Thinking About Getting A Bike

Ruben525

I have a 09 Gsxr 600, and LOVE it. Since you have never had experience it will be hard to ride each brand to see which you like the best. Everyone has their own opinions on which is the best.It looks like a decent deal. I know the powers have good grip, they just don't last as long as the Road 2s or 3s.I would recommend getting Farmers insurance. They were the cheapest for me having speeding tickets in the past. 112 a month for full coverage. I ended up switching it to State Farm under my girls name for 43 a month. I know Geico quoted me around 4,500 a year though. 20K= miles is actually not that much. It has a lot of life left in it. Most of the time you see very low miles on bikes are from either being dropped, and they got scared. Or they took out a loan and can not pay it.

Check the brakes,front forks. Ask when the chain was replaced.Take it for a full throttle test run first, or bring someone with you capable of bringing the RPMs up. Ask the seller to leave it cold until you get there, and let you start it up.

Trust me it's easy to say you won't haul ass on it, until you actually feel the rush. I think everyone who has ever bought a bike has said it, including me. Just be smart. Wear gear ALL THE TIME! Sweating does not hurt. Road rash does. Sure I look like a stupid blue power ranger, but I challenge any guy in shorts, and tank top to jump off going 50 with me, and see who ends up the most hurt. I had a wreck not to long ago. Was ran off the road, and slid down the side of the street, If I wasn't wearing full gear, including motorcycle boots. I would of defiantly ended up in the hospital.

Oh yeah,

Call a rehab because you will get addicted!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in your situation. I have a bike a long time ago when I was younger, got one and layed it down doing something stupid. So since I got older I have wanted one again but nothing crazy. I just wanted something fun. So I bought a 04 Buell Firebolt XB12r and I love it. Its not a normal street bike. It looks like one but doesn't sound like one. This think is so maneuverable its crazy. And the best thing is that you can still have fun in the power band and still stay within the speed limit. As apposed to a normal street bike that when you are in the power band you are at 100 mph. Another good thing that I like about my bike is that its a Harley. So insurance doesn't look at it like a regular street bike, so insurance is so much cheaper. I picked mine up for $3500 with just under 10k miles. Either way whatever you get just be safe and keep it on two wheels. Good luck!

2011-09-05130647.jpg

Edited by Silverado777 (see edit history)

If you ride for long periods of time you might have an issue. But for around town I think you'll be alright. I went for a 9 hr ride a few weeks after I got my bike. My back wasn't so bad as it was my knees, arms and a left hand from shifting so much through the twisties. If you are concerned about it you can always look at what they call a naked bike. They have a more comfortable riding stance more like a dirt bike rather than a hunched over position. Buell make one that is just like mine. It's a Buell Lightning XB12s. They also make an XB9 in both models but arent has powerful. The XB12 is still about 103hp. The way they have it set up its fun power not kill you power. lol

Buell_lightning_XB12S_2006_11_1024x768.jpg

Edited by Silverado777 (see edit history)

Glad to see so many Power Rangers here thumb.gif

All good info you have gotten here, I cant stress MSF course, and GEAR, those are the easy things. The hardest one will be keeping your right wrist from getting you in trouble. Stay out of the city traffic as much as you can and remember you are INVISIBLE to cagers. #1 accident for bikes is some dumbass turning left in front of you. Watch cars wheels, they are the 1st thing to show motion.

On the light side...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A3b_MRimbk&feature=player_embedded

The Harley Davidson advice is hilarious!

This is what you get to look forward to.This happened to me yesterday. Don't mind my girlie scream. You will develop one toyellow_loser.gif

Here is one of what you really need to watch out for. Over cautious old people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q1lAWBo1x0

Edited by eeekroar (see edit history)

+1 for an R6! The 03-05 R6 as well as all R6s models have a crazy bottom end that is great for power wheelies. Be careful! Also, the price is too high for the bike in the top link. You could easily pay $3500 for an 03-06 R6 with less than 10k miles. Join www.r6-forum.com and start perusing the for sale section!

The Harley Davidson advice is hilarious!

This is what you get to look forward to.This happened to me yesterday. Don't mind my girlie scream. You will develop one toyellow_loser.gif

Go Pro helmet cam?

And YES thats a normal day on the road, on a bike you really see some crazy shit. peeps in cages really dont pay attention as much as riders do.

Bikes=invisible

Edited by KIKINSS (see edit history)

How much are those helmets? They sound cool.

This is my setup.

2011-09-01171732.jpg

The helmet is $650. Got it for $450 Brand New shipped!Bell Star Carbon Fiber Cerwinske.

I think the camera retails for about $300+. I got it for $220 plus external mic, so I can make Vlogs.

Edited by eeekroar (see edit history)

This is my setup.

2011-09-01171732.jpg

The helmet is $650. Got it for $450 Brand New shipped!Bell Star Carbon Fiber Cerwinske.

I think the camera retails for about $300+. I got it for $220 plus external mic, so I can make Vlogs.

Sweet pepsicheer.gif

I used to have 2 vid cameras on my bike,(front/rear view) I took them off cuz it seemed like almost every group ride I went on as soon as others saw them they seemed to grow bigger balls....then I was recording a crash instead of a nice fast twistie ride.

• 4 months later...

So I did my taxes and looks like its time to start shoping around for a bike. Everyone I have been talking to is telling me to get a 1000 but I really don't care if it's a 600 or 1000. I narrowed it down to a honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki. One of my buddies is gonna let me try out is Cbr 1000 this weekend to make sure I really want a bike and not wast my money for nothing. I really don't want to spend much more then 4k since its my first bike.