The Sss Drowned

juriha

Haven't been on in about a week or so except for the occasional check on the cell phone when I have a little down time, with a good reason...As you all know Hurricane Irene graced us with her presence and my area of Vermont got hit hard...real hard. I was in Maine the weekend of the 27th for my sisters wedding, and decided that I was going to try to beat the storm home so I left on Sunday at like 1000hrs. Weather was fine except drizzle until I hit the VT border, got off I-89 in Quechee to head up and over the mountains...and Woodstock was a mess, the Ottoquechee river was raging like I've never seen before with 100's of propane tanks ranging from 20 gal. to 200 gal. ripping by. I made it through the town of Woodstock, and then found that the road was completely gone...(see picture one, note propane tanks.) So I obviously turned around and headed back into town, took a right on to another road that I knew would get me home (or so I thought, RTE 106 for you NE'ers) and was traveling behind a Nissan Titan. We encountered about a foot of water on the road and we both kept on. Now in retrospect I should have just stayed put somewhere, but I had no idea what the extent of the damage was at this point and for all I knew Rte 4 was the only road gone. As we continued it was like a levy broke, the 1 ft of water went to over my hood in a flash, the Titan slammed his brakes, and I "blipped" my throttle as the water was enough brake for me and that was the end of the LQ9. The Titan also hydrolocked his motor and we helped each other safely retreat from the water. Luckily my buddy lived close by and we were able to actually push my truck out of the rushing water before it got swept away, and yes we helped the guy in the Titan as well. Got the truck towed to a shop that my LT. uses for his Jeep, the guy specializes in building bad ass off road vehicles as well as drag truck and tractors. He pulled the plugs and the motor wouldn't turn over at all, and you could hear pieces and parts dropping in the motor...He is going to be building me a motor, and overhauling the transmission. Insurance is going to cover the damage up to the amount that it would take to bring the truck back to the condition it was in before the water damage. Right now that estimate is at $6 grand. I'm currently waiting to hear back on what he thinks it will cost to build something in the 500hp range...if you guys have any ideas that would be great. Its kind of bittersweet, but the SSS will be back bigger and badder than she was. For shits and giggles the second picture is the road I live off, like 2 miles from my driveway. post-16159-052099700 1315026388_thumb.jpgpost-16159-054244900 1315026405_thumb.jpg

Like when I chatted with you the other day Hanson, I suspected you had some damage, but didn't know how much till now ... It truly sucks that amount of damage Irene left behind ... Poor SSS ....

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

Ya it sucks for sure, thanks for the words. The guy thinks I either bent or broke some connecting rods so it will be a brand new motor...I'll keep you guys posted as to what the build will entail. Wheatley, if your reading this I'm probably gonna need a retune! Hope to OT is slowin' down for ya Shuan, hasn't for us yet...be safe.

EDIT: Heres what Route 4 looks like at the base now...It was a 3 lane road.post-16159-089241100 1315032487_thumb.jpg

Ya it sucks for sure, thanks for the words. The guy thinks I either bent or broke some connecting rods so it will be a brand new motor...I'll keep you guys posted as to what the build will entail. Wheatley, if your reading this I'm probably gonna need a retune! Hope the OT is slowin' down for ya Shuan, hasn't for us yet...be safe.

Yeah ... It hasn't ... I've been ordered in to work every day this week. OT before my regular shifts ... Actually, I'm rocking an OT dispatch shift right now. Things have slowed down, but I'm worried about the next storm brewing out at sea.

Still make it down for some beers with everyone at LVD ... :thumbs: ... Be Safe ...

Some of the Roads shown, are what we travel on for the LVD - Tri-State Cruise - Video LINK - Needless to say, it will be a few years until we can use them again.

I'm with those guys do up a nice 408 and sorry/happy for your lose but why did you try the crossing in the first place? Was the depth of water deceiving to you guys?

Btw you did the right thing helping out the Titan owner.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Wow man, thats a terrible thing. Irene hit you guys hard. Glad you made it out in one piece an a sad thing about the SS. Though like you said back better than ever. Its erie to know those are some of the roads we traveled on just last year. But like Shuan said, hopefully you can come down to LVD anyway an have a few beers and hangout with everyone. Good luck man an let us know how your build goes! Chevy_anim.gif

Ya it sucks for sure, thanks for the words. The guy thinks I either bent or broke some connecting rods so it will be a brand new motor...I'll keep you guys posted as to what the build will entail. Wheatley, if your reading this I'm probably gonna need a retune! Hope to OT is slowin' down for ya Shuan, hasn't for us yet...be safe.

EDIT: Heres what Route 4 looks like at the base now...It was a 3 lane road.post-16159-089241100 1315032487_thumb.jpg

Sorry to here about the SS but glad you made it out ok .. I saw video's of rt.4 on fox news there was a couple going home from there wedding and got caught up in it and almost got washed away,,,,