Can You Really Pull The Front Driveshaft To Dyno?

• 1 month later...

the case is a 62/38 drive. meaning the rear diff gets 68% of the 100% and the front diff gets the other 38%. i don't see any way a real hp dyno rating can evolve from that? i'm headed to the dyno in a few months and i may be over protecting myself? but i will not pull the front shaft. to many what ifs and "special ways" to so-call dyno it in the manner to not wreck anything. just my opinion.

You gotta love it when at the end of a long line exclamation points, there's a 1. Hold that shift button people!

the case is a 62/38 drive. meaning the rear diff gets 68% of the 100% and the front diff gets the other 38%. i don't see any way a real hp dyno rating can evolve from that? i'm headed to the dyno in a few months and i may be over protecting myself? but i will not pull the front shaft. to many what ifs and "special ways" to so-call dyno it in the manner to not wreck anything. just my opinion.

The NVG149 case will bias 100% (less mechanical losses) of the power to the rear wheels with the shaft removed and on the dyno. If it didn't, my old Radix / 6.0L was making over 700 to the wheels which we all know is not true.

You can pull the driveshaft during dyno runs. I made a handfull of pulls on a Mustang dyno but there is a certain way of doing it if you dont want to grenade your t-case.

The trick is to never have your foot on the brake while the unit is in drive. Tap the brake to release park safety and immediatly remove from the brake pedel. Then put the transmission in nuetral so there is no power being distributed to the t-case. Once your ready to make a pull, drop it in drive and make your pull. When letting off of the throttle put it back up in nuetral and use the dyno brakes to slow down the vehicle. Once it comes to a stop you can shut the engine off in nuetral then put it in park.

If you leave ur foot on the brake holding the rear wheels while in drive, power is being distributed to the rear and front via t-case. If your holding the rear and the front driveshaft is out you have nothing to hold the front thefore the output to the front is spinning resulting in damage to the unit.

Here is a video of my truck when it was only a few months old. I believe the only mods I had at that time was shift kit, servos, I6 TB converter, OBX headers, and comp cam along with factory injectors.

CLICK ME

I agree that you can dyno it without the front shaft. As they said, stay off the brakes when you have it stopped. Touch the pedal enough to move the shifter and let off as you're pulling it into gear. Stop the tires with it in neutral. I also understand that tuning is part of the eddy current, just don't let him load it too hard for too long. Other than in gear with your foot on the brake the most likely chance of it having an issue is if you get it hot.

• 1 year later...