Need A Converter

What's up guys? It's that time for me again. I need a new TC. I've gone through too many of these things for some reason. Anyone got a suggestion on what to run? My truck is still N/A with a Zippy Shift Kit, Zippy tune, larger cooler...

Here's my history:

Yank TT2600 - detonated in 6000 miles

Performabilt 2400-2600 - started slipping after 60k-80k miles

TBSS - Dec. 2010 - present, nasty slip into 4 gear, had codes read today, TC 4th gear failure

The truck is a daily driver for another few months with a hair under 150k. I'm not looking to go crazy price-wise but I need something that is gonna give me performance as well as hold up to alot of driving.

Keith, it's time to go with a proven unit that will hold up like a PI Vigilante or Circle D.....

Hey Keith! Well, I would agree here. A reliable, good performaing converter doesn't come cheap. My question is with 150k on the clock, how long since a refresh on that transmission? Pulling a tired trans to install a new converter may not make the most financial sagacity if you are paying for the service. Refreshing the trans at this time maybe should be considered.

For a converter, Circle D and PI have the converter simply by their rep and lack of failures. I would suggest a multi disk lock up 2800 - 3000 stall. Expect to pay $750 - 1K. :ughdance:

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on your budget, but I'd do a Vigilante if you can swing it. I'm not yet the big fan of the Circle D for trucks that are mostly street driven. The high stall race trucks that are n/a seem to fair well with them, but I haven't seen many happy other than that. The I6 TB converter GM brand or Precision seem to be good for alot of miles and stall to around 2600.

I've run a Vig converter and all though it never broke...they could never hit the stall speed i wanted, after 3 restalls. I have heard they improved since i ran it

I ran the TCS converter from Canada...and it was a monster. With more hp i have yet to run the 60 foot time that converter gave me, and it was only a 3800, now I'm running a 4500. I bought it used from Chase and i think he got his fastest 60 foot time from it as well. I ran 3 60 foot times in the 1.6's with it and the best was 1.633. The down side...i blew it up and so did Chase. So if you want to go fast....for a little while....it will do it.

Now I'm running a circle D, like zippy said, I'm happy with it, but i think the 60 foot time could be better for a 4500 stall. When i bought it, i told the guy my set up and i planned to beat the crap outta of it....and he said, ok try and break it...I'm still trying.

I mean no disrespect to the guys running a TCS converter from AZ, but i have yet to see a good 60 foot time come out of one. A lot of fast trucks, but the 60 foot times are lacking in my opinion.