Porting Throttlebody

OK I would like to know where the website is that tells u how to port your TB I have mine off the truck, and i have my dye grinder ready to go, I am going to post pics of the Stock TB here in a sec, I believe that the Idea behind it is smothing out all of the rigges and such, and not actualy making the opening bigger. advice is verry helpfull.. :thumbs:

Posted PICS they are huge so i will RE-Size

The areas i am thinking i should port are the ones circled, i was also thinking i sould feather the areas between the two luines...

Does anyone have some advice as to what i should use to fillin the big hole? I was thinking of taking some pipe and then using some type of epoxy to putty around it..

I definitely wouldn't attempt something like that, and there's not much on a vehicle that I won't dive into. BUT... why not have the pros do it for you, it's not that expensive... check out this link: Lingenfelter Performance If my mods take me to the point where I need my TB reworked, these would be the guys I'd turn to. Hope this helps, good luck... :D

I definitely wouldn't attempt something like that, and there's not much on a vehicle that I won't dive into. BUT... why not have the pros do it for you, it's not that expensive... check out this link: Lingenfelter Performance If my mods take me to the point where I need my TB reworked, these would be the guys I'd turn to. Hope this helps, good luck... :D

that price3 is not bad, but they don't really do anything about the air hole, i guess i could always fill that in when i got it back... :thumbs:

I thought that did something? Doesnt someone make a insert the is smooth I think its Vararam Industries VR velocity stack($30). Says its supposed to eliminate the need for ported throttle body. Seen it in Truckin Magazine.

Port it yourself, and don't worry that much about it. To fill in that hole which I would do if you had a manual TB, because all you would have to do to change the idle is to adjust the screw. Not sure if I would on a electronic controlled one unless I could tune. On the manual ones I take a straw, and cover it with a light coating of grease or wax, stick the straw(or something about the same size of the hole) down in the hole and then fill the rest of that hole in with jb weld. Then after you are done, pull out the straw, and your IAC will still work, with a much smoother hole. When you do port and polish just stick a piece of paper towel in the hole and pull it out with some needlenose pliers.

Here is my before and after porting:

http://z71.net/TB2.jpg

http://z71.net/TB1.jpg

Made a difference in power I think. But it caused some major idle issues because of the drive by wire system. The PCM knows how much air should flow when the blade is open at different intervals. By porting the TB, you really change the airflow values when the blade is near closed. To make the truck idle, the blade is opened a couple of degrees by the PCM. After porting, its idle was way too large. I think this was due to removing that tongue shaped ridge on the bottom.

I made a dozen attempts to tune with LS1 Edit to get a better idle and proper throttle response after porting. I couldn't get it back to stock like drivability. I put a stock TB back on the truck.

how bad was the idle? :sick: that dont soyund too motivating... :sigh:

Port it yourself, and don't worry that much about it. To fill in that hole which I would do if you had a manual TB, because all you would have to do to change the idle is to adjust the screw. Not sure if I would on a electronic controlled one unless I could tune. On the manual ones I take a straw, and cover it with a light coating of grease or wax, stick the straw(or something about the same size of the hole) down in the hole and then fill the rest of that hole in with jb weld. Then after you are done, pull out the straw, and your IAC will still work, with a much smoother hole. When you do port and polish just stick a piece of paper towel in the hole and pull it out with some needlenose pliers.

I was thinking of getting a brass tube and just leaving it in there, and porting that to smooth it put...

Port it yourself, and don't worry that much about it.  To fill in that hole which I would do if you had a manual TB, because all you would have to do to change the idle is to adjust the screw.  Not sure if I would on a electronic controlled one unless I could tune.  On the manual ones I take a straw, and cover it with a light coating of grease or wax, stick the straw(or something about the same size of the hole) down in the hole and then fill the rest of that hole in with jb weld.  Then after you are done, pull out the straw, and your IAC will still work, with a much smoother hole.  When you do port and polish just stick a piece of paper towel in the hole and pull it out with some needlenose pliers.

I was thinking of getting a brass tube and just leaving it in there, and porting that to smooth it put...

Some people have filled the cavity and left the hole. Filled the cavity to contour with the TB.

Vette dude - the idle speed increased because of the extra airflow. WHen I put it in gear, it would start driving itself, shifting gears and everything. At highway speeds, it felt like the cruise control was always on. It wouldn't slow down at all when I let off the petal. Braking was much more difficult since it wanted to accellerate.

I tried to cut down the idle airflow values and the IAC values. This made it not want to drive itself as much, but it would aslo die sometimes and had crazy idle rpms. Oh yeah...I had a tune PERFECT (so I thought). It drove very well, then I turned the A/C system on and the idle / throttle issues were much worse.

I think I'll port another TB, but I'll leave more material on the bottom thick area. If I can cut back some of the negative effects of the porting, I think I can tune around some minor issues. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing if I can adapt a 2005 truck throttle body and intake or LS2 vette setup to my truck.

Archived