall and 285/40-24 is almost 33" tall and 285/35-24 is only 31.8" tall. i think most guys on here running 24's run a tire close to a 305/35-22. hope this helps.