4300 Vortec Turbo

do it. ford is out selling eco boost's over the 6.2

turbos that are for smaller engines are easier to come by.

the small displacement v8 just put down over 900hp in hotrod...so the power is there with 4L

I would make a list of all the parts you would need.

aside from the turbo choice, you will need to shop for:

injectors

fuel pump

fuel press regulator

a tuner (BIG factor in destroying blocks and stuff :))

cold side

innercooler

BOV

Wastegate....

once you have a list we can start talking details, budget....

Why spend 3-5k on a stock v8 when you can spend the same on TURBOED v6?

I already have a SSS that pulls its own share of horsepower but who would ever turbo a v6?

Let alone twin turbo one..

An idiot? Especially in a full size truck. dunno.gif Why not a turbo'd 4 cylinder in a pickup, I bet no one has one of those either.

An idiot? Especially in a full size truck. dunno.gif Why not a turbo'd 4 cylinder in a pickup, I bet no one has one of those either.

The same can be said about anyone who modifies a stock vehicle.

O.P. I say do it, dare to be different.

sent from my thunderbolt

sent from my thunderbolt

:withstupid: I think it would be cool. You gonna do s scsb.

I have been kicking around the idea of a 99-2002 silverado scsb bagged and body dropped on 24"s

sent from my thunderbolt

Yeah, you're right, that was way too harsh. smash.gif

It's your truck, if a turbo makes you happy, then go for it. thumb.gif I say visit a syclone or typhoon forum to see what you can do or what you can achieve with just the 4.3.

Edited by 2001silverado364 (see edit history)

I agree that it is far from cost effective. You could do a 6.0L with stock 243 heads or stock L92 heads and a mild cam which would make the same or more power on pump gas as a turbo'd 4.3L. To do a turbo 4.3L right you need a marine intake, injectors, fuel pump, turbo, intercooler, wastegate, blow off valve, etc. The stock 4.3L intake you'll want to remove and replace with the marine version and then install a set of 60lb hr injectors. On pump gas I wouldn't run the 4.3L over 10psi and even with a cam and ported heads you'd only be expecting the 350RWHP range. Add meth to that and you may make 400RWHP, but you'll be pushing it. You also won't have a workhorse on your hands like you would by putting in a V8. The 4.3L makes for a great work truck if you don't load it heavy. If you load it heavy you have to run it hard just to get enough power out of it to do the job. Put a turbo on there and you'll end up in boost constantly and that just doesn't hold up. That's part of the reason the SyTy's had no load capacity and warnings of no towing. Towing while in boost with a gas motor just doesn't work out well. EGT's climb so fast on a gas motor that very quickly overheating becomes an issue, melting parts because an issue, and detonation. If you want to put in forged pistons, oil cooler, piston oil squirters, liquid to air intercooler, 2 bar tuning, methanol injection, etc you can work the truck hard while in boost. I just don't recomend doing a turbo on the 4.3L because after you spend all the money you'll seriously end up with a truck that is different, but really has lost alot of it's truck work ability and is no faster than a 5.3L with a cam and bolt on's. Putting a turbo on a 4.3L is not cheap once you add it all up.

As for adding a turbo to a V6,I guess alot of you guys dont remember Grand Nationals???

The car that brought turbocharging into the main stream car world??Have we all forgotten Buddy Ingersoll....

And the heads are ALOT crappier than the WORST 4.3 head...

Anything with a turbo can haul ass,as long as its tuned correctly,you might just be surprised just how fast a v6 can be!!!

I know my street GN will put most LS1 F bodys to shame,even turbo 1's!!

As for adding a turbo to a V6,I guess alot of you guys dont remember Grand Nationals???

The car that brought turbocharging into the main stream car world??Have we all forgotten Buddy Ingersoll....

And the heads are ALOT crappier than the WORST 4.3 head...

Anything with a turbo can haul ass,as long as its tuned correctly,you might just be surprised just how fast a v6 can be!!!

I know my street GN will put most LS1 F bodys to shame,even turbo 1's!!

Let's not get carried away now.

And a car is a lot lighter than a pickup. And no, putting a turbo on a old iron duke won't make it "haul ass".

Let's not get carried away now.

And a car is a lot lighter than a pickup. And no, putting a turbo on a old iron duke won't make it "haul ass".

LOL,carried away??

My street GN weighs 4400 lb's with me in it and has run 6.80's in the 1/8 on radials on 19# and pump gas.Pretty fast for a "shitty" v6.

My car aint that much lighter than a pickup but you are right,it is lighter.

And yes an iron duke will haul ass if it has a properly designed and tuned turbo system.Cubic dollars can make ANYTHING fast.

Ill bet $$ there are turbo Yugo's somewhere in this world that would smoke your trucks ass!!!And a 4cyl iron duke that will too.....

Are there easier ways to go fast??? HELL YES!!! Cheaper ways to go fast?? HELL YES!!! Cooler ways to go fast??? HELL YES!!!

Nothing like the look on some punk ass bitchs face when he gets his "fast muscle cars" ass handed to him by somthing that shouldnt be fast!!!

Just like the modded Z06 Vette I SMOKED at the track a few weeks back in my NA CADILLAC ESCALADE.He ran 8.0's to my 7.80's and the look on his face and others was worth every penny I spent!!

Someday when you grow up a bit more,youll probably come to realize that anything fast is cool,even a Honda(lol)!!! Doesnt mean youre going to go buy 1 as I sure as hell wouldnt unless I want somthing that gets good gas mileage!!

Edited by broke1 (see edit history)