Powder Coat Or Paint?

Ok so i have a 5 piece billet grill now but i've had some people saying powder coat them and i have others saying you should paint them. I know quite a few guys on here have done both. My question is which is better and what have you guys had luck with?? I will be having a body shop paint the grill if i decide to go that way so it will be cleared.

PC it!

Powder coat if done right can look as good if not better than paint. You can also have the PC cleared with a clear powder for more depth. You can wet sand and polish the powder coating as you would with paint also. Not to mention that it will have alot higher resistance to stone chips that with paint will chip and need to be fixed. Especially since the area on the grill is narrow and has some what of a sharp edge. So one little stone on the edge of the paint, it will most likely chip. The PC on the other hand has a far better resistance to chipping. Also for a body shop to make the grill look good inside and out they will have alot of prep and wet sanding work. It will prob be much cheaper now and in the long run to have it pc'd.

Powdercoat here, it's really personal preference but if you get it painted make sure it's done professionally using auto paint. The spray cans don't hold up, it will chip. Powdercoat to me is best because it electrostatically adheres to metal and it's known to be tougher than paint. P.coat also gets into the crevices and adheres where sandpaper cannot reach before paint so that surface might also chip too in the crevices when painted.

003.jpg

pained grille shell w p.coated inserts and bowtie

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)