Need New Brakes All Around

90zxdriver

My truck has needed brakes since I bought it at 60k... it now has 75k so I am way over due here. I have been putting it off till I could afford to do a big brake kit but I honestly just don't have the $ to dump into that right now since I'm trying to buy a house. Due to how bad the current brakes are, I just don't think I can put it off any longer. I really noticed how bad they are when I was cleaning the wheels today, pads are bad but the rotors are even worse.

First off, Hydroboost is getting done, regardless if I replace them with stock, aftermarket or a big brake kit. I have read too much good about the Hydroboost conversion, especially for the price. Second is stainless steel lines, changing those along with a complete brake fluid flush.

The question is, do I replace with

1) stock

2) one of those +1 (14" rotor) kits

3) just take the kick in the balls and put a big brake kit on the credit card.

Right now I have been leaning towards one of the +1 kits. They are about a grand and have larger than stock slotted rotors. Plus, my extended warranty actually covers calipers. The +1 kits utilize the stock calipers so if one ever went bad, my warranty would cover it. The same is truck if I were to use stock parts. If I went with a big brake kit then I would loose this benefit.

Right now I'm looking at these kits;

http://www.stillen.c...ET&model=PICKUP

http://www.stylintru...ontandrear.aspx

I'm hoping they will be a happy median between stock and a big brake kit. No matter what I do, I need to do something fast or stop driving the truck altogether. ANy input or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by 90zxdriver (see edit history)

Did the same thing but ordered from superbrakewarehouse.com. Just make sure you DO NOT the dimpled rotors. Just get the USR rotors. Then take the money you would spend on a big brake kit and do a hydroboost swap/

http://www.superbrakewarehouse.com/?year=2003&make=CHEVROLET&model=SILVERADO+1500&go.x=58&go.y=16&go=Submit

I have put on the Baer Alumasports, front and rear.

I know the majoritiy of the problems are my fault, because I do not drive my truck enough, but I have had to turn the rotors twice so far. Also, after about 12K miles, I'm on my second set of pads.

Brake Upgrades are great ... I personally want you to know, you can't let High Performance Brakes sit, and I personally would not buy Baer Alumasports ....

IMHO ... my $0.02 ... :thumbs:

When my truck was driven it was most 2-3 days a week and did sit for weeks at time, but had startups and idled to clear out the exhaust.

I had the stock brakes, and I couldnt complain I never "raced" the truck and were good for me as a "granny" driver.

Truck is an 03 with 64,3xxx on it and the rotors warped. The rears needed to be done, but I am going back to AC Delco cross drilled and slotted. They last a long time, and with hydroboost I think its an ideal setup for someone not pushing high hp numbers, imo.

I think that would be a great setup honestly, not the best obviously but if you go BBK you need to drive the truck more than often or wasting your cash. My truck hasnt seen the road in years. Stage 1 is just starting but the engine will not be ignited until next spring. My front rotors dont look bad at all, but I havent physically touched them....so im sure rot is their.

Also highly suggest Motul Brake Fluid.

My truck sits most of the time. If I drive it once a week, that's a lot.

exactly how mine is lol. tho sometimes i drive it like 3-4 days a week when its nice out but most of the time its home. i also store mine all winter if that helps

• 4 weeks later...

Good call on the hydroboost. It works very well. For the links you have in your post, the Stillen option seems a bit on the expensive side and its only 14". The Stylin Truck SSBC kit looks to be a better deal but still only 14". Another thing to consider is availability of replacement parts. I don't know many shops that stock Stillen and only a few that have SSBC in stock. I'd look into Baer rotors for a couple of reasons. Their kit is 15" for the front and 14" for the rear, rotors are readily available and since you already are thinking of a BBK it gives you the option to upgrade to the Z06 calipers at a later time if you choose to.

Edited by rudy91040 (see edit history)

i just did all of my brakes with EBC parts. slotted rotors on all 4 with pads costed 500ish for parts. order from summit its free shipping for EBC parts. great product so far i have no complaints

Hey man you wouldnt happen to have those part numbers would ya?