Thinking About Getting A Bike

Ruben525

So I have been wanting a bike for a few years now but with my driving record I didn't think it was a good idea. Now that I am 23 and have calmed down and think I can handle it like a responsible grown up lol. I just don't need any more speeding tickets I'm also worried about safety. The thing is I really don't know anything about bikes. What all should I ask/look for when looking at one? How many miles are too many for a bike? Not looking for anything really nice just ok since it's my first don't wanna drop a brand new bike lol. I'm only looking to spend around 3k. Here's a bike I found what do you guys think? http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/mcy/2597666710.html

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like a pretty good bike and about average miles for the year. i noticed up here in mt eveyone seems to put inbetween 4-6k on the bike a summer. i would sell you my bike but i want a little more then 3k lol. its an 09 with a little over 1000 miles is all. but that r6 seems like a nice bike and a good one to start on. honestly if you are not familiar with bikes at all you could get a ninja 250 just to get used to the streets a little better before you bump it up to a 600. the 250 is super cheap and will still do over 100mph.

Gotta love bein on 2 wheels! Make sure you take some sort of motorcycle safety course to get u started off right, what to look for in a bike? Preference I guess, you probly don't want a heavily modded bike to start off with especially since you don't exactly know what the previous owner did, so be wary of that but don't let mods discourage a bike purchase, simply be smart about it.

I think I wanna start out on a 600 I don't wanna start off small then wanna upgrade later. Yea I'm gonna go to a safety course for sure there one every weekend. I really wanna be big on safety just wanna have fun and not get hurt.

I started off on a 600, no biggie really, just don't be stupid lol. And remember good gear is some serious cash, but lookin like a power ranger is a small price to pay for losing half the skin on your arm/leg/hand/head. Plus chicks dig the gear, don't be a squid.

If you have a questionable record, I would start out by calling your insurance company and see how much it would be to insure you on that bike. That might actually be the deal breaker for you.

very good point!! i love mt. dont need insurance. but ya definatly invest in some gear and just keep a level head while riding.

If you have a questionable record, I would start out by calling your insurance company and see how much it would be to insure you on that bike. That might actually be the deal breaker for you.

Good point didn't think of that. Thanks

All very good points by the guys. Just remember, with 100 hp between your legs it seems to override your brain. be smart!!

Ive owned 8 R6's. they are all really great bikes. I would stay 03 or newer. These are all fuel injected. Not to mention, that Yamaha parts are probably the cheapest of all the manufacturers. And Ebay is flooded with parts if you knock it over.

feel free to pm me if you find a bike your interested in.

Doug

All very good points by the guys. Just remember, with 100 hp between your legs it seems to override your brain. be smart!!

Ive owned 8 R6's. they are all really great bikes. I would stay 03 or newer. These are all fuel injected. Not to mention, that Yamaha parts are probably the cheapest of all the manufacturers. And Ebay is flooded with parts if you knock it over.

feel free to pm me if you find a bike your interested in.

Doug

10-4 thanks I kinda like the one I posted the link to just wish it had black wheels.

Don't need insurance??? How dose that work? What if you get into an accident?

not sure its the crazy. i have had 3 bikes in 4 years and you dont have to have it up here like miller said it great. i have been stopped many times and they never have asked for it.

As far as a bike goes they are a blast. BUT you have to respect them. i have seen to many people buy bikes and go down on them right away. id say a used 600 would be a great bike to learn on. i was 18 when i got my first bike bought it new off the show floor 06 R6 it was a great learner bike. within the first 3 months i put 4k miles on it. i started getting stupid on it so i sold it after seeing to many people go down on them. good luck on getting a bike have fun but be safe. another reason i just got rid of my gsxr K7 1000 i cause i told myself if i start doing wheelies its gone well guess what it took no time with all that power to start doing wheelies. its super hard to control yourself with so much power. my 1000 was by far the most powerful thing i had ever been on stupid fast.

Yea one of my friends said he went 171 mph then next thing you know my other friend gos out and says he hit 181 mph that's what I don't wanna do. That's kinda what I'm worried about I don't wanna get stupid and try it or start doing wheelies.

Don't need insurance??? How dose that work? What if you get into an accident?

if you take a loan out on the bike, it depends on who is the lender if you need insurance or not. there are some companies that require you to get insurance just like with a vehicle that is finaced. i have ahad two bikes and on both i was not required to get insurance. pretty nice actually